UKC

LAMMM - Mourne Mountain Marathon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
satori 20 May 2005
Just noticed that Lowe Alpine are sponsoring this years Mourne Mountain Marathon - so now it's the LAMMM :os

http://www.mourne2day.com/

anyway, i know at least one person from this site has done it (Alii) and assume there are more? 'S i'm on & on' ?

just interested really - how did it compare with the other big MMs?

logistics:

did you fly or go on the ferry?
which airport / port?
was the public transport up to scratch over there for getting you to the event center?

considering doing it this year (17th / 18th Sept) but thinking of going for longer and making a bit of a break of it.
flights are very cheap at the moment and so any input would be welcome.
In reply to satori:

Indeedio, I ran the B last year and have to do the elite this year. Was a smaller, friendlier and more relaxed event. I really enjoyed it, though the navigation is never too tricky (enormous great stone walls crossing the Mournes give the game away too often). In terms of difficulty, I'd say the B was about (maybe an easy) LAMM B, and the elite a hardish LAMM A class.

We flew to Dublin, hired a car and drove up; think it was about 2-3 hours(?). Public transport in Ireland is great in the cities and variable outside. Check out http://www.translink.co.uk/ to plan journeys. Ferries are great from Holyhead (90 mins) and then you have your car, but they ain't cheap and you have to get to Anglesea.
 Heike 20 May 2005
In reply to satori:

I did it in 2000 - it was a really nice event. Everybody was really friendly and it was a friendly atmosphere. It is not quite as big as the other events (Lamm and Kim) which helps. We took the ferry from Stranraer - quite quick to get there.

They actually sold milk in the morning and in the evening there was a Red Bull car handing out cans of stuff. I drank two or three and suffered...couldn't get to sleep, because I was too hyper!
 Cordy 20 May 2005
In reply to satori:
Depending on where you're coming from I'd reckon Stranraer to belfast would maybe be the way to. Either that of Liverpool to Belfast. Then if you're bringing a car then three quarters of an hour will have you from belfast to newcastle - well signposted etc etc. Otherwise, buses from belfast to newcastle are pretty regular so no probs there if you're flying or not bringing a car. As someone else said check out the translink website for more info.

Easyjet go to Belfast Internation cheaply and there's an airport bus from there into the centre for a few quid.

Hope that helps, if you've any more Q's sure give me a shout.
satori 20 May 2005
In reply to S i'm on & on:

cheers for the info si.

sound a fun event.

was looking at flights with jet2 last night.
leeds to belfast (fly weds return tues) are in the region of £20 inc all taxes etc! - can't imagine they'll stay that cheap for long.

will have to check out the public transport on the home computer, the site you gave is blocked at work
Bingly Bong 20 May 2005
In reply to satori: when is the closing date for entries?
satori 20 May 2005
In reply to Heike & Cordy:

cheers for the info.

i quite fancy the event, but embarassingly have never been to ireland and so know far to little about it.

i think i need to dig a map out and work out where everything is.
satori 20 May 2005
In reply to Bingly Bong:

you got the MM bug? lol

they haven't even got the site up abnd running properly yet so i don't know.

i'll have a trawl on last years site to see what i can find.
Bingly Bong 20 May 2005
In reply to satori:
> (In reply to Bingly Bong)
>
> you got the MM bug? lol
>
> they haven't even got the site up abnd running properly yet so i don't know.
>

Ah, I thought it was down to me and technology not mixing...

> i'll have a trawl on last years site to see what i can find.

Lovely jubbly
satori 20 May 2005
In reply to Bingly Bong:

compasssport website has this info for last years event:

"Surf Mountain Mourne Mountain Marathon - Northern Ireland
Venue announced 10 days before event. Three classes, from 22 to 34 miles. Over 18. New under 20 class. £40.00 per team on official entry form. Closing date August 31" . Entry form on web site from mid May. "
Bingly Bong 20 May 2005
In reply to satori: Excellent... I'll be able to wait till I know how I feel after the LAMM

satori 20 May 2005
In reply to Bingly Bong:

i'll just update that. - this info is from last years entry form:

The entry fee for this year’s event will be £40.
The late entry fee for entries posted after 31 July is £50.

If by that time you are not sure who your partner is going to be you may submit an entry without your partner's details and the entry will be accepted on receipt of the ordinary entry fee. You may forward your partner's details at a later date. The following is the timetable for the deadline for receipt of entries and the posting of information on the website.

31 July Last date for receipt of entries with the normal entry fee of £40 attached.
31 August Last date for receipt of entries with entry fee of £50 attached.

4 September Final instructions and start list will be posted on the website.
 Danos 20 May 2005
In reply to Bingly Bong:

Hadn't you better get through the LAMM first!?

My training has gone to pot as I fooked my ligaments up on Wednesday. No training for a week minimum
Clauso 20 May 2005
In reply to satori:

Hmmmmmmm... I don't know about competing in the thing, as I'm lardy, but I may be able to help you out with a lift from Dublin, if you choose to arrive there?

I could always spend a weekend pottering about the Mournes and, more importantly, we'd get the opportunity to talk some serious owl together! Let me know how things go.
Bingly Bong 20 May 2005
In reply to Danos:
>
> Hadn't you better get through the LAMM first!?

that's what I said...
>
> My training has gone to pot as I fooked my ligaments up on Wednesday. No training for a week minimum

Oops sorry...

satori 20 May 2005
In reply to Danos:
>
> Hadn't you better get through the LAMM first!?

it would be better if she could sign up for the mourne before the LAMM - no backing out of it then

> My training has gone to pot as I fooked my ligaments up on Wednesday. No training for a week minimum

bugger. how did you manage that?
satori 20 May 2005
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to satori)
>
> Hmmmmmmm... I don't know about competing in the thing, as I'm lardy

i'm not letting that stop me!

> , but I may be able to help you out with a lift from Dublin, if you choose to arrive there?

very kind. dinkypen and i have been on about getting over to ireland for some while now. obviously one of the main driving forces behind this is to meet you.

> we'd get the opportunity to talk some serious owl together!

will do. but i'm not going to smuggle any more owls across internatioal borders for you!

those burrowing owls i tried to get on the ryanair flight left permanent scars in my trouser region, that quite frankly i've found hard to explain to the missus.

http://www.owlpages.com/species/athene/cunicularia/burrowing10.html

Danos 20 May 2005
In reply to satori:

Haha, true, true.

Just did it running on a treadmill, you'd think there wasn't much chance of it eh!? I was trying some new shock absorbent insoles though, they're flat (so I didn't think they'd affect pronation much) but a physio mate of mine seems to think they're the most likely cause They won't be used again!
satori 20 May 2005
In reply to Danos:

nasty. did my shin in a couple of years ago on the treadmill - put me out of running for some months. (i kept going back to quickly).

never injured myself trail running - apart from skinning my knees when going arse over tit once in a while. lol.
 Danos 20 May 2005
In reply to satori:

How did you manage to do your shin on a treadmill?

I need to get back into training pretty quick but don't want to do it too quick and beggar it up again :S Lots of advise from the physio methinks - shame it