UKC

buying arc'teryx.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 IMA 05 Jan 2005
anyone know anywhere near liverpool/chester that sells this stuff, ellis brigham are supposed to but i couldn't find any in their chester store.

can travel to manchester etc with ease, so any distance that isnt a huge trek

all advice and critisism welcome
 CENSORED 05 Jan 2005
In reply to iain abernethy: Go to Betws Y Coed, hit Rock Bottom, lot's of Arcteryx Clearance gear!
OP IMA 05 Jan 2005
In reply to CENSORED: cheers, il head their as soon as im fit enough to drive lol
 CENSORED 05 Jan 2005
In reply to iain abernethy: I got a nice alpine sack for £115 instead of £200 at new year, TBH it's worth the price I paid, not worth £200

I can't understand why their gear is SO expensive, that equates to $390 for a 45 litre sack!
OP IMA 05 Jan 2005
In reply to CENSORED: after the beta AR pants for skiing n mountineering etc, if the sacks look good would consider but atm looking at a new opsrey lol.
would buy in the states but im going skiing before im going there next
 CENSORED 05 Jan 2005
In reply to iain abernethy: They had some cheap osprey deals in there as well, but I think the R&R deals are slightly better!
Dave Hunter, Rock + Run 05 Jan 2005
In reply to CENSORED:

Its (very) expensive for two reasons:

obsessive attention to small details
Canadian manufacturing
OP IMA 05 Jan 2005
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: would you recommend the gear or something else (need all round pants for ice climbing skiing climbing the lot really lol)
 TobyA 05 Jan 2005
In reply to iain abernethy: On Osprey packs - I got an aether 32 for 30 quid, but its nots that great. Fussy and floopy. Glad I didn't pay full price for it.
 CENSORED 05 Jan 2005
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: I understand that, which is why i normally look longingly and then buy something made in the far east, but at almost $2 to £1, why are the US prices still almost at parity? Are the middle men really creaming off that much?
 CENSORED 05 Jan 2005
In reply to iain abernethy: Have a go at importing from the states? I've just got a sony waterproof camera case through with no duty!

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/search/vendor_results.asp?vendor=1168&...

Have minutemen goretex XCR ski bibs for $229, that's £130 even if you get bumped for some duty, you're probably still onto a winner?
In reply to CENSORED:

Import duties usually account for a good bulk of it. Also the US market is HUGE. No really, bigger than huge, gigantic. Economies of scale. Lower overheads. Less sales tax (generally).

Blame protectionism and the taxman.
 CENSORED 05 Jan 2005
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: I blame the taxman for everything!

In reply to iain abernethy:

Winter pants? Patagonia MixMaster. There is no better, there is no debate.

But if you mean waterproofs (unnecessary for winter climbing skiing imnsho) then summat stretchy and well cut. Stretch Element spring to mind. But no waterproof is breathanble enough (except perhaps, and only perhaps, eVent and you can't get stretch eVent).
 CENSORED 05 Jan 2005
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: Although if we were in the Euro, then they'd be dealing with a huge european market, and we could still utilise the economies of scale (like TNF used to)
OP IMA 05 Jan 2005
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: cheers, but outa my price range. can get the arc'teryx at around £160 due to a friends discount
 CENSORED 05 Jan 2005
In reply to iain abernethy: You don't wanna go shouting about things like that on here!!!!!

GrahamD 05 Jan 2005
In reply to CENSORED:

Don't confuse the Canadian $ with the US $. The Canadian $ is doing better against the US $ than Sterling at the moment.
In reply to CENSORED:

Sooner we go Euro the better I say. Unfortunately nobody listens to me. If they did, the world would be a better place.
 CENSORED 05 Jan 2005
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: We all listen to you, why do you think everyones running round scotland in mixmasters at the minute!
 CENSORED 05 Jan 2005
In reply to GrahamD: I'm not, I was comparing UK prices with US$ prices, if the canadian dollar is doing better against the US$, then surely they should be paying silly prices like we are asked to.
 GrahamD 05 Jan 2005
In reply to CENSORED:

I'm with you now ! all I can say is the A'tx stuff never seemed particularly cheap even in Canada.
 CENSORED 05 Jan 2005
In reply to GrahamD: No worries! I agree that it is very expensive (but it is very well made!!)
Toby M 05 Jan 2005
In reply to CENSORED:
> why do you think everyones running round scotland in mixmasters at the minute!
you'll get awful hot running round in such warm clothing

In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run:

> Also the US market is HUGE. No really, bigger than huge, gigantic

I think you may be confusing market size with target market...

Oddly, a mate of mine went to the US on business, out there for three months. He was looking for a waterproof at the time, so I gave him the names of the big US manufacturers. He couldn't find any of them anywhere.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...