UKC

Joe Brown footage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anonymous 18 Mar 2005
In 'The Hard Years' Brown refers to a televised ascent of a route on Cloggy. Do copies still exist? Does anybody know if its available in downloadable format online (or anything else featuring Brown for that matter)?

Yorkspud 18 Mar 2005
In reply to Anonymous:
I have exclusive footage of hime inserting chocktones in 3PS...its true.
OP Anonymous 18 Mar 2005
In reply to Yorkspud: is that in electronic format?
In reply to Yorkspud: How the hell do you insert a chockstone into 3PS?
In reply to Just Another Dave: Pnuematic(?) Drill!?
 Simon 18 Mar 2005
In reply to Yorkspud:
> (In reply to Anonymous)
> I have exclusive footage of hime inserting chocktones in 3PS...its true.

wow really! i am so like going to have to go & remove it. after all thats soooo like aid.

Watch the Magazines!

;0)

Si
 sutty 18 Mar 2005
In reply to Anonymous:

The BBC seem to have lost most of the tapes from the OB on Cloggy, pity as being there at the time we never got to see the thing on TV later.

Can't remember what they were on, I think one team were on Llithrig and Browns team were on something like Daurigol, it was in that area anyway.

BBC did not want other climbers on the ckiff so we went onto the West and climbed there, doing the girdle.
Yrmenlaf 18 Mar 2005
In reply to sutty:

Was there not a broadcast of him in Glencoe? It would be about twenty years ago.

I remember that they had one pair of climbers removing the aid from something fairly hard, whilst Joe and his (female) partner (JB must have been about fifty) were doing a HVS-ish climb. When JB got to the crux, they had a news break, so that he could use aid without the eyes of the world on him

Y.
 Norrie Muir 18 Mar 2005
In reply to Yrmenlaf:
> (In reply to sutty)
> Was there not a broadcast of him in Glencoe? It would be about twenty years ago.
When JB got to the crux, they had a news break, so that he could use aid without the eyes of the world on him
>
Dear yrmenlaf

We were up Glencoe that weekend and we took a TV with us. But we could not get reception for the TV, so we never saw anything untowards happening.

Norrie
Removed User 18 Mar 2005
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

Joe Brown was doing Freak Out which is E3 or E4 but he aided the crux. Even so, not bad for an old git I believe it's very pumpy.

One of the other two climbers was Cubby who did the first free ascent of something whose name I forget. I recall it was E5 though.
 sutty 19 Mar 2005
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

I seem to remember that he did OB from cloggy, red wall on anglesey, old man of hoy, one on vector, one on Aonach dubh and a film on rohriama,sp.

look on his website for details.
dexter 19 Mar 2005
In reply to sutty: Also don't forget the 'extreme trout fishing' series he did for the BBC.....
 Marc C 21 Mar 2005
In reply to Removed User: I remember watching the Glencoe broadcast. They were climbing in the rain! Joe and a woman climber were on Freak Out. Cubby and Murray Hamilton (?) were on Space Walk. At one point Joe grabs some pro and says "I'll just use this for a rest...or aid!". He gets to the top and starts berating a BBC cameraman for having too many belays and getting in his way. Murray struggles to do the crux of SW - blaming his lack of reach.
 Marc C 21 Mar 2005
In reply to Anonymous: Oh, and at last year's Llanberis Film Festival they showed Joe climbing a sea stack in Scotland - as preparation for the broadcast from the Old Man of Hoy. At one point, Joe is climbing and having a smoke at the same time!
Tobs at work 21 Mar 2005
In reply to Marc C:
" At one point, Joe is climbing and having a smoke at the same time!"

Bloody SteveM invariably does that whilst seconding me...

Richard 21 Mar 2005
In reply to Marc C:
> (In reply to Anonymous) Oh, and at last year's Llanberis Film Festival they showed Joe climbing a sea stack in Scotland - as preparation for the broadcast from the Old Man of Hoy. At one point, Joe is climbing and having a smoke at the same time!

There's a photo of Tom Patey doing that on the Old Man of Hoy, I think.
OP Anonymous 21 Mar 2005
In reply to Richard:

Several of Joe doing that on Tensor in the pink Tremadog guide, while belayed round her waist by a young lady who I believe was barely a climber and was chosen for her looks. Cool dude.

How does that work anyway? I've never smoked but don't you end up burning your mouth?

jcm
In reply to Anonymous:

... what about that classic shot of Joe on The Dangler, hanging from one arm in a nearly horizontal position? It's a bit fuzzy, but I'm sure he's got a fag in his mouth.
 sutty 21 Mar 2005
In reply to Anonymous:

julie who was with Joe on Vector climbed about VS at the time when leading.
OP Anonymous 21 Mar 2005
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Yes, he has. He talks about it in The Hard Years. Doesn't make it clear whether it was lit, but I dare say it was.

Sutty: really? If you say so - not what I've heard.

jcm
Yrmenlaf 21 Mar 2005
In reply to Marc C:
> (In reply to Eric9Points) I remember watching the Glencoe broadcast... Joe and a woman climber were on Freak Out.

DO we know who the lady climber is / was (not that it matters). I have it in mind that it was Mrs Martin Boysen, but I might be wholly wrong (and I am sure she has her own name)

Y.
 sutty 21 Mar 2005
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

Martins wife was called Maggie,I do not think it was her in Glencoe though but cannot bring to mind who it was ATM. I think she was a guide, not Breda though.
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

No, definitely wasn't her. She was a girl of university student age, not very experienced at all, as far as I can remember, and the climb was embarrassingly far beyond her abilities to second. Name absolutely on the tip of my tongue at the moment.
 Marc C 22 Mar 2005
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Just discovered from a column Cubby writes on Scotland Online that the woman climbing with Joe on the Freak Out broadcast was Jackie Anthoine. The story below is amusing:

"When I started to achieve some of my goals in climbing, I occasionally worked on TV and film, predominately under the father figure of Scottish climbing - Hamish McInnes and his team of climbers (mainly Glencoe Mountain Rescue) who were appropriately known as Hamish's Mafia. Providing safety for film crews was our primary role but in addition we would often get involved in doubling, stunts and some even operated a camera. I became one of Hamish's Mafia, along with Murray Hamilton. Both of us as young up and coming climbers, were asked to participate alongside Joe Brown and Jackie Antoine in a live BBC outdoor broadcast titled Spacewalk and Freakout, named of course after the two Aonach Dubh classics in Glencoe.

It was great fun and very exciting being a star and getting helicoptered to and from the crag. From a climbers perspective the film will always be remembered for when Joe rather untimely criticised Murray for using chalk. Murray had just completed the crux of Spacewalk and was in a perfect position to retort. I don't think Joe expected either of the quiet young lads to reply but Murray with his public school upbringing and dry sense of humour, said something along the lines - "that's rich coming from you Joe...etc etc..." who was about to move from one etrier step and into another on the crux of Freakout. You have to remember that this was peak viewing time, early on a Saturday evening!"

Marc C 22 Mar 2005
In reply to Marc C: Apparently the woman who climbed Tensor with Joe Brown was called Julie:

I found this sentence on an interesting site detailing memories of the 1960s welsh climbing scene - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mad-dogs/memories.html

"Julie (?) and Jansis Baldock were two women climbers of repute. Julie climbed Tensor and Vector with Joe Brown for the TV camneras."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...