UKC

Chamonix/Conville on your own?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 2pints 17 Mar 2005
Anyone ever done Conville on their own?

I've not found anyone to do it with me or come to Chamonix and climb with me but really wanna get ot the Alps and just do it.Its just now Im having a few second thoughts bout going out all on my own!

So how many people go out on their own then?How easy do people reckon it would be to find partners to do nice easy beginner routes if all you've done in the Alps is Conville course?

anonymous 17 Mar 2005
In reply to 2pints:

Im heading out to chamonix for the last week of may (early i know) and the whole of june. Its my first time in the alps also, lead gr 3 winter, vs/hvs summer so am not a fool in the hills. if your around then would be interested in doing a climb, after some decent glacier practice. If your interested get in touch.

Also, can anyone recommend some decent easyish routes that will be in condition in late may/early june, as i have not had chance to look through the guidebooks yet

Cheers
 Dan_S 17 Mar 2005
In reply to 2pints:
I did the conville course about 3 years ago, on my own.
Got a bus from manchester to chamonix (29 hrs of hell)
Course was great, got to know people at the campsite that the course uses, and did a couple of routes with people from the course afterwards too.
It was a great experience, and I cant recommed it enough
johndevlin 18 Mar 2005
In reply to 2pints: Hi I'm just about to post a message to get someone to go to Sham with having had a couple of guys rave about how fantastic it is and not as scary a prospect for the Alpine novice as I'd imagined ( but respect still prevails in the mind )... I want to go ASAP or next week over the easter long weekend. Email me if yo wanna chat more to see if we can be of help to each other ? Regards

John D.
Allan Murdoch 18 Mar 2005
In reply to 2pints:

I did the Convill course 4 or 5 years ago. I'd never been to the Alps before, at the time was climbing similar grades to you and was on my owm.

Can't recommend it enough, I did the course at the start of my time there and then climbed for another 4 weeks with people I met on the course.

If i was you i'd stay on the campsite in Againtier (Spelling?) thats where the course operates out of and its where most of the brit climbers stay. there's a notice board where you can advertise for partners if you need to.
Mark (Yanosh) Muir 18 Mar 2005
In reply to 2pints: meeting people (ie REAL people (climbers)) in Chamonix is a pice of p"ss as for going on your own, Thats no problem n wouldn't worry yer wee head
 sutty 18 Mar 2005
In reply to 2pints:

Most people go on their own, meet others on the course and often team up after for a route or two.

The course guides will also point you at routes suitable for your abilities after if you ask.
OP 2pints 18 Mar 2005
In reply to 2pints:

Phew thats put my mind at rest!

Just need to hope I get onto Conville now...

Also, anyone any idea what the mountain biking is like in Chamonix and that area and is there anywhere I can hire bikes, don't fancy taking mine down!
OP 2pints 18 Mar 2005
In reply to 2pints:

ooh just thought I'd announce that I put 26-28th June as my first choice and the next 2 dates as 2nd and 3rd choice, anyone else about then?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...