UKC

Granada: info needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Darragh 19 Nov 2004
I’m spending Christmas near Granada, Andalucia, and am looking for information on local climbing (trad or sport). Anyone know how to get hold of a guidebook, or topos on the web?

Spanish climbing magazine/website Desnival have a database of crags in the region:
http://www.escuelasdeescalada.com/ingles/lista_i.php?nombre=&lugar=18&a...
there are directions to crags there, and some topos, but mostly without grades.

There’s also a link to a guidebook covering some of the best of them
http://www.libreriadesnivel.com/fichalibro.php3?ISBN=0740199
I’m not much of a linguist, but I’m assuming that “SIN EXISTENSIAS” here means out of print.
carme 19 Nov 2004
In reply to Darragh:

Loja is really good. I was there last year. And you are only at half and hour to El Chorro by car (in Málaga).

Enjoy your trip
OP Darragh 23 Nov 2004
In reply to carme:
> (In reply to Darragh)
>
> Loja is really good. I was there last year. And you are only at half and hour to El Chorro by car (in Málaga).
>
> Enjoy your trip

Thanks for this. Of course I know about El Chorro, since there are so many guidebooks etc., and it's true that Loja is closer. But there are stupendous bolted crags much closer to Granada (e.g. Los Cahorros - huge, about 10km away), and there must be brilliant trad climbing in the Sierra Nevada. So I'm still more keen to know about that.
Darragh
Serpico 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Darragh:I'd avoid los Cahorros at weekends. Also the grades are local grades, add 2 letter grades to get the French grade. Los Vados is awesome and definately worth a look.
The Desnivel guides are terrible, we couldn't believe just how bad they were. The locals are very parochial when it comes to sharing info on their crags with the magazines. At the crag however they are happy to share info with visitors. There was an article in Oct' Climber on both venues.
santi 26 Nov 2004
In reply to Darragh:
HI,
There is a pretty new guide written by local climbers covering all Granada areas...
Guía de escalada en Granada. Los Cahorros, Naranjito y los Vados--Pablo Gómez (10e)
For LOJA, desnivel magazine nº157.

good climbs!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...