UKC

via ferrata- footwear question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ceri 13 Apr 2005
my friends are thinking of abandoning me and going to the domites this summer (june/july) to do some via ferrata. they are all climbers, so looking at doing some harder stuff.
none have been before, so i have a question from Rob for you lot: what should he take to wear on his feet? currently the options are scarpa cumbres or trainers. will either of these do, or does he really need a new pair of boots/shoes. if so, what do you recommend?
Aimless King 13 Apr 2005
In reply to ceri:
Unfortunately there are pros and cons to both his options. The cumbres will make the climbing a little easier because of the stiffened sole, but my guess is his feet will be roasting! Trainers will be less hot, but harder to climb in.

He'll get by with either, but if he's loaded, he could look into getting some Sportiva Trango S's or some Scarpa Pro-Ascents. Certainly the Trango's are very lightweight but stiffened, and can easily take a crampon (you occasionally have to cross some snow/ice patches, even in summer).

Just my opinion, like!
 Richard 13 Apr 2005
In reply to Aimless King:

Hmm... same question. Opinions on Scarpa Mantas, anyone?
 Matthew B 13 Apr 2005
In reply to ceri:

Never seen a pair of cumbres, so can't comment there, but I wouldn't fancy it in trainers if only for the thought of descending scree in them (which you're bound to have to do at some point). If you do decide he needs knew boots though, I'd definitely recommend waiting until you get out there - far more choice and save a few quid as well.
tommiddleton 13 Apr 2005
In reply to ceri: I did quite a few Via Ferratas in either combat boots (fairly stiff, good ankle support) and trainers (cool, lighter) i preferred trainers, although some people might not be happy crossing snow and scree in them.

Don't wear anything that you wouldn't be happy walking a long day over rough ground in.

If space isn't a premium, take both and decide out there.
 Matthew B 13 Apr 2005
In reply to Richard:

I would have though Mantas are going to be much too heavy.

I bought some 3-season boots out there about 4 years ago for around £60 and they're still going strong, and quite happily took strap-on crampons on the Marmolada glacier (or what's left of it) last year.

Incidentally, if anyone is going out there without crampons but fancies playing on the Marmolada, you can hire them (or could last summer) from the higher rifugio above the chairlift (walking axes too). The summit is an easy snowplod, a chossy scramble (might be worth keeping crampons on) and another snowplod along a ridge.
ceri 13 Apr 2005
In reply to ceri: cheers so far! youve said what we were thinking really, the cumbres will be hot, and the trainers will be not so good. if he has the money he's looking at a lighter weight (less thermal) pair of boots. the advice about buying boots out there seems good.
 FrankBooth 13 Apr 2005
In reply to ceri:
what about looking at a pair of 'proper' approach shoes - loads of people rave about the salomon exit thingies
Kate Turner 13 Apr 2005
I did some via ferrata last summer Aug/Sept in France,it was really hot and I just wore five ten cragmasters, I found them perfect for the job! Im not sure what the scarpa cumbres are, but i would possibly opt for something a bit more sturdy than trainers.
 Simon Caldwell 13 Apr 2005
In reply to ceri:
Whatever you'd wear for scrambling in the UK will be fine. ie it's mostly down to personal preference. I'd wear approach shoes, some people prefer walking boots (Mantas are fine), others use trainers. I've even seen someone wearing Teva sandals!
Billy 13 Apr 2005
trainers or boots (inc mantas but you might get too hot) are fine for it. just take whatever your feet feel comfortable in.
David Holden 13 Apr 2005
In reply to ceri: I have done VF in france (Crolles) just using trainers mainly so Icould run to and from the routes. They were fine. I suppose your choice may depend on the nature of the approach, descent, and if you are going to cross snow.

Last month I ought a pair of Salamon mid sticky boot things (1/2 price in Ambleside), more substantial than trainers or approach shoes which would be ideal for VFs with a roughish walk in.
 sandy 13 Apr 2005
In reply to ceri:
Did a bunch of them in Brasher Boots a few years ago. No problem and the boots are good for some of the scree filled gullies you end up walking down.... They are far more frightening than any of the VF routes! Especially when full of groups of kids kicking stones down on you..
Stefan Lloyd 13 Apr 2005
In reply to Matthew B:
> (In reply to Richard)
>
> I would have though Mantas are going to be much too heavy.
>

I've done VFs in Mantas and I thought they were exactly what was wanted. Approach shoes with a Vibram sole or similar would also be OK. I wouldn't fancy doing them in trainers, any more than I'd go scrambling in the UK in trainers.
ceri 14 Apr 2005
In reply to Stefan Lloyd: well, to be honest, rob's trainers are probably actually approach shoes or trail shoes, but it does look like the consensus might be to go for something slightly more substantial but not too hot!
 balmybaldwin 12 May 2005
In reply to Matthew B:

What time of year would you say is best for Marmolada? any good pointers on guidebooks etc. Planning on heading out there end of August, but need to research a bit about conditions and equipment to take.

Any help would be welcome!

Ed
 Matthew B 12 May 2005
In reply to balmybaldwin:

We were there start of September. We had nothing apart from flexible walking boots, but were able to hire strap-on crampons and walking axes x 2 at the hut (not sure how many they have). Obviously if you wanted to do something more ambitious (or rope up for the crossing, though at the time we did it, fissures were identifiable), you'd probably have to take stuff yourself.
imprisoned climber 12 May 2005
In reply to ceri: i did via feratta in brasher supalites. for easy one my footwear of choice if icould afford it would be trango s evos. for the harderone i might consider whering rock boots like red chilli tornadoes.
imprisoned climber 12 May 2005
In reply to imprisoned climber: or instead of the red chillis id have 5.10 guide approch shoes.
climber05 13 May 2005
In reply to ceri:

I did some via ferrata last year and opted for a decent pair of approach shoes. They were fine and coped well.
 Carolyn 13 May 2005
In reply to ceri:

I've generally worn 3 season leather or fabric/goretex boots for via ferrata - but then, we usually seem to have managed to hit coldish weather and a fair amount of snow & ice. Indeed, on some of the routes the wire was covered in a thin layer of ice, along with the rock, which made life more entertaining. If the weather had been warmer, as suspect I'd have worn approach shoes or trainers.

I wouldn't have thought your footwear's going to be a limiting factor, even on the harder via ferrata, so whatever you most comfortable in for the approaches (which can include a lot of scree) is probably best.
woodster 13 May 2005
In reply to ceri:

Did some via ferratas in the dolomites early last sept, both the old man and I wore approach shoes and it was fine. Much quicker than boots and you can run off the hill if it tips down. 5.10s are good. Take a head torch, there are 1st world war tunnels to explore.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...