UKC

Cleaning climbing holds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jak 31 Jan 2005
Sometime ago ibuit a climbing wall in my cellar. The holds have become pretty chalked up and greasy and dirty. Any tips on the best way to give a thorough cleaning. Many thanks
 Wingnut 31 Jan 2005
In reply to Jak:
Dishwasher?
 Graham T 31 Jan 2005
In reply to Jak:
A scrubbing brush and a bowl of warm water works as well as anything, make sure you use a stiff bristled brush though
 daveforey 31 Jan 2005
In reply to Jak:

you cant beat a dishwasher

(because you'll get arrested if she screams too loudly :oP )
 Ben Stokes at Work Global Crag Moderator 31 Jan 2005
In reply to Jak:

Dishwasher or boiling water and soap - rinse thoroughly
Jak 31 Jan 2005
In reply to Jak:

yeah! i was thinking of the brush and soap method but i have so many holds! diswasher sounds good but now have to persuade the owners!!!

any advice on the best sort of soap?
Hotbad Peteel 31 Jan 2005
In reply to Jak:

dishwash them or put them in a shopping trolly and attack them with a jet washer.
Pete
 lx 31 Jan 2005
In reply to Jak: use vinegar, reacts with the chalk, (basic acid-alkaline reaction, think back to putting magnesium strips in acid in physics at school). Most effective way off removing the chalk
 zoobizooretta 31 Jan 2005
In reply to lx:

Physics? or chemi?

Dishwasher is the best way...
mac_climb 31 Jan 2005
In reply to Jak: use good old chorline
LurkingPaul 31 Jan 2005
In reply to Jak:

North west face at warrington always used to chuck their holds in the dishwasher......sorted
 Marcus B 31 Jan 2005
In reply to mac climb:
Or a tooth brush...
mac_climb 31 Jan 2005
In reply to Jak: i bet it is hard to clean that many holds with a toothbrush
In reply to Jak: We use a pressure washer at the Foundry. You can hire them at most tool hire places but I guess it is only worth it if you have a LOT of holds.

A mildly acidic solution will probably work a bit better at removing chalk (Chemistry by the way, not Physics) but we never have much trouble getting chalk off. It's the boot rubber that's a pain.

Iain@CragX (Using Jenny's PC cos I'm at the wrong desk)
Jak 01 Feb 2005
In reply to Jak:
Thanks for all your helpful comments. Got the go ahead for the use of the dishwasher. Mainly I want to get the chalk and greae off for hygiene reasons.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...