UKC

sunglasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
petralva 03 Feb 2005
hi
advice wanted for sunglasses in the mountains,would any particular type or make be better ie frames and lenses or your own preferences.

thnaks.
stealth3kpl 09 Feb 2005
In reply to petralva:
If UV is going to be high then go for class 4 (High altitude and or snow). These are quite dark though and perhaps too dark for driving around. Class 3 offers less protection but is prob ok for most situations appart from those stated above.
Go for wrap around /close fitting frames. If light can get to your eyes around the frame you might find you can't see a thing through them, and you might find yourself with a dose of uv conjunctivitis.
 IMA 09 Feb 2005
In reply to petralva: oakley's always at the top of my list if u dont mind paying for the excellent care they provide you with and good product
 Y Gribin 09 Feb 2005
In reply to petralva:
Agreed - definitely Oakley. I know they seem like they just for posers but I really think they're worth the money. This winter in the Alps I bought a pair of Bloc's for £30 on the basis that I wouldn't mind losing them. After ten minutes on the glacier I realised why Oakleys are worth the extra!
 jam 09 Feb 2005
In reply to petralva:

I use Oakleys as I'm an unashamed gear snob. Friends use Oakleys, Julbos and cheapo sunglasses found in petrol stations. We are all happy.
brothersoulshine 09 Feb 2005
In reply to petralva:

My Oakleys are the only glasses that have ever lasted more than a year. That's because (a) they're really, really nice and (b) they cost so much I'm extremely anal about looking after them.
 Outdoor Eddie 10 Feb 2005
In reply to petralva:

The most important thing is you need shades that make you look cool of course!

Seriously though I wouldn't by Oakleys - far too expensive, Bolles etc are fine. If you go to an optician who sells sunnies they'll tell you about all the different lens properties info which not all outdoor shops are so clued up on. You can get polarisers too , but I find they make refelctions look weird and in 3D.

OE
therealwill 10 Feb 2005
In reply to petralva:

Julbo Nomad Altichromic go from cat 3-4 in strong light, so it is (i believe) legal to drive in them but you get full protection. They have a brilliant case, are extremely comfortable and look good- just the hinges seem a little weak and loose.
Jon Hemlock 10 Feb 2005
In reply to petralva:

You'll get a good pair of Category 3/4 at any ski resort in Europe. I picked up a pair of category 3 sunglasses that have excellent coverage and withstand bright sun on the high Alps for only 25 Euros.

Go for fashion brands if you like but they all do the same job.
man_in_the_alps 10 Feb 2005
In reply toWhat about for high altitude ? 6500m what would you recomend ? I have see some goggle style glasses but don't know who makes them or where to get them from ? Outdoor Eddie:
 Outdoor Eddie 10 Feb 2005
In reply to man_in_the_alps:

Never used these - but people do

http://www.murrays.com/barz/frame_colors.html

and you may want to read this

http://www.basecampmd.com/expguide/snowblind.shtml

and after all that you can use them for swimming too!

OE
Jon Hemlock 10 Feb 2005
In reply to Outdoor Eddie:

Posting this as a useful resource for the myopic alpinist:

http://www.vision3k.com

They have specially made prescription sunglasses in category 3 and 4 for mountaineering, skiing etc. although it's expensive, views are good.
man_in_the_alps 11 Feb 2005
In reply to Outdoor Eddie:
Cheers guys,I just wondered what everyone else uses,ski goggles perhaps ?
petralva 11 Feb 2005
thanks for the advice,looks like i will trug around a few shops to see what fits.
petralva 11 Feb 2005
thanks for the advice,looks like i will trug around a few shops to see what fits.
petralva 11 Feb 2005
 Outdoor Eddie 11 Feb 2005
In reply to petralva:

OK OK enough thanks already!!

OE

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...