UKC

Pete Kirton and Rob Gawthorpe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lummox 07 Dec 2004
those two seemed to be way out ahead of most of the competition in terms of pure difficulty- Vienna, China Syndrome etc.etc in the early 80`s. Any of the more experienced hands on here know either of them and if they`re still climbing? I keep meaning to ask Pete " Almscliff" Brown if he knew either of them.
Yorkspud 07 Dec 2004
In reply to lummox:

Mate of mine had a good Pete Kirton story:

they wee staying in the Bowderstone Hut years ago and my mate, thinking to gain some insights in training etc, asked PK what was the best time to go bouldering. PK looked up and out of the window, past which a mostly female outdoor pursuits group were passing, and said...

"Now"

And went out the door.

Its probably bollox
OP lummox 07 Dec 2004
In reply to Yorkspud: lol. But it should be true.
 graeme jackson 07 Dec 2004
In reply to lummox: I also have a Bowderstone Pete Kirton story. Jerry moffat was struggling in a problem for a while then Pete breezed it wearing his wellington boots after which moffat left muttering 'f*ckin wellies' under his breath.

Used to climb alongside (but not actually with - not good enough) pete when i was in the NMC in the early eighties. incredibly talented and phenomenally strong. Wonder where he is now.
 JDal 07 Dec 2004
In reply to graeme jackson:
Here's an article Pete wrote for the NMC newsletter, in 1985 by the looks of it, which may throw some light on things:
http://www.thenmc.org.uk/pages/newsletter/content/workingclass.htm
graeme alderson 08 Dec 2004
In reply to lummox: As far as I know Pete is working as a nurse in Sheffield.

My Pete related claim to fame is that I once out drank him, he had an early train to catch back to NE and I woke him up with a pint of home brew, him having crashed out a couple of years earlier.

Remember kids binge drinking is not big, its not clever, but it happens.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...