UKC

Macpac stealth or Arc'teryx easyrider?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mat cooper 30 Dec 2004
Hi any opinions on either if these softshells? I wont have a chance to try on before i order as its 2-3hrs drive to the nearest retailer. They will prob be the same price as id order the easyrider off ebay from the usa.

Thanks,
MAT
Dave Hunter, Rock + Run 30 Dec 2004
In reply to mat cooper:

Macpac is lighter and has a hood.

Easyrider is warmer but lacks a hood.

Both Powershield.

What do you want em for?
Tarqs 30 Dec 2004
In reply to mat cooper:

Can't offer an opinion on either i'm afraid, though the Arc'teryx stuff i have is extremely well made. I have a question though, do you not get stung duty when you bring stuff in from the states? I recently bought a $20 t-shirt and got charged duty on the $20 and the cost of shipment. Not amused.
OP mat cooper 30 Dec 2004
In reply to Tarqs: Ah! hadnt thought about tax, does anyone know if this is a problem?
I want it for climbing, walking, pubbing, goin to college, everything really! Thats why im prepared to pay alot for the best because it will be more a matter of when wont i wear it! Ive got a ME guide windstopper that i wear all the time at the mo but its crap.

Thanks,
MAT
 Tom M Williams 30 Dec 2004
In reply to mat cooper: You'll get stung for tax on stuff over about £20 from America.
Gerard 06 Jan 2005
In reply to mat cooper:

Macpac Stealth, have lived in mine for a couple of winters and alpine seasons - its great!!

Gerard
Max Gough 06 Jan 2005
In reply to mat cooper:

Thought the Easyrider was cut/designed for snowboarding, in which case it might fit a bit baggy for technical use. I may be wrong though.
IainM 06 Jan 2005
In reply to Tom M Williams:
> (In reply to mat cooper) You'll get stung for tax on stuff over about £20 from America.

Unless you deal with a private seller who wraps it up and writes 'gift' on the customs declaration.

Check on the individual e-bay auctions as some openly state that they will do this and some go as far to say that if it does get taxed then they will pay it.

I've bought two items on e-bay from the US and this has worked. Conversely I have purchased from US companies mail order and always had to pay tax. I guess it is pot luck as to how HMC are on duty when your package arrives.
IainM 06 Jan 2005
In reply to IainM:
p.s. this was for electrical items. Take care on eBay for branded goods as there are some clear copies.
 Ben C 06 Jan 2005
In reply to mat cooper: I love my Easyrider its greatits goes well over me gamma hoody for refueling as they say in Canada !
OP mat cooper 06 Jan 2005
In reply to Ben C: Hi thanks i notice the easyrider has high loft insulation as well as powershield is it breathable enough to use over a baselayer when moving fast? Or will the macpac stealth with just powershield be more breathable?
Thanks for the replys everyone MAT
OP mat cooper 11 Jan 2005
In reply to mat cooper: Hi, anyone know if the easyrider is breathable enough over a baselayer for moving fast? (as it as high loft)

Thanks,
MAT
MattNZ 10 Feb 2005
If it's warmth you want, then go for the Arc'teryx, but if it's a technical shell you want, get the Macpac. Both are (IMHO) the best quality brands on the market. Powershield on its own is not very warm. I have an Arc'teryx Gamma MX Hoody and I'd get pretty cold without something pretty warm under or over it.

With regards to import duty: yesterday I got stung £42 for an Arc'teryx Theta AR jacket I bought from eBay. Parcel Force were very helpful and defined the rules for import duty.
This is from their letter/invoice to me:
"All goods entering the EU with a value exceeding £18 (for commercial items including Internet/mail order purchases), or £36 in th ecase of girfts between private individuals, are generally subject to Customs charges. Normally charges are calculated upon the declared value (plus postage for commercial items)."
m0unt41n 10 Feb 2005
Cant avoid VAT plus whatever duty is charged.
Arcteryx is a lot cheaper from Altitude-Sports.com but make sure you select the Canadian currency. If they ship via Canadian Post they say you dont generaaly get charged duty, if by UPS you do. UPS costs pretty crazy.

I wanted an Arcteryx Bora 95 Backpack £180 plus VAT plus 2.7% customs plus shipping from Altitude Sports but UPS is £80 !! Snow & Rock want £355 for it plus special order charge plus 50% deposit not refundable if doesnt fit. Rip off with bells on.

Will get a Macpac Glissade instead. They are cheaper in UK than in the shops in New Zealand where they are made.
MattNZ 10 Feb 2005
In reply to ian2u: Yep the Glissade is an excellent pack - can take the nastiest stuff the NZ bush can throw at it. Unfortunately Macpac's production has moved to China (since 2003), but the quality is still very high. I never did figure out why Macpac gear was cheaper in the UK than in NZ... it doesn't matter now that I live in the UK, but I always felt a little 'betrayed'...
m0unt41n 11 Feb 2005
In reply to MattNZ:
I've had a Pursuit 50 for a few years and it has taken a hell of a bashing but wash it in the bath and it looks like new (bath doesnt though as I keep being told) also got a Tekapo daypack. Macpac is nice clean simple design with bomb proof materials and workmanship. They have a company that does repairs in UK and they will modify / change your pack for a modest charge. Add tool straps, zip pulls, velcro ice axe straps instead of daft plastic things makes it ideal.
Ian

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...