UKC

Trango Superfly or Camp NanoWire - where can I buy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gav p 27 Apr 2005
I want to order a batch a lightweight wiregates. Does anyone know any continental websites doing the Superfly's, or failing that the Nano wire's? You can't get Trango gear in the UK, and although I've found several Euro websites that stock Trango stuff, none do the Superfly.
Can't see any UK sites doing the Nano Wires - presume they will be available soon (although they do sound a bit too small). Are they available on the continent yet?

Cheers.
Anonymous 27 Apr 2005
In reply to gav p:

why not buy heliums or new DMM biners (forgot name, updated version of wirelock??) good quality, readily (sp?) avaliable crabs from UK producers. It will be the end of the UK climbing industry if we don't support them

Rob (can't be bothered to log in)
OP gav p 27 Apr 2005
In reply to Anonymous:

Because the other biners are lighter, which is the main thing I'm looking for. I've bought plenty of WC and DMM stuff in the past - if they made the lightest wiregates, I would buy it.
Anonymous 27 Apr 2005
In reply to gav p:

Hey

Nano Wire 28g x30 = 840g
Superfly 30g x30 = 900g
Spectre (DMM) 33g x30 = 990g
Helium 33g x30 = 990g

so you want to save 150g or 90g??

Buy a lighter harness, upgrade locking crabs to new DMM ones, lighten pack weight (buy a new sac), new helmet, Some lighter clothes?? Maybe your doing aid and need 200 but im sure theres an easier way to lose the weight. Maybe you want smaller crabs, but maybe full size ones are easier to handle?? Also WC and DMM do keylock (clean nose) crabs wihich are far easier to use.

Please correct me if I am wrong but just trying to bring it into perspective.

Roblo (still not bothered to log in)
OP gav p 28 Apr 2005
In reply to Anonymous:

The biners are for a light alpine rack. A set of superfly wiregates would shave 300 - 350g from the weight of my current (slightly tired looking) rack. I already have 6 Superflys, and think they are a great bit of kit. It's not as if I already have a set of Spectres on my rack - the superflys would save far more than 90g. And minimal weight is the priority I have when buying any bit of kit. I have already upgraded other bits of equipment and clothing I have in order to reduce weight. Nowt wrong with buying continental gear if it's good!
Anonymous 28 Apr 2005
In reply to gav p:

Can't be bothered to lo in either.

If this is for a light winter/alpine rack you would be better off possibly with the WC or maybe DMM. The other biners you mention (espesh Nanos) are so light because they are small stupid biners for anorexic euro sport climbers. Good luck in gloves.

Cheers
Dave
OP gav p 28 Apr 2005
In reply to Anonymous:

Thanks, I'm not after advice, I just want to find out where I can buy the gear I mentioned! I've heard the Nanos are v. small to get to 28g (although I haven't seen one), but the Superflys are the same size as the WC/DMM biners and aren't, as you say, 'small stupid biners for anorexic euro sport climbers'. I own six of em already and they're fine with gloves.
Anonymous 28 Apr 2005
In reply to gav p:

Not sure of anywhere stocking Superflys. Most dealers probably shy away due to WC / DMM dominance. However.... Walkhigh.co.uk do stock CAMP and TRANGO gear. They don't list the superfly, but if the bring in other items, they must have the ability.

Glad you don't want nanos. those things are keyrings!

Dave
OP gav p 28 Apr 2005
In reply to Anonymous:

Cheers. Can't see any Trango gear on their site, but I've emailed them to check.
 jimkeeley 28 Apr 2005
In reply to gav p:

Cant think of many key rings with a Gate open of 9K/N and as it goes these are designed with alpinism in mind.

Good point about the gloves, but I don’t think they are quite that small, I’ve not had a problem anyway…

As for retailers, any CAMP retailer would be able to special order no worries should be able to turn is around in a week, you might have to pay P&P of course.

Depending on where you are

Ice factor, Kinlochleven
Rock + Run, Ambleside
LD mountain centre, Newcastle
V12, Llanberis (sorry about spelling)
Peglers, Arundel

Cheers,

Jim Keeley (note to self, stop reading threads and get on with paperwork!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...