UKC

Climber Friendly life insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jambo-uk 06 Apr 2005
does such a thing exist?

trying to arrange some at the moment. first company has increased my quote by 30% after i filled in a form, and placed exlusions on paying out due to any climbing activity.

second company has nearly doubled its initial quote without even asking me what and where i climb and placed exclusions on any climbing related accident/injury.

are there any life insurance companies out there that are a bit friendlier to climbers? Does being a BMC member make a difference?
jim@thecrag 06 Apr 2005
In reply to jambo-uk:

My M8 stan has the same problem. He has just found out his mortgage company wont pay out if he dies climbing. (god forbid)

I guess many of us if we took time to check it out would be in the same boat.
 SC 06 Apr 2005
In reply to jambo-uk:

I got my life insurance with Bupa, they wont pay out if I die soloing but didn't seem to mind other climbing.
 Ridge 06 Apr 2005
In reply to jim@thecrag:
I can (just about) understand the not paying out due to climbing related death, but then to load the premiums as well??
Obviously they have no knowledge of the 'risks' involved in climbing, and then extrapolate this perception onto other aspects of your life.
 Carolyn 06 Apr 2005
In reply to jambo-uk:

The BMC can help through Summit Insurance Services:
http://www.thebmc.co.uk/services/more/life.htm
 ENTJ 06 Apr 2005
In reply to jambo-uk:

I got my policy with equitable life (ahem) they sent me a questionaire about what standard / style / locations i climb and adjusted the policy upwards but only by about 20%

Seemed fair enough. (5 years ago mind)
jambo-uk 06 Apr 2005
In reply to Carolyn:

yep...i've just been on the phone to them and they were very helpful.
 Dazzle 06 Apr 2005
In reply to jambo-uk: Check out virgin money, they cover you for climbing.
 Dr Fran 06 Apr 2005
In reply to Dazzle:
Standard Life were very good. Sent us a questionnaire and upped the premium but only by about 15%. They prefer you to climb to a reasonable standard!!! and soloing or big nmountain ranges seemed to be very bad. But we put down low E numbers in Britain and Europe and even mentionned the winter stuff and that was OK.
As a boring general finacial rule, the deal you get with the mortgage company is nearly always the worst so you should shop around anyway!
noxious 06 Apr 2005
In reply to jambo-uk:
I agree with Dazzle. I contacted numerous companies and they all got tetchy when i mentioned climbing.
Virgin didn't seem bothered. They didn't even say about a questionnaire when i mentioned about all the other companies sending me theirs!
Didn't go with them in the end cos my present company clarified that they WOULD pay up if i died climbing but wouldn't pay the premiums (premium protection part of cover) if I was disabled/injured climbing!
Give Virgin a ring & see if they really are different. Is the fact that Branson is owner something to do with it???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...