UKC

Liverpool Awesome Walls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rampikino 25 Nov 2004
Should be voted the best climbing wall in England:

1. Good variety of routes.
2. Regular route changes.
3. Friendly staff.
4. Good atmosphere.
5. Gob-smackingly fantastic muffins.
6. Reasonable price.

It kicks ass.

Discuss.

Clare 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Rampikino:

seconded. Just wish I lived nearer
 IMA 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Rampikino: with ya ther, cept i think the cookies are better and i always forget my hoody in winter

saying that off i go to awesome walls to get some bouldering in a all my mates bailed on climbing 2day
OP Rampikino 25 Nov 2004
In reply to iain abernethy:

Spawny git, I'm office bound!
 IMA 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Rampikino: hehe im a student/un employed so i ahve been able to go all week during the day when its quiet, not to rub it in or anything ;0
OP Rampikino 25 Nov 2004
In reply to iain abernethy:

Enjoy it while it lasts amigo. Make the best of it. I work from home (with an office to visit from time to time like today) and earlier in the year my workload was low. So I was able to sneak off for a few hours of soloing in the peaks. Not any more!

Enjoy.

M
 Simon Caldwell 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Clare:
These are the same people who are planning a wall in Wakefield
 Clare 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

I know, it's ace. I'm a bit biased about Awesome as a) it's where I started climbing, and b) one of my friends works there, but even so...
 IMA 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon Caldwell: shud be good to ther then
 Swirly 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Clare: Who's your friend that works there?
OP Rampikino 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Clare:

I don't think it's pretentious at Awesome Walls, that makes for a good atmosphere. I also climb in Warrington regularly, which is good, but the range of lead grades is more restricted and changes less often. Plus it gets so crowded so quickly. If you go early enough you can get in some routes, then put up with the crowds until after 8.30 and then get some more in.

Clare 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Swirly:

Roger who always looks a little unkempt
 Swirly 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Clare: Ah, I don't know him by name but I think so from the description. I go so often that I know pretty much all the staff just not nessecerilry (sp.) their names.
 Clare 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Swirly:

he;s mid thirties, dark hair, generally a bit unshaven, about 5'8".
OP Rampikino 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Clare:

What grades are you two leading there?

Or don't you?
 Swirly 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Clare: Yeah I was bouldering with him Kris and Simon last time I was in.
 Clare 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Rampikino:

I don't climb there any more, my usual lead grade is 6a on a good day with a prevailing wind at the moment
Scouse Swampy 25 Nov 2004
Dont you think all the routes are set by very tall people?
 Clare 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Scouse Swampy:

I was there a couple of weeks ago and on the contrary, I thought it was much more logical than Leeds - and the clips are closer together! whoohooo!
 Swirly 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Scouse Swampy: Some of them are and Jamies feel like they are cos he's so strong he can pull down so far. But I don't care cos I'm 6' 2"
OP Rampikino 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Scouse Swampy:

I have to admit, being just short of 6 foot I do have an advantage.

I'm comfortable at 6a, taking on a few 6a+ and 6b at the moment.
In reply to Clare:
> the clips are closer together

closer together than Leeds? Blimey, they must be practically touching!
Scouse Swampy 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Rampikino:
Well not all of the routes. I'm 6ft myself so it's not too much of a problem. Leading at about 5c so I'm ok, but my mate Rob who's a short ass finds it frustrating when leading! Besides that though a good all round facility with good sweet treats!
 Clare 25 Nov 2004

Simon, a thought: if you're about to post something that you suspect *might* come across as patronising and condescending (as this post probably does to you) I'd take a moment, step away from the keyboard and think about whether you really want to come across as such a challenging individual.

As I say, just a thought.
In reply to Clare:
What if I'm about to post something that I in no way suspect might come across in that way? And which even in retrospect I find hard to see could be seen like that?

Anyway, sorry if any offense was caused, entirely unintentional. Maybe I should add that I get terrified when even a few inches above the last bolt

Clare 25 Nov 2004

oops, sorry for snapping, it just sounded a little, er, contentious to me, but then I've got a cold so I'm feeling touchy anyway...

<shrinks back into hole>

OP Rampikino 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Clare:

Hey, don't worry yourself.

This actually made a change - a nice string about a nice place to go climbing.

All's well

In reply to Clare:
It was just that at Leeds (and elsewhere), it's only ever one move above a bolt before you can (at a stretch!) reach the next one.
I guess it's a safety/insurance thing, but when I get onto bolted routes outdoors it always takes a while to get to grips with the sometimes multi-metre gaps between bolts =:-0

Anyway, roll on Awesome Wakefield
OP Rampikino 25 Nov 2004

The gap between bolts at Liverpool is quite short, the ones at Marple are just weird - they can't seem to make up their mind where to put them. The Foundry is possibly the most consistent.

M
 Clare 25 Nov 2004

that big gap thing shocked/terrified me when I went to Spain for my first sport climbing session

eeek!
Ian J 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Rampikino: Awesome walls is great, I think Liverpool could stand another modern wall though. Theres no decent walls in Cheshire or North Wales either. (By North Wales I mean Mold, Flint, Wrexham etc, etc. Everyone I know from these areas goes to Awesome or Warrington, thats why there always so busy, they cater for enormous catchments.
OP Rampikino 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Ian J:

Yes, you're right. They also have sudden peaks which are to do with sudden rises in Student numbers. (No offence meant).

Watch what happens in January after the xmas break - it will be packed in Warrington.
 Swirly 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Rampikino: I'd recommend not going to awesome next wednesday then.
OP Rampikino 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Swirly:
Why, competition? Free student night?

Go on?
 Swirly 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Rampikino: Liverpool Uni club will be there, although on other nights when we've gone it hasn't made that much of a difference.
OP Rampikino 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Swirly:

Ok. Well I have a xmas do on Weds so that won't be a problem.

I tend to find Warrington worse than Awesome for over-crowding.
 Andy Farnell 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Rampikino: Having just looked at the Premier Post that Dave has put up, it's great to see he's keeping his customers informed about the changes taking place due to the BICC and the fact the prices will be reduced afterwards as the amount of available leading will be down due to resetting.

Awesome Walls - great isn't it

Andy F
Ian J 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Rampikino: Yeah, Warrigumo is worse.
Ian J 30 Nov 2004
In reply to Rampikino: If anyones working any routes at Awesome then you need to box them off before wednesday beacause all the routes are being changed for a competition.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...