UKC

Costa Blanca Rockfax - the new Blockbuster!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 06 Jan 2005
In reply to Alan James - UKC:
To the folks who returned to their hire cars over Christmas to find a Toix MiniGuide tucked behind their wipers (can't imagine who did that!), here is the rest of the book!!

Chris
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 06 Jan 2005
I have just updated the FREE Bellús MiniGUIDE with the information from the new guidebook - http://www.rockfax.com/publications/miniguides/item.php?id=76
Tim Gardener 07 Jan 2005
In reply to Alan James - UKC: How much if I pop round to your house to pick up my copy
 Chris Fryer 07 Jan 2005
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Glad to see you retain some modesty about what you do.
Just added a big free map to the area with all the crags marked on it. Should be very useful especially when the book is available - http://www.rockfax.com/areas/costa-blanca/images/cb-map.pdf

Alan
In reply to Chris Fryer:
> Glad to see you retain some modesty about what you do.

It's an advert; that's what adverts do. Besides, we have won awards and broken a few moulds (however it is unlikely that you will be able to get your copy to sing and dance).

Alan
Dave Matthews 09 Jan 2005

wILL THE GUIDE BE IN THE SHOPS IN THE PEAK DISTRICT ON THE 24TH jAN TO PURCHASE AS I AM GOING TO aLICANTE ON THE 25TH jAN
In reply to Dave Matthews:
> wILL THE GUIDE BE IN THE SHOPS IN THE PEAK DISTRICT ON THE 24TH jAN TO PURCHASE AS I AM GOING TO aLICANTE ON THE 25TH jAN

I doubt it. I'll know more in a couple of days. We always try and get the books to online mail order customers first so that it the best chance although I am not 100% certain that we will be able to despatch the online orders by Friday 21st although I am 95% certain.

Not much help but until the book is actually printed the precise date is difficult to ascertain.

Alan
 Chris Fryer 10 Jan 2005
In reply to Alan James - UKC: "The set of crag-shots assembled is breathtaking, open the book and you can almost smell the herbs and feel the sun on your face, radiating of the golden glowing rock walls"

I guess this depends what you do with your herbs!!!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 10 Jan 2005
In reply to Chris Fryer:
It looked pretty good rolling of the press today - though oddly it didn't smell of herbs - more of ink!

Chris
J2 10 Jan 2005
In reply to Chris Craggs:

try mixing some thyme and a little rosemery into the ink! shud help out a little!!
Dave Matthews 13 Jan 2005

Alan-thanks for your answer on when the book will be out. Have ordered it online and hope it will get to me forthe 25thJan for my trip tp Spain.

DAve Matthews
Sam M 14 Jan 2005

Just to say that we should have copies for sale here as soon as they are out

If anyone wants me to hold a copy for them drop me an email.

sam@theorangehouse.net

MikeG 17 Jan 2005
In reply to Alan James - UKC: I guess that the book selling machine has probably seperated Mallorca and El Chorro from the Costa Blanca Guide? An obvious thing to do perhaps but is the Costa Del Sol/Andalucia guide in the pipeline then? Or are you and Mr Craggs going to write them up in separate guides and then amalgamate them when you get skint? Oo, catty! Hell, you got a business to run and holidays to finance! But seriously, the western end of Andalucia has bolted crags that need the Rockfax touch. Casares looks spectacular.
stonedonkey 18 Jan 2005

I like all guide books for different reasons, and I have a nice set of RockFax starting with the first Yorkshire guide.

So I'm just curious, you refer in your promotional email to "award winning, mould breaking - so well received"

1 What awards?
2 How well are the guides received in other parts of the world? I should imagine they are popular in the rest of Europe, I've seen them in the shops in Spain, and in the hands of a number of continental climbers.
Do the guides sell well in the US and Japan?

In reply to stonedonkey:
> So I'm just curious, you refer in your promotional email to "award winning, mould breaking - so well received"
>
> 1 What awards?

Peak Gritstone East won the Outdoor Writers' Guild Guidebook of the year in 2002 and Western Grit won the same award in 2004.

http://www.owg.org.uk/news/3.html

> 2 How well are the guides received in other parts of the world? I should imagine they are popular in the rest of Europe, I've seen them in the shops in Spain, and in the hands of a number of continental climbers.

Difficult to assess really. We do get some very positive feedback from people all over Europe - some of these comments are in the 'User Reviews' sections of the various books especially this one - http://www.rockfax.com/publications/books/reviews.php?id=63

> Do the guides sell well in the US and Japan?

