UKC

Midweight soft shell tops

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Prague 26 Apr 2005
I'm looking for a soft shell top to use for summer climbing in the alps. I have a Rab VR Trail jacket, which is great worn over a light merino wool base layer in good weather or when I'm working hard, but it's not always warm enough when the weather turns worse, especially at higher elevations or when I'm standing at a belay. Something like a Montane Extreme or a Buffalo Mt. Shirt seems too warm for summer use except maybe for the top of Mt. Blanc on a cold day. Anybody have any ideas for something that's midway between a windshirt and a full-on pile and pertex top? Or is a Montane/Buffalo top really not too warm for summers in the alps?
Dave Hunter, Rock + Run 26 Apr 2005
In reply to Prague:

Buy a light synthetic insulated jacket for use on belays etc. rather than buy something to replace your VR Trail.

You'll spend the same money and have a more flexible system
In reply to Prague: Prague, I think Dave is right. I have a VR trail smock which I find awesome whren it's cold and possibly too warm for some activities - hill walking fast, ski touring, fell running etc. You and I clearly have quite different metabolisms. I'm definitely a warmie not a coldie! A synthetic jacet would be ideal - MHW Tempest insulated or TNF redpoint would be ideal, to go over either your thermal or VR trail or both, depending on how cold it is/you are. Nick
ed_bails 26 Apr 2005
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run:

In a similar situation, I'm looking for a layer to go over a Rab VR jacket for climbing to about 6500m in the Himalayas. I already have a belay jacket to go over everything, so am looking for a warm, reasonably hardwearing layer with a good hood to go over a helmet. I suppose a mixmaster would be ideal, but too expensive so I was looking at Montane Extreme smock or a Rab Vector. Any suggestions?
 TobyA 26 Apr 2005
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
> A synthetic jacet would be ideal - MHW Tempest insulated or TNF redpoint would be ideal,

Go for the TNF redpoint optimus if it fits - I've found mine great. Not as warm as my DAS parka, but a bit lighter and a lot trimmer.

Dave Hunter, Rock + Run 26 Apr 2005
In reply to ed_bails:

MixMaster really is a winter (and better) version of the VR Trail, not a belay layer.

Something like the Redpoint, Patagonia Puff or Pufball, MHW Insulated Tempest SL would be along the right lines. Or indeed the Rab Photon
IainM 26 Apr 2005
In reply to ed_bails:

I use either Patagonia Puff Vest or Puffball Smock - depending on the conditions. Works well over a VT Jacket. Works when wet. Very Light.

The only drawback is the Quantum pertex is not so durable. Mine is well patched.
 Skyfall 26 Apr 2005
In reply to TobyA:

How much gear do you own Toby?
ed_bails 26 Apr 2005
In reply to TobyA: thanks for the advice. Does the hood on your redpoint fit well over a helmet?
 TobyA 26 Apr 2005
In reply to ed_bails:
> (In reply to TobyA) thanks for the advice. Does the hood on your redpoint fit well over a helmet?

It fits well over my Elios, but in that annoying American way of fitting - where you have excellent peripheral vision and hence not much side protection. The DAS Parka is more sensible in that you can hide in your hood much more deeply and ignore the anguished screams of your leader up above you as he desperately tries to get a screw in. Ignore them and they go away. It always seems to work. More difficult in the Redpoint.
 TobyA 26 Apr 2005
In reply to JonC:

> How much gear do you own Toby?

Lots. get over it. :-P

If you really want a justification: I live in cold country, spend lots of time outside, and don't spend my money on much else. Is it ever -25 when you are waiting for the train to work?

Put like this, if you are ever in Helsinki mid-winter and want to go ice climbing, as long as you are roughly the same size as me - you don't need to bring any of your own stuff!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...