UKC

Corporate Lies!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
climbing haggis 22 Feb 2005
My partner has just been told by the company that she works for (and the company I'm leaving as of tomorrow) that there are no pay rises due for anyone for the next 2 years. They're needing to 'cut costs'.

Of course, by cutting costs they send a couple of the company big wigs the break the news to everyone. As a cost cutting exercise they have led the way by travelling business class and staying at one of the most expensive hotels in Inverness. Nice.

They were asked why 1st line staff were on £2 less per hour than their colleagues in Aston. Their reply was that the cost of living in Aston /Birmingham is higher.

Utter shite. We checked, and the cost of living in Birmingham is in fact LESS than that of Inverness. If you work here and don't even get the cost of living increase every October you're looking at being below the poverty line according to Government statistics.

I'm very, very glad I'm leaving.
rich 22 Feb 2005
In reply to climbing haggis: indeed - possibly announcing no pay rises for 2 years would indeed cut costs by increasing the number of people that choose to leave thus reducing the workforce without incurring expensive redundancy payments - just a guess
 Richard 22 Feb 2005
In reply to rich:
> (In reply to climbing haggis) indeed - possibly announcing no pay rises for 2 years would indeed cut costs by increasing the number of people that choose to leave thus reducing the workforce without incurring expensive redundancy payments - just a guess

But if you annoy the workforce too much before they leave, you lose a fortune in office supplies as they go. Swings and roundabouts, I suppose.
In reply to rich:

aye, well they're moving alot of the desk support to Poland. Doesn't stop them spending £100,000 sponsoring a boat (not B&Q) though.
rich 22 Feb 2005
In reply to climbing haggis: the world often appears baffling and irrational does it not?
tb 22 Feb 2005
In reply to climbing haggis:

Name and shame please. Also have you considered speaking to your citizens advice bureau about constructive dismissal claims?
 DougG 22 Feb 2005

> staying at one of the most expensive hotels in Inverness

Surely you don't begrudge them £50 a night?

Seriously though, nae luck

In reply to tb:

Interesting point about contstructive dismissal. Don't think it would stick though as they could argue that you are aware of the rate of pay when you start.

Is this the only company that doesn't give you a pay rise when you get a promotion? They promote people and then tell them that they won't get the rise till they've been in the position for at least a year.
KevinD 22 Feb 2005

> Is this the only company that doesn't give you a pay rise when you get a promotion? They promote people and then tell them that they won't get the rise till they've been in the position for at least a year.

from my vague remembrance of employee law you could get away with that as long as the contract change doesnt say the rise comes with it. Seems an interesting approach to employee management though what is the staff turnover.
Carnaby 22 Feb 2005
In reply to dissonance:
Staff turnover is very high and we cannot fill vacancies. If the vacancy is left open for too long it gets transferred to Birmingham so they can fill it, at the higher pay rate! My theory now is that they are consciously placing us below the poverty line to that lots of people leave and they don't have to pay redundancy pay when they move the jobs offshore.
 finkployd 22 Feb 2005

Have you ever been to aston... definatly would need the 'danger money' incentive!

That completly sucks though... I am well aware that some companies couldn't give a stuff about you (I would argue most companies). Start with this in mind and you won't go to far wrong.
In reply to finkployd:

Bye, bye Capgemini PLC. I quit. I'm done here as of now.

Slainte mhath a h-uile duine.

Don't know when I'm back on the internet, take care till then.
rich 22 Feb 2005
In reply to climbing haggis: happy travels :¬)
 finkployd 22 Feb 2005

knew it was gapgemini... the office in aston is in a nasty location... happy travels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...