UKC

Bonington in scare on way to open Manchester Climbing Centre

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 16 Mar 2005
Chris Bonington fainted at the wheel of his car while on his way to open the Manchester Climbing Centre. He was unhurt in the incident but was unable to open the wall. The wall was eventually officially opened by the Lord Mayor of Manchester although the plaque was moved from the top, where it had been placed so that Chris could climb up to it, to a position more reachable for the Lord Mayor.

Reported by planetFear - http://www.planetfear.com/news_detail.asp?n_id=5264

UKC News - http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 kevin stephens 16 Mar 2005
In reply to UKC News:

Looks like Bill Oddie to me.

All the best Chris, hope it works out OK
colski 16 Mar 2005
In reply to UKC News:

You'd think a climbing website might know how to spell Bonington.
 Norrie Muir 16 Mar 2005
In reply to UKC News:

At least they could have put a plaster over CB's name on the plaque.

Norrie
Faff 16 Mar 2005
In reply to colski:

Is Planet Fear a climbing website then? First I heard of it.

FatherFaff

PS: Fainting is usually caused by a lack of oxygen to the brain. Maybe the altitude has got to him at last...
Chris Bonington 17 Mar 2005
I didn't faint - if i had done I'd probably be dead or in hospital, but I did feel really rough. I hate letting people down and anyway was really looking forward to having a play on the wall, but I was feeling rough when I started driving down towards Manchester - in fact did feel faint, and so turned back and spent the rest of the evening in bed.

Really sorry I couldn't make it!!!!!!

> Chris Bonington fainted at the wheel of his car while on his way to open the Manchester Climbing Centre. He was unhurt in the incident but was unable to open the wall. The wall was eventually officially opened by the Lord Mayor of Manchester although the plaque was moved from the top, where it had been placed so that Chris could climb up to it, to a position more reachable for the Lord Mayor.
>
> Reported by planetFear - http://www.planetfear.com/news_detail.asp?n_id=5264
>
> UKC News - http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Ridge 17 Mar 2005
In reply to Chris Bonington:
All the best.
matthewspinks 17 Mar 2005
All the best Chris, Hope you can stil make the outdoor show this weekend.
tim wright 17 Mar 2005
i used to get the very same feeling every time i had to drive back to manchester when i was living there!!!! it's understandable!
hope you're feeling better,
tim.
 Greenbanks 17 Mar 2005
In reply to tim wright:

Opposite for me - don't live in M/c anymore, but just love driving towards it (home etc.......)
James Jackson 17 Mar 2005

Phew, that's good to hear. Get well soon (I prescribe a fine malt whisky).
 George Fisher 17 Mar 2005
In reply to UKC News:

Did he faint or nearly faint? The post and the link doon't seem to agree. I'd imaging one is a lot worse than the other whilst driving.
 Dominion 17 Mar 2005
In reply to Gfunk:

> Did he faint or nearly faint? The post and the link doon't seem to agree.

I'd go by what Chris says rather than what was reported!

||-)
In reply to Gfunk:
> Did he faint or nearly faint? The post and the link doon't seem to agree. I'd imaging one is a lot worse than the other whilst driving.

I posted both last night based on the PF news report. Then Chris replied this morning clarifying the situation so I updated the news report (which I can do) but not the starter post (which I can't).

Alan
O Mighty Tim 17 Mar 2005
In reply to Alan James - UKC: I agree with previous comments. I'd faint if I had to go to Manchester.

Get well soon Sir C, I hope to reach your level of climbing by the time I get as old as you! Fat chance on current progress...

Tim, TG
 Scranner 17 Mar 2005
> and so turned back and spent the rest of the evening in bed.

Blimey but your powers of recuperation must be good - posting at 7:25 - clearly you can't get out of the habit of alpine starts! Glad you're better, though.
 DougG 17 Mar 2005
In reply to Scranner:

7.25 is hardly an alpine start, unless you're a student of course.
Eadezee 17 Mar 2005
In reply to UKC News:
Keep up the good work Chris.
You've never really struck me as a Climbing wall" type of guy anyway.
Ever thought of making a documentary film about the Ogre climb? It would be a real treat and I'm sure that any TV company would lap it up. Pop around to see Doug and ask him how he would feel about it.
Best wishes.
 Scranner 17 Mar 2005
In reply to DougG:
> (In reply to Scranner)
>
> 7.25 is hardly an alpine start, unless you're a student of course.

'tis to me! You're nearly right though, a lecturer...

Jamie B 17 Mar 2005
> Chris Bonington fainted at the wheel of his car..

Presumably somebody had just told him about the bolts on a Scottish winter route...
Father Faff 19 Mar 2005
In reply to James Jackson:
> (In reply to Chris Bonington)
>
> Phew, that's good to hear. Get well soon (I prescribe a fine malt whisky).

Maybe it WAS the malt whisky that made poor Chris faint. I remember once fainting in a biology tutorial at York Uni after a bit too much whisky the night before...

Paul Atkinson 20 Mar 2005
In reply to UKC News: Drove in to work in N Manc last thurs am wondering if I was going to be putting a pacemaker in the great CB after reading the initial report - relieved not to find him on CCU Intermittent loss of consciousness is not the best condition for a climber to develop. Doesn't help your driving much either.
bignose 21 Mar 2005
In reply to Chris Bonington: Chris, you obviously need another AC curryhouse visit to blow through the cobwebs. I usually find a nice hot dish sorts out an ill wind
Take care, rest up,
Alan
(Royal Robbins lecture)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...