UKC

Climb magazine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Got issue two the other day, not seen issue one.

Was quite impressed.

Mainly impressed by the mountain routes section at the back and the general lack of emphasis on bouldering as seems the trend in climbing mags these days.

Gear section wasn't too extensive but enough.

Still haven't finished it all but so far so good.

Not sure about the "cool" typeface on the cover, perhaps to trendy and not timeless enough, but thats me being fussy.
SimonW 14 Mar 2005
In reply to Eskdale massive:

Better than OTE or High. I only have one gripe, by all means put it in a plastic cover but let us know a little more of what articles are in the mag if they are going to do this.
Anonymous 14 Mar 2005

Who features as the page 3 'stunna'
In reply to Anonymous:

didn't notice no stunna's in there . . .

Web site is still a bit disappointing - http://www.climbmagazine.com/
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

its true, why can't people get their web content ready at the same time as the print?

slow to load too . . .
Ady Short 14 Mar 2005
In reply to Eskdale massive: Airlie is in there! Stunning climber.
 Tiggs 14 Mar 2005
In reply to Eskdale massive: I've just bought it but haven't looked at it, yet.
 Jack Frost 14 Mar 2005
In reply to Tiggs:
> (In reply to Eskdale massive) I've just bought it but haven't looked at it, yet.

Thanks for letting us know
 Tiggs 14 Mar 2005
In reply to Jack Frost: Ah well, I like to keep you all posted
Yorkspud 14 Mar 2005
In reply to Tiggs:
> (In reply to Eskdale massive) I've just bought it but haven't looked at it, yet.

Just to let you know I haven't bought it or read it
In reply to Yorkspud:

now then children . . .
 sutty 14 Mar 2005

Got issue 2 and browsed through it. Looks like there may be some decent articles in it but unfortunately the size and font of type is hard for me to read. Some good pictures, unfortunately the cover is crap. The main picture is repeated inside and should have been full page with the CLIMB title reduced in size to make the most of the picture.

No idea what the first copy was like as the editor, distributor and printers did not bother liasing to ensure orders were carried over from mountain.

Old mag £2.99, new one £3.50. My order at the newsagent is cancelled.
 stp 15 Mar 2005

Had a good look through a friends copy and it raised the question for both of us: why are english climbing mags so crap?

Issue 2 has an article on Eldorado Canyon - a particularly photogenic crag - yet the pics are rubbish inc. a bum shot on the front cover repeated full page inside!!

Magazines like Rock & Ice have a list of regular contributers who they chase for good pics before an article goes out. But in Britain we just don't seem to bother.

The best pics are often those in the adverts - in Climb 2 one of the best shots is of Dave Graham in a clothing ad.
 Si dH 16 Mar 2005
I think Climb is great, the presentation is much better than other mags, I used to buy Climber and now ive gone over to Climb, which must say something.
I particularly enjoyed the article about left edge, more articles like that about routes (they dont have to be 3* classics either) would be very welcome.
Si
Northern Wonder 16 Mar 2005

(only seen issue 1 so far)

Sorry Guys just can't agree with u all on this 1. The "New" mag is a big let down. so much build up and hype and nothing to back it up!!!!!!!!!!!

Bouldering whats that? oh it's an activity that people who can't stretch to big peaks do to keep fit!

I feel let down and left out.

The most valuble articles at the back of OTE about local updates have disappeared big shame and a big let down.

Come on OTE faithful push to the front and get yer stuff published more prominently.

Did I miss the demise of bouldering when I went to work this week.

I'm afraid to say I will not be buying the third copy

Anonymous 16 Mar 2005

> its true, why can't people get their web content ready at the same time as the print?

Well it's spondulicks, isn't it? They make their money by selling printed copies.
 Scranner 16 Mar 2005
In reply to sutty:

> Old mag £2.99, new one £3.50. My order at the newsagent is cancelled.

Probably pro-rata on mag size increase - annoyingly just bigger than A4 so won't fit into archive boxes and no known standard size (it seems).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...