UKC

Multi pitch rucksac size?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
charlie598 23 Feb 2005
What is the standard size of a multi pitch rucksac for routes where you have to climb with it. I currently have a 45 Ltr which is too big I think. Looking at 30-35 Ltr sac, any advice??
aspiring 2 aconcagua 23 Feb 2005
In reply to charlie598: 65 litre, but i mostly do BIG mountains requiring mult-day ascents!
 Neil Conway 23 Feb 2005
In reply to charlie598:

I usually leave mine at the base of the crag.
tchnorton 23 Feb 2005
In reply to charlie598: Smallest thing I can get shoes, waterproof and water bottle into.

The Manu's on my wishlist: http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Grivel.html
 GrahamD 23 Feb 2005
In reply to charlie598:

15l at most for multipitch single day rock routes. Anything under 6 or 7 pitches, go without.
 davek 24 Feb 2005
In reply to 220bpm:

A great Rant, and a bloody good point
Shaun 24 Feb 2005
In reply to aspiring 2 aconcagua:
> (In reply to charlie598) 65 litre, but i mostly do BIG mountains requiring mult-day ascents!

oooooWOOOO!!
BenP 24 Feb 2005
In reply to tchnorton:

Get the Manu. It's an excellent little sack and will more than easily fit your hydration sack, approach shoes, a micro fleece and car keys, phone, snickers bars etc.

Will also attach to the larger grivel sacks. Though I don't actually have one of those. I don't use the yoke to rack gear though, there's no need!

Well recommended!
 Bob 24 Feb 2005
In reply to charlie598:

Alpine style routes with possible bivvy - use a 30-35Ltr sack - I have a Murray Hamilton Cuillin 2 but don't think they are made any more.

Day routes: 15 litre max, should sit up between your shoulders rather than down at your waist. I have a Lowe Guide that fits the bill.

Shorter day routes: a bum bag and clip your trainers to your harness.

Bob
 Dave Stelmach 24 Feb 2005
In reply to charlie598: Take all the gear you want to take to a shop in a bin liner. Insert the loaded bin liner into various rucksacks, buy the one you want, or note its make, fit & size & shop around.
 JonL 24 Feb 2005
In reply to Dave Stelmach:

At last! Someone with a sensible answer to these persistent requests by people who don't know what size sack to buy. You would think that anyone who is on this site has enough experience to determine what gear they are going to need and therefore the size of sack. Maybe he should be asking what he needs to take in the way of gear? + this topic has been discussed to death.
 GrahamD 24 Feb 2005
In reply to Dave Stelmach:
> (In reply to charlie598) Take all the gear you want to take to a shop in a bin liner.

Want or need ? if you take your approach, you could end up climbing with an expedition sac on Idwal!
 Bob 24 Feb 2005
In reply to JonL:

Apart from the fact that the bin-liner will not be packed correctly so you will end up with a bigger sack than you need.

Bob
 JonL 24 Feb 2005
In reply to Bob: I think the approach is the important point he made. Decide what you need (ie want to) take and then determine the size sack.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...