UKC

Harz Mountains, Germany or Belgium

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Torbet 01 Apr 2005
Does anyone have any info on climbing in the Harz Mountains in Germany or any areas in Belgium worth a visit? Any details of Guide Books would be appreciated too. Thanks
 Petra Ernst 01 Apr 2005
In reply to Andy Torbet:

Andy,

there is a guidebook out for the Harz but it is in German have a look at the link

https://www.ssl-id.de/klettern-shop.de/pd-1932445591.htm?categoryId=1

Pumuckl
Waldmeister 04 Apr 2005
In reply to Andy Torbet:

For the Harz-guides check: www.westharz.info

Close to that area is the so called Ith with nearly 3500 routes on limestone (sport and trad). You can get the brandnew well made guidebook 'Klettern im Norden' at www.kletternimnorden.de. There are also some pictures from the Harz on it!
 nniff 04 Apr 2005
In reply to Waldmeister:

Ith is good fun - think of a cross between limestone and gritstone. Never used to think much of the Harz, myself. Used to like Freyr in Belgium, and there is a very wierd conglomerate place in Belgium, somewhere near Aachen I think, whose name escapes me completely. Worth a trip for the experience - pebblestone stuff, with a strong antichalk ethic, beacuse once you know which of the 300 pebbles within reach has got a hold behind it, the grade drops dramatically
Waldmeister 04 Apr 2005
In reply to nniff: I think you mean the Eifel,but Chalk is in use there.
 Carless 04 Apr 2005
In reply to Andy Torbet:

haven't made it to the Harz yet

but look at http://www.belclimb.net for info on Belgium.

If you're just passing through then Chris Craggs' guide is good, otherwise check the topos section on Belclimb
Davey.M 04 Apr 2005
In reply to Andy Torbet: I would concur with the previous replies.
I really wanst impressed with the hartz.....seemed like a bit of a misnomer to call them "Mountains", though at the time I had never heard of Ith as reported above....gonn look into that one.

I really liked Belgium: Nice crags, though a little polished in places. Luxembourg (Givet) was quite a magical place, though I have heard it is now closed to climbing.
If you are in the area, have a look at March Les Dames, Freyr, Namur and Dave (Its a place, not a bloke!).

There is a Chris Craggs guide to the Benelux areas.
Davey.M 04 Apr 2005
In reply to Davey.M:
Sorry, fluffed my last post
The place in Lux is called Berdorf
Givet is in France (Thats a whole other story).
al_antispam1@blueyonder.co.uk 04 Apr 2005
When I used to live in Hamburg a long time ago, the best climbing within an easy drive was Ith. I found a little info on the web just now http://www.on-sight.de/gebiete/index.html but locals should know all about it

I wouldn't go there as a holiday destination, not enough to do, but if (like I was) you're a climber stuck in the flattest place in Europe it's worth a go.
 Simon 04 Apr 2005
In reply to Andy Torbet:

i found a sandstone quarry in the region & when i put my boot on a half foot sized ledge the whole thing gave way!

scary!

;0)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...