UKC

Head Torch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 spartafan 16 Jan 2005
Hi,am looking for a head torch and was wondering what was the best one and where to buy it on the internet.I will be using it mainly for camping at the bothy and maybe a bit of walking at night,
thanks
Tom Fuller 16 Jan 2005
In reply to spartafan: I got a Petzl tikka plus which is very small and light with pretty good duration. The batteries are a bit fiddly to change though.

Cheers,

Tom.
a.enigma 16 Jan 2005
In reply to spartafan:

Petzyl Myo 3. AA (new ones available on AAA)
Halogen bulb plus 3 leds
Leds last 'forever', even when the batteries will not power the halogen. Will provide good light for map reading, cooking etc.
Halogen useful for longer distance stuff.

Got one for Christmans, it's fantastic!!
 Roch 16 Jan 2005
In reply to spartafan: You should go for one that has an LED and a normal bulb.

Ive got a Black Diamond Gemini, has a really bright xenon bulb that burns the batteries in 3.5 hours, an LED that lasts forever and a spare bulb that lasts 10 hours (or something like that) Been really happy with it, £30 from needlesports.

Tenner cheaper than the equivalent petzl model, though it does have three LEDs to the Geminis one (which Ive found to be more than bright enough for anything Ive needed to do)

Paul
 Fidget 16 Jan 2005
In reply to Tom Fuller:

I was warned that the Petzl ones aren't actually that great, as they don't have a rubber seal so can knacker if you use them in the wet...
Baz47 16 Jan 2005
In reply to spartafan:

If you only want it for camping and a bit of night walking then anything will do.

I have a couple of petzls but 12 months ago I bought a Draper 3 LED from Wickes at £2.45. Have night walked most weeks through the winter and done several routes on Millstone using it. Changed the 2 AAA's once. Not let water in but if it did I'd put silicone around it.

Are we being ripped off or what?
 Simon Caldwell 17 Jan 2005
In reply to Sarah_Clough:
I've used my Zipka Plus in the wet many times with no problems. Perhaps I've just been lucky though

The only time I've wished I had a 'normal' bulb in addition to the LED was in the Alps last year, LEDs aren't really good enough for finding your way across a crevassed glacier in the dark! So I'll be buying one of the Myo models for my next trip. For all other uses (walking, climbing, etc) I find an LED more than adequate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...