UKC

TNF Hyvent-anygood?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Catc22h 24 Dec 2004
Considering buying new shell in upcoming sales. Found perfedt TNF jacket for my requirements, but it is cionstructed from their own Hy-vent. How does it compare with Goretex/Goretex XCR?-Tried searching forum and couldn't find anything of help. Budget is around £200.
Tom Fuller 24 Dec 2004
In reply to Catc22h: I've got a TNF McMurdo Parka for travelling in Siberia- it's excellent. It's made of the HyVent material but I've never really raised a proper sweat in it so couldn't comment much on it's breatheability.

Cheers,

Tom.
Dave Hunter, Rock + Run 24 Dec 2004
In reply to Catc22h:

The HyVent membrane is not as breathable as XCR.

That said, the face fabric and DWR can make a big difference to breathability.

If breathability is of prime concern buy an eVent waterproof.

Otherwise the HyVent should be fine.

But don't expect miracles from any waterproof jacket on the breathability front.
rhj 24 Dec 2004
In reply to Catc22h:

My understanding is that Hyvent is just a cheap type of breathable material that involves a laminate being sprayed onto the material. This is distinctly different from the construction of any gore tex fabric which is a layered contruction (2, 2.5 or 3 layers). Basically, without getting technical gore tex will be a lot more breathable. XCR just takes the technology further and is therefeore even more breathable than standard GT. If your budget is 200 quid, then I'd just wait until the sales - you should be able to pick up something fairly good for that amount of cash. Just make sure you go to a good shop and they'll be able to offer much more technical advice.

The bottom line is that whatever hard shell you buy, if you're being active then you'll sweat like a trooper whatever you're wearing IMHO.
In reply to rhj:

I've seen several independent test results of waterproof/'breathables'. XCR is slightly more breathable than HyVent. That's all.

I completely agree with your last comment. And eVent is the only way to go to maximise breathability.
 JimmAwelon 24 Dec 2004
In reply to Catc22h: My bro has some HyVent trousers and they are fine and alot of skiiers he knows have it. If you are getting a whole shell get trousers/sallopettes in the cheaper stuff as you dont get as hot down there and splash the cash on teh top half.
Tom Fuller 24 Dec 2004
In reply to rhj: Good point about the sales. I got a pair of TNF summit series XCR trousers last year at 80% off!

Cheers,

Tom.
Catc22h 24 Dec 2004
In reply to Tom Fuller:
> (In reply to rhj) Good point about the sales. I got a pair of TNF summit series XCR trousers last year at 80% off!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom.

Do you remember where from?
Catc22h 24 Dec 2004
In reply to Catc22h: On the whole would it be fair to say that there isn't a great deal to choose between the fabrics in most practical situations?
 halfaseesaw 24 Dec 2004
In reply to Catc22h: I digress slightly from the OP but does anyone know the best waterproofing spray/treatment for Hyvent?
In reply to Catc22h:

That would be a reasonable assumption. Except eVent is twice as breathable as XCR under the most favourable conditions for XCR.

XCR is more breathable than most of its competition but not by too much. 20-30% is typical.

Bear in mind a heavy (which many folk think of as durable but its the INSIDE of a jacket that will wear out first, not the outside) face fabric will tend to reduce breathability. As will excessive layering beneath the jacket. Or too much dead space due to the jacket being oversized (men are particularly prone to buying jackets that are blatantly too big).
Tom Fuller 24 Dec 2004
In reply to Catc22h: Yeah, a shop in Whistler Village, probably not much help...

Cheers,

Tom.
James Jackson 24 Dec 2004
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run:

eVent is clearly a very good material, but the thing that worries me is how rugged it is. The jackets I've seen all seem wafer thin, and look like the wouldn't stand a thrashing on a route. Any real world experience to comment on this?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...