UKC

Evening sessions (no.1 - Beacon Hill)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fidget 06 Apr 2005
Well, the evenings are longer and it's time to get out to the crags midweek! Unfortunately Warwickshire doesn't have any that are that local, so it means exploring the delights of Leicestershire.

Last night LittleBrew, Simon Ager, Bambi and I piled up to Beacon Hill. We didn't get there until 7 due to work commitments, so made sure we packed the torches! We met the Crow and his mate Steve there too, who had already done a recce and round the best spot.

Despite the warnings from Nick Ward (party pooper) about the weather, it was dry when we got there, and although some of the rock was a little green, it was all pretty climbable. Appparently the rock is Beacon Hill Hornstone, which means some is flat and glass like, and there are also some brilliant (often very sharp) edges.

There's four miniature crags, which have routes on but there's no point getting out the gear, so we worked our way around two of them and bouldered/soloed a selection. As an indication, this is Summit Crag: http://staff.bit10.net/sarahc/Photos/BeaconHill/CIMG6963.jpg

The grades are dubious too - apparently I soloed a Severe, but it was less about the grades and more about getting out in the daylight, and having a nice sociable evening. Despite the small size of the crags, there's plenty for an evening, and there's also plenty of scope for trying different stuff like hands or feet only to improve on technique. Nice views too!

We left nearly an hour after sunset, and got back about the same time we would have arrived home from the wall.

Nick Ward 06 Apr 2005
In reply to Sarah_Clough: aye - beacons a nice spot - agree with some of the gradings..

which of the crags did you climb on?
 TimB 06 Apr 2005
In reply to Sarah_Clough:
> As an indication, this is Summit Crag: http://staff.bit10.net/sarahc/Photos/BeaconHill/CIMG6963.jpg
>
>

You perv!!

Partly for climbing there, mostly for taking pics of people snogging and posting them ont'internet...
 CJD 06 Apr 2005
In reply to Nick Ward:
> (In reply to Sarah_Clough) aye - beacons a nice spot - agree with some of the gradings..
>
is that picture deceptive? it looks a bit mingy to me... perhaps I'm biased due to the large selection of evening rock on my doorstep, but even so...

JDDD 06 Apr 2005
In reply to Sarah_Clough: Blimey!! Based on the photo, Midlanders really are clutching at straws! Now that I am based in the good old north I can't imagine ever wanting to climb there. Having said that though, I did suss out Finedon slabs when I lived in Northampton!!

Glad you had a good time and good luck for more summer evening climbing!
Nick Ward 06 Apr 2005
In reply to Jon Dittman: the pictures don't really do it justice - whilst its not a world class crag, its great for pleasant evening or two's bouldering...
 James Rowe 06 Apr 2005

That is deeply bizarre looking rock.
Gold star for perservering and actually getting out on the rock after work!
While you were there I was pegging it around the 'Bunny Run' course, and the rain held off for that as well.

Cheers,

James.

OP Fidget 06 Apr 2005
In reply to TimB:

They were two of my climbing buddies. And they're fighting, not snogging!!
OP Fidget 06 Apr 2005
In reply to CJD:

The dark stuff is different colour rock, not grass. It's not the best (or biggest) crag, but better than I was expecting!
 Little Brew 06 Apr 2005
In reply to Sarah_Clough: um actually, i was being hugged?! but hey, i was climbing stuff outdoors, i dont care!

Jess.x
Bambi 06 Apr 2005
In reply to Sarah_Clough: Nice one for the write up!
Any more pics?
 Adders 06 Apr 2005
In reply to CJD: leicester rock is mingy you saw correct. but when you live there its better than nothing.
 CJD 06 Apr 2005
In reply to Adders:

good point well made!
In reply to Jon Dittman:
> Blimey!! Based on the photo, Midlanders really are clutching at straws! Now that I am based in the good old north I can't imagine ever wanting to climb there. Having said that though, I did suss out Finedon slabs when I lived in Northampton!!
>
A friend and I once drove all the way from London to suss out Finedon slabs. We were not impressed!
 Adders 06 Apr 2005
In reply to CJD: hence why i moved to Sheffield

beacon hill rock is like glass but its beautiful to look at in the right lights ( that picture didnt do it justice )
 Skyfall 06 Apr 2005

You're joking, right?

Reminds me why I don't bother trying to get out on rock in the Midlands.

OP Fidget 06 Apr 2005
In reply to Nick Ward:

Summit crag and number 4 crag
OP Fidget 06 Apr 2005
In reply to JonC:

There was plenty there to keep us amused. Better than going to the wall...
 Michael Hood 06 Apr 2005
In reply to Adders:
> (In reply to CJD) leicester rock is mingy you saw correct. but when you live there its better than nothing.

That photo is of the smallest, crappiest outcrop at Beacon Hill - the others are better
 JDDD 06 Apr 2005
In reply to Alison Stockwell: Hmmmmm. Am I right in thinking they are those concrete things amongst the brambles and nettles that used to be part of a railway embankment? I simply can't understand what lead someone not only to climb them, but then document them too! And there are some up to E1 and E2 so it wasn't just kids who wanted to make a name for themselves. Someone must really have had too much time on their hands!!!!
 Ali 06 Apr 2005
In reply to Jon Dittman: well if anyone who doesn't want the crags feel free to dump them in Cambridge - preferably on the front lawn of Catz college...would be much appreciated cheers
 FrankBooth 06 Apr 2005
I've taken my kids (2 seven yr olds) to crag number 4 (or was it 3?) and set up a top-rope a few times, great fun - loads of holds.

FB
 Michael Hood 06 Apr 2005
In reply to Alison Stockwell: I live in Leicester and have never quite had the inclination to check out Finedon in 30 years of climbing even though I've checked out loads of other esoteric places locally.

I'm not sure of the word I would use to describe your trip from London - "impressed" is close but doesn't quite get there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...