The US guides sell well in the US however exporting them is expensive so the books aren't very competatively priced by the time the Euro-books reach the States. I have no idea about Japan.
In reply to MikeG:
> (In reply to Alan James - UKC) I guess that the book selling machine has probably seperated Mallorca and El Chorro from the Costa Blanca Guide? An obvious thing to do perhaps but is the Costa Del Sol/Andalucia guide in the pipeline then? Or are you and Mr Craggs going to write them up in separate guides and then amalgamate them when you get skint? Oo, catty! Hell, you got a business to run and holidays to finance! But seriously, the western end of Andalucia has bolted crags that need the Rockfax touch. Casares looks spectacular.

Yes, there is just too much information to get into the triple book again. Mallorca is currently in MiniGUIDE format - http://www.rockfax.com/publications/miniguides/item.php?id=88
El Chorro is soon to appear in MiniGUIDE format. Both of these will eventually make expanded books of their own but we are not sure when at this stage.

Alan
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 18 Jan 2005
In reply to stonedonkey:
The last book with all three venues in was 360 pages and the new 'Blanca Only' one is approaching that. If we had put all three in the new book you would have needed a wheelbarrow to get it up to the cliff!!

Chris
Update on availablity -

The Costa Blanca book is being promised from the printers for next Monday 24th. There were some delays with the printing which has knocked it on a couple of days from our expected date, however I still haven't given up hope of getting copies before the weekend.

The Peak Bouldering Book is now available and should be in the shops by this weekend with online orders despatched this week as well.
 Iain@CragX 18 Jan 2005
In reply to Alan James - UKC: It's in at least a few shops today. I should think most places in the Sheffield area will have it by now.

Iain
Dave Matthews 18 Jan 2005
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Alan- rOCK AND rUN HAVE SAID THAT THERE IS NO WAY THE cOSTA bLANCA GUIDE WILL GET TO ME FOR THE 25TH jAN TO GO TO sPAIN WHICH IS REALLY DISAPPOINTING AS WE WANTED IT FOR THE mURCIA AREA.i HAVE TRIED TO CANCEL MY ORDER AS IT IS OF NO USE TO ME BUT THEY WON'T DO THIS. WE ARE KEEN TO CLIMB AT lA PANOCHA, eSCUELAS AND cUEVA aHUMADA. Can you forward me directions to the above areas at dm-adventure@supanet.com. If I download details of the routes from your website to these areas do I have to pay for it

dAVE mATTHEWS

Is there something wrong with your caps lock?

Sorry but I can't forward you the information you want however I can assure you that Rock+Run will cancel your order if you ring them up. We don't take any money off orders before we receive the books so no orders have actually even been processed yet. Cancelling the order is very straightforward.

We are still hopeful that we may get some copies through before the weekend but it is looking less likely now.

Alan
 Michael Ryan 19 Jan 2005
In reply to Chris Fryer:
> (In reply to Alan James - UKC) Glad to see you retain some modesty about what you do.

I was surprised at that too Chris. It's not like Alan to blow his own trumpet - not like him at all.

What's happened to him? Has he gone all American on us.

Mick

Michael Ryan 19 Jan 2005
In reply to stonedonkey:
> (In reply to Alan James - UKC)

> 2 How well are the guides received in other parts of the world?

This may give you some indication from a US perspective. It's a bit Mick-centric only because I'm over here and Alan is over there (change here and there around depending where you are). Alan is the driving force.

"What Other US Guidebook Publishers Are Saying About
Rockfax Guidebooks"

---------------------------------------------------------------
“Rockfax has developed the industry standard”

Marc Bourdon

“Huge thanks to..Mick Ryan and Rockfax guidebooks for
editing topos and being a great help in general.

Mick, Thanks for your ongoing advice, help, and
support about guidebooks.”

Chris McNamara
Publisher and author.
SUPERTOPO
Quotes from his ‘High Sierra Climbing Supertopo’
California, USA, 2004.

“I'd like to thank Mick Ryan and Alan James of Rockfax
guidebooks for providing inspiration and allowing me
to borrow the excellent and popular icon format that
Rockfax has developed after years of setting the
industry standard.”

Marc Bourdon
Publisher, author and mountain guide.
QUICKDRAW PUBLICATIONS
Quote from his ‘Squamish Select’ guidebook, British
Columbia, CANADA, 2004.

“Thanks to Mick Ryan of Rockfax guidebooks, a fellow
believer that guidebooks should be more than just a
bunch of numbers and topos. Mick answered more
questions about how to write a guidebook than he
deserved, kept me well fed and well liquored up on
Stone IPA's after marathon East Side climbing days,
and kept telling me I was doing a great job.”

Bob Banks
Publisher and author.
Quote from his guidebook ‘Ocean's Eleven - bouldering
around Santa Barbara’,
California, USA, 2003.

