UKC

Stone Country, Scottish Bouldering guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
climbing haggis 28 Mar 2005
Just bought this today, quite impressed with it. Nicely laid out and with quite a bit of info. Anyone else got it yet?
Steve Reid 29 Mar 2005
In reply to climbing haggis:

An excellent looking guide with some great photos, and knowing the amount of work behind the scenes that goes into these things, my congratulations to the authors - I hope it sells well.

There is one wee mistake I've noted though concerning the access to Clifton. This is correctly described in the latest SMC Lowland Outcrops guide and can be summarised as:

Having parked in the area of the Cemetery/ Upper Clifton Farm, continue on foot along the road for about 50m to a passing place on the left. Opposite this is a stile in the stone wall. Use this to go into the first field (wellies advised) and walk across to the left of the new farm building to an angle in a second wall. Just right of this angle is a second stile which gains you the second field (beware of the occasional bull) and in the far corner of this a gate under the crag.

Please don’t follow the access as described in Stone Country as it could exacerbate a quite delicate access situation.

There may also be nesting peregrines on the crag in which case it is possible that a restriction would be imposed. Thankfully this hasn’t happened yet, and the more climbers frequent the crag in the Spring the better as it seems to have persuaded the birds that they are better off nesting elsewhere in the valley, to the mutual benefit of all concerned. However if travelling from afar it would be sensible to check the MC of S website http://www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk/council/nests.html before setting out.
 Chris Fryer 29 Mar 2005
In reply to climbing haggis: Aye, got it and like it. I even appear in a small picture in the Glen Clova bit at the back. Rowie B and Stuart S also feature.
gourd 29 Mar 2005
In reply to climbing haggis: How easy are the grades?

I was starting to come round to the idea of bouldering until I saw the guide to Northumberland. B0 is the same as 4c! Which basically means I'd be climbing at my best before I'd even got out the car....

dcraig 29 Mar 2005
Neat guide, used a very small part of it this weekend. Wee bit of feedback from me : Read exactly what the diagram says "boulders not to scale". I flumped around "Reiff in the Woods" for the best part of an hour looking for boulders as they appeared to be next to the Loch nearby Stac Pollaidh. I kept comparing boulder locations to the loch saying 'nah these can't be them as they are to the East of the loch on the diagram'. Had there been no diagram and I just used the grid ref and text description ahem, erm, they were right next to the road as described. If you know where I'm talking about you'll think I'm a right numpty, but guess I'm more used to looking at maps than reading guidebooks!
 Smelly Fox 29 Mar 2005
Very impressed with the guide. Great pictures and a layout which encourages less ticking and more adventure. A good line to follow in a bouldering guide.
 Chris Fryer 29 Mar 2005
In reply to gourd: Range from V0 to V14 (?????) Most places have a good range.
dcraig 29 Mar 2005
In reply to dcraig:
Oh, and if you are in NW Scotland neck of the woods, there's bouldering on Sandwood as mentioned, but there's also a load of it on Oldshoremore beach too, all around at low tide.
 Chris Fryer 29 Mar 2005
In reply to dcraig: Theres tons in that area. If you go down to the "Campsite" by the cemetry, where you park for the climbing at Sheigra, there is a load on the south facind wall above the beach and on the "island" just south of it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...