UKC

What's good to do near Plas Y Brenin?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steveP 25 Nov 2004
Quick question. I'm on a course next week at Plas Y Brenin and have wednesday afternoon off. Could anyone suggest a good wet weather route? Looking for a decent buttress or gully at about severe-ish that could be done in big boots. The north wales equivalent of Corvus. Cheers!
The Voice of Reason 25 Nov 2004
In reply to steveP: Debbie who works in the Bryn Tyrch, or you could always get up on one of the classic routes on Tryfan!
OP steveP 25 Nov 2004
In reply to The Voice of Reason:

The Bryn Tyrch?
In reply to steveP: Pub, Debbie is an 'accomodating' barmaid!
OP steveP 25 Nov 2004
In reply to The Voice of Reason:

Debbie does Plas Y Brenin eh? Not one I've seen
In reply to steveP: There was a bird called Anna there a few years ago who did 5 in one sitting!

Apparent she was known as Airtight Anna!
 Greenbanks 25 Nov 2004
In reply to steveP:

Get along into Ogwen and whip up one of the E Face of Tryfan routes - 3-4 hours round trip.
 Ali 25 Nov 2004
In reply to steveP: Would second Tryfan as a very accessible mountain with loads of routes to choose from...can't guarentee the wet weather I'm afraid, but it often rains in Wales... Enjoy!
 SidH 25 Nov 2004
In reply to steveP:
not sub-cneifion rib, and probably not anything on idwal slabs (polished+wet=bad)
 joe king 25 Nov 2004
In reply to steveP:

Grooved arete was great in the dry. there are about 4 to chose from in classic rock.

cenotaph corner in the wet?
 Swirly 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Greenbanks: I'd have suggested Tryfan but not at this time of year. I can't imagine many people getting to the summit from PyB in 3 hours. 3 hours is all the time between 1 when I would assume the morning session finishes to 4 when it's dark and it would probably take 1 hour to get from PyB to being racked up with 6-8 pitches to the summit.

I'd suggest something on Milestone butress, possibly the direct.
 sutty 26 Nov 2004
In reply to steveP:

I know it is nice asking on here but it may be better to ask the instructors what routes you are doing with them. They can then suggest something suitable for the time you have free
 Chris M 26 Nov 2004
In reply to sutty:

Pulpit route and ivy chimney on milestone buttress, excellent big boot wet weather route, with the ivy chimney pitch (go through the hole) being one of my favourite pitches in the uk.
 Greenbanks 26 Nov 2004
In reply to Swirly:

A good fit young 'un? Easy!!
 Simon Caldwell 26 Nov 2004
In reply to SidH:
Ordinary route on Idwal is good in the rain, potentially you could continue to the Cneifion Arete but I can never be bothered if the cloud's down.

And of course there's Lockwood's Chimney. Or Bryant's Gully which is more of a scramble than a climb, but great fun when in spate - worth missing out the bit just above the big chockstome if you're on your own as it's pretty loose.
 Dale Berry 26 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
> (In reply to SidH)
> Ordinary route on Idwal is good in the rain,

Yes if you like climbing waterfalls.

Simon Caldwell 26 Nov 2004
FootFaggot 26 Nov 2004
In reply to steveP: You've got to do Lockwoods chimney - did it last night with about 20 otherfellow students from bangor uni. Would highlt recomended - the chimney itself is quite unbelievable and we only lost one girl due to hypothermia! Also a bit of advice dont do what my non trad climbing, bouldering mate did: he led the chimney pitch but rather than following the bottom of the chimney after the chockstone he decided to carry straight on up - probably at least an E1 and promptly took a 20 foot slide back down the chimney after ripping a bit of gear.

Awesome for shits and giggles!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...