“Mick,

Thanks for the inspiration and advice. You the Man!”

Marty Lewis
Publisher and author.
MAXIMUS PRESS
Quote from his ‘Mammoth Area Rock Climbs’, California,
USA,2004.

I am indebted to Mick Ryan and Alan James at Rockfax
for the inspiration of their excellent guidebooks and
loaning me their Rockfax symbol font.

Dave Pegg
Publisher and author.
WOLVERINE PUBLISHING
Quote from his guidebook, ‘Western Sloper’, Colorado,
USA, 2002.

A huge thanks to Mick Ryan and Alan James for
providing the format and infamous Rockfax Symbols for
this guide, and the impetus for this entire project.

Jason Huckaby
Publisher and author.
MAINE VERTICAL
Quote from his guidebook ‘Acadia’,
Maine, USA, 2002.

Thanks to Mick Ryan of Rockfax for talking me into
doing the first edition of this guide and for allowing
us to use the Rockfax format for this second edition.

Ward Smith
Publisher and author.
RUMNEY CLIMBERS COALTION
Quote from his guidebook to ‘Rumney’,
New Hampshire, USA 2001

StefanB 19 Jan 2005
> We don't take any money off orders before we receive the books so no orders have actually even been processed yet.

Are you sure? My credit card was charged a while ago.

Note: I am not complaining! I do not wish to cancel my order! Just noticied when looking at my statement earlier.

Steff
In reply to StefanB:
> (In reply to Alan James - UKC)
> [...]
>
> Are you sure? My credit card was charged a while ago.

Yes, I was wrong with that one, as Greg informed me yesterday. They have been charging them slowly since the orders started coming in. To do them all at once when the book is available takes ages and delays sending the books out, especially when dealing with the duff cards. Also, a lot of people order more than just a book so their order is done at once.

However you are correct and my initial statement isn't. Apologies if this has confused anyone.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 19 Jan 2005
In reply to Mick Ryan:
Alan asked for 'something a little different" so 'something a little different' was what he got. "A bit brassy" was the way I described the plug!

Chris

Wait 'till you see the book, then you will realise its all true!!
 Simon Caldwell 20 Jan 2005
When will we know if we're one of the 1st 100? I'm guessing I am as I ordered on the day of the announcement but I'm probably 101st
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
> When will we know if we're one of the 1st 100? I'm guessing I am as I ordered on the day of the announcement but I'm probably 101st

Not sure. I suspect it will be wwhen it arrives through the door. We didn't get over 100 orders on day 1, or even week 1, so you are probably ok.
Rob Fearn 20 Jan 2005

We have cunningly placed orders for the first hundred books into a separate pile in our warehouse. Orders in this pile will receive the limited edition signed copies.

Please do not ask me if your name is one of the lucky 100, as this will spoil the Christmas day like excitement you will experience if you are a lucky recipient.

BTW Simon, you are not far of the mark with your estimate, you are actually number 98!

Cheers

Rob Fearn - Rock + Run
 Simon Caldwell 20 Jan 2005
In reply to Rob Fearn:
Blimey, sounds like a popular book! Good job we're going somewhere else this year, there'll be queues at every crag
 StefanB 20 Jan 2005
In reply to Rob Fearn:

What if I don't like anyone scribbling on my brand new book?

Steff
Rob Fearn 20 Jan 2005
In reply to StefanB:

If you have ordered in the first few days (Before the 10th) and you don't want an exclusive, limited edition signed copy, follow the instructions below:

Email me at : Rob@rockrun.com (before Wednesday 27th.)
Subject : Don't soil my rockfax!

Include your name, address and order number!

Cheers

Rob - Rock + Run
The book will be arriving with us on Monday and we hope to get the majority of the online orders sent out on Tuesday and Wednesday. The special offer of £17.50 (+P and P) will end on Monday so get your orders in now if you want to get hold of the book quickly at the cheapest price.
The new book has arrived and looks great.

Online orders will be despatched tomorrow. The shops should have their stock by Thursday at the latest.

Alan
sloper 24 Jan 2005
In reply to Alan James - UKC: are you distributing any in the midlands?
 UKC News 24 Jan 2005
In reply to sloper:
> (In reply to Alan James - UKC) are you distributing any in the midlands?

I am not distributing books anywhere, however Cordee (who are in the Midlands already) will be distributing the books all over Europe and have received their stock today. These should be in the shops by Thursday providing that the shops had bothered to pre-order in the first place.
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 25 Jan 2005

Woopeee! More 'easter eggs'!!

(I've found 5 so far....)

Neil

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...