UKC

New Argos KIMM-type tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
David Crooks 04 Feb 2005
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=100...

15 quid - 1.5 kilos - looks like a Jetpacker - ideal for the cost-conscious mountain marathoner - anyone bought one yet?
 Wibble Wibble 04 Feb 2005
In reply to David Crooks:

I imagine it had the waterproof properties of a tea bag (only becasue I spent £200 on mine and I'm bitter though)

Picture looks identical to the Gelert Minilite:

http://www.gelert.com/products/product_details.asp?ProductID=1001

(if the link doesn't take you to the page, it's because Gelert's website is written by f*ckwits who use frames, and even <right-click copy shortcut> doesn't work.)

Alternatively, Navigate there by LH menu bar/Tents/Backpacker
 Ali 04 Feb 2005
In reply to David Crooks: How one person is it though...could you squash 2 in?
David Crooks 04 Feb 2005
In reply to captain paranoia:

You're right, it looks like the same tent. Single skin, 1000mm hydrostatic head. Gelert give the weight as 1.7 kg, but Argos give 1.5 kg. £15 is a fiver or a tenner less than RRP, depending where you look.
David Crooks 04 Feb 2005
In reply to Ali:

It's only a bit smaller than a Jetpacker (7 cm narrower at the front, 9cm wider at the back, 4 cm shorter, 1 cm lower), so I think it'd take two at a push. Single-skin, so the usual condensation problems, but what do you want for £15?
matt cartney 05 Feb 2005
survival bag and two sticks? 2 quid.
 HC~F 05 Feb 2005
In reply to David Crooks: I'd be nervous about single skin, but the weight is a very tempting factor...

Can I justify buying another tent?!
 Ali 05 Feb 2005
In reply to helen taylor: Another one? Don't you already have about 3 suitable for running the KIMM with?!
 sutty 05 Feb 2005
In reply to helen taylor:

Nervous about single skin, how many have you got on your body?

Single skins are ok so long as you keep clear of the sides, and with some fabrics even then they may be ok. Proof them with the same stuff they use for jackets and they should be ok.
 HC~F 06 Feb 2005
In reply to Ali: I have two suitable for running the KIMM with, but they are both 2Kg. 500g would be a welcome weight reduction :oP.
 Ali 06 Feb 2005
In reply to helen taylor: Lol! Well we probably only add up to the size of one normal person anyway....
 Rob Naylor 06 Feb 2005
In reply to Wibble Wibble:
> (In reply to David Crooks)
>
> I imagine it had the waterproof properties of a tea bag (only becasue I spent £200 on mine and I'm bitter though)

The one person double skin Argos were selling last year for £29.99 (later came down to £14.99 then £9.99 in some sales) was great value for money. I know several people who bought 2 or 3. The denizens of uk.rec.walking had a proper fan club going for them...dozens bought them and posted "reviews". Only one or two people were disappointed with them...usually due to bad finishing. Generally they were as waterproof as you'd wish.

Ali 06 Feb 2005
In reply to Rob Naylor: Wow, I'm almost tempted to get one...
In reply to Ali:
> (In reply to Rob Naylor) Wow, I'm almost tempted to get one...

I bought two of the double skins for £14.99 last year and I have been delighted with them, even though one has a sticky zip. I can fit two people into one of them by putting the rucksacks outside in a survival bag and it helps that I am short. We even survived a very wet weekend in Skye like that when the campsite was sodden.

However, on the face of it the new ones don't look so good and I've not yet seen any reviews.

craig h 06 Feb 2005

At this price we now have disposable tents - about 6.5 pints, or a good curry and less than most B&Bs even including campsite fees.
I'm of to Argos as I only get 26.50 a night when I work away

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...