UKC

Top Roping near Plas Y Brenin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
hb 27 Apr 2005
We are taking a group of kids to North Wales this weekend , staying in one of the cottages at PYB - does anyone know any good tope rope crags with routes from VD up. Cheers
In reply to hb:

Lion Rock.

You could ask at PYB if you are allowed to use the Pinnacles, but I think they are out of bounds atm.
 DNS 27 Apr 2005
In reply to hb:

Lion rocks in Parc Padern (Sp?) near Llanberis?
 DNS 27 Apr 2005
In reply to Alison Stockwell:

Beat me to it!
hb 27 Apr 2005
In reply to hb: thanks, do you know the OS reference?
 DNS 27 Apr 2005
In reply to hb:

SH575620, or thereabouts. South side of the hill down from the radio mast. Parking for 4-5 cars on the minor road along the side of the lake. It's fairly popular with beginners (the site oi my first lead!!) including the Brenin. Might be worth checking with them if they're using it, in which case it will be swamped, or just get there before 10:00 in which case ou're the incumbant. It's not in any of the guidebooks so far as I know.
hb 27 Apr 2005
In reply to DNS: Cheers, we do have the time advantage as we can be up and out before 9-00 when most of the climbing schools are just setting off.
 Tyler 27 Apr 2005
In reply to hb:

The are a couple of crags on the left hand side as you head from PyB to PyG only a few hundred yards from PyB. They are popular with groups and called the Ricks and Racks I think. might be worth ringing PyB to check the access as they may have an exclusive agreement to use them.
hb 27 Apr 2005
In reply to Tyler: Thanks I will check with them.
OP Anonymous 27 Apr 2005
In reply to hb:
At risk of being flamed, could you not top-rope Little Tryfan?
In reply to Anonymous:

You'd need a very long rope!

But the crag at the next campsite along; Gwern Gof Uchaf, is ok for playing about on for a few hours.
OP Anonymous 27 Apr 2005
In reply to Anonymous:

Ha ha. With your 100m long rope you might just about manage the shorter routes!

The Ricks and Racks are on the Right as you drive from PyB to the PyG and they are rubbish, even for beginners.

Victim of Mathematics
hb 27 Apr 2005
In reply to Alison Stockwell: I have seen people put up top ropes and they weren't very popular!
In reply to hb:

At Gwern Gof Uchaf?
hb 27 Apr 2005
In reply to Alison Stockwell: No on Little Tryfan and the Idwal Slabs
In reply to hb:

Were they bottom-roping from anchors halfway up the first pitch? What tossers. No wonder they were unpopular!
hb 27 Apr 2005
In reply to Alison Stockwell: Yes, they were a University club and were effectively taking out the routes for the whole day - not exactly thoughtful or very polite
 Dux 27 Apr 2005
In reply to hb:

Seen groups bottom rope at Ogwen Cottage, just at the start of the path up to Idwal you turn right up a gully between over a stile and there's some stuff suitable for beginners on the right. No idea what it's called?
hb 27 Apr 2005
In reply to Dux: Cheers
OP Anonymous 27 Apr 2005
In reply to Dux:

I've heard it referred to as "tin can alley".

Victim of Mathematics
rankin sole power 28 Apr 2005
In reply to hb:

one should always snarl nastily at such groups. then solo past em and start coiling up the rope neatly and leave it stowed from a bit of gear.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...