UKC

The good Shopping Guide,'corporate crunch up'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 24 Jan 2005
My parents reacently bought The Good Shopping Guide and it's quite good i think,it's got sections on energy,and food and drink,and household cleaning products,and outdoor gear,and tell's you how ethical and polluting the companies are. And it's got an interesting bit on biscuits.

''A lowly Somerfields 'basics' digestive was made my McVities-which is owned by United Biscuits,which is owned by Finalrealm,which is a consortium of Nabisco,DB Capital,Cinven and PAI.Of those in the consrtium,Nabisco is owned by Kraft,which is owned by Philip Morris,the company that make's Marlboro cigarettes but has changed it's name to Altria.Cinvern is a leverage buy-out operation which owns companies as diverse as Odeon Cinemas,Foresco chemicals and William hill Bookmakers.DB Capital Partners is owned by Deutsche Bank,which has been involved in financing controversial dams amongst other things.''

It's also got a section on which chocolate is the best to buy and about envronmentally household cleaning products,and tell's how Tescos cooking oil isn't a good thing to buy for example. There's a table in each section so you can clearly see whether companies have been found out to have been supporting opressive regimes or funding arms trading,or having a poor record with environmental reporting. It's good book i think,so buy it.
()

Cheers
Tim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...