UKC

manchester climbing wall - q. for zoobie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hotbad Peteel 24 Jan 2005
If your their zoobie. Any chance you can slow down the animation on the manc climbing wall site. Its making my screen flicker and I can't see anything. Looks awesome though, I think but i'm blinking lots now and got a headache coming on.
Pete
rich 24 Jan 2005
In reply to Hotbad Peteel: zoobie?
In reply to rich:

zoobizooreta
rich 24 Jan 2005
In reply to Hotbad Peteel: :¬)

ok then . . .
In reply to rich:

just looked at teh man c wall website and managed to freeze frame the flash animation. It looks like ALL the walls are 20m high. Looks like the manchester shops better stop selling those silly little wall ropes and the north west is going to fill up with super stamina junkie sport climbers!!!
Pete
ceri 24 Jan 2005
In reply to Hotbad Peteel: looks rather like awesome really. i bet their few non-overhanging walls get queues all the time, as well.
 Tyler 24 Jan 2005
In reply to ceri:

I just hope thye don't put a load of 6a and 6b routes up the steep walls so punters go on them and start hanging on every bolt when they don't have the strength to finish the routes.
Looks every bit as good as I'd hoped, worth the wait (almost!)
 Marcus B 24 Jan 2005
Looks great. May even have to pop over from sheffield for a visit.
 zoobizooretta 24 Jan 2005
In reply to Marcus Brewer:

I've slowed it down a tad, but we're spraying it this week, so it's all going to change, as we add the colour.
The idea was to just give you a glimpse of it...

Not all of it is 20m, there's some 17m walls 15m & 12m and loads of vertical stuff in the side aisles upto 8m.
Hotbad Peteel 25 Jan 2005
In reply to zoobizooretta:

thats better zoobs. Looks scary high. Warringtons only 13m so i'm going to be filling pants up there I reckon. Now if it were outside i'd be fine
Pete
J2 25 Jan 2005
In reply to Hotbad Peteel:

u get that as well? I am not so bothered about heights outdoors, but indoors!!
In reply to J2:

defiitely. the 13m walls at warrington look really high. I've done 30m routes outside and not got a prolem with the exposure. I'd probably solo the routes at warrington if they were outside and I could walk off the top.
Pete
J2 25 Jan 2005

maybe thats it, the walk off the top, makes it feel more like your climbing onto ground level and not onto a pinnacle
In reply to J2:

thats true. I bottled croton oil because I didn't like the dea of climbing up to a pinnacle and then having to abseil down. Probably because i've not abbed off enough routes. Its not that high and i've soloed plenty there of the same height
Pete
J2 25 Jan 2005

I do know that I need to do some work on my head for climbing, am sure the body is capable or more, just need to get the head to control it better and drive it harder. Have no problems walking/Scrambling, but on rock it kicks in at times.
 Daz H 25 Jan 2005
In reply to Tyler:
> (In reply to ceri)
>
> I just hope thye don't put a load of 6a and 6b routes up the steep walls so punters go on them and start hanging on every bolt when they don't have the strength to finish the routes.
> Looks every bit as good as I'd hoped, worth the wait (almost!)

Oh so only 'good' climbers can go on the steep walls can they? If you ask me, if someones paid their money then they should have the opportunity to sample all the walls. The odd 6a or 6b won't do any harm, plus they act as good warm up routes. Don't be so elitist.

In reply to Daz H:

Think you've missed the point there. If it takes a 'punter' 30 mins to dog a 6b up a 23m wall it would be pretty antisocial for them to clog it up for everyone else who has also paid their money. If they could get up a 6b on a shorter wall in less time, then theres more to go round. I think your argument verges on the selfish in contrast to tylers elitist. FYI, i'm a punter when it comes to routes but I wouldn't clog up the high walls on principle. If I was there and they were cleasr i'd maybe have a go, but I don't see the benefit to me to dog a route jsut to say i've done it.
Pete
 Daz H 25 Jan 2005
> (In reply to Daz H)
>
> Think you've missed the point there. If it takes a 'punter' 30 mins to dog a 6b up a 23m wall <snipped>

I totally agree, so do that also count for people who stick a top rope up it and then monopolise that line for the whole night whilst they and all their mates try out every route? This happens at warrington all the time and it's intensely annoying. Maybe there should be a no top roping rule.
In reply to Daz H:

Your talking about the end wall. I know the guys who do that and it is a bit unreasonable. Always on the end wall on the left too. Ask the guys to move the rope next time. Their all sound and wouldn't want to get in the way, they just like doing laps of the walls for training. Either that or have a word with Dave the owner or one of the others and point it out. It does get silly busy in there though
Pete
 Daz H 25 Jan 2005
> (In reply to Daz H)
>
> Your talking about the end wall. I know the guys who do that and it is a bit unreasonable. Always on the end wall on the left too. Ask the guys to move the rope next time. Their all sound and wouldn't want to get in the way, they just like doing laps of the walls for training. Either that or have a word with Dave the owner or one of the others and point it out. It does get silly busy in there though

To be honest it doesn't bother me that much, I just get annoyed when people are obviously being inconsiderate. In a perfect world you wouldn't have to ask them to move or go running to the owner, but in this day and age maybe that's asking for too much. Hopefully when the new wall opens warrington won't be as busy and these problems won't occur.

I do think a no (or limited) top-roping rule would be a good idea though.

In reply to Daz H:

No top roping when its busy would be a cracking rule. Theirs a bunch of people who spoend their lives climbing the wall at the far end repeatedly and hogging it. Theirs a kind of little clique that thinks it owns the wall, which is partly understandable because they set a few of the routes there but still inconsiderate. I wouldn't say warringtons the friendliest most welcoming wall i've ever been to. I thought sunderland was similar when I visited, but its run and staffed by people who are quite egotistical and thats a very bad thing for the people who are paying to use the wall. Theres alot of routes put up to stop people and give them a hard time, rather than to be a good route for people to go up. And an unfoirtunately high usage of crap holds to make routes hard, rather than making people use technique to increase the difficulty.
Only my 2p worth though
Pete
 Daz H 25 Jan 2005

Yup, there is a clique, but you get that at all walls. And they seem friendly enough at warrington. Also, the routes at warrington tend to be very good. They have a knack of making the routes challenging without resorting to just making the holds smaller and putting them further apart. I used to go to Marple and typically the routes there invovled putting a big stopper move at the top and then grading them for that move. Sounds like Sunderland is quite similar, but what can you expect from a bunch of mackems?
 zoobizooretta 25 Jan 2005

There's some chain hangers at about 12m so you can lower down instead of going to the top...which is high! I was up there today in a cherry picker and brickin' 'em... it makes warrington seem ever so small as you're lookin down on the 12m wall and that seems tame...
 anonymous1 26 Jan 2005

those guys top rope those 7a's cause that's all they can get up.

They look at you as if you are a streak of piss. Seen them at pex and they are not that good outside.Like most wall climbers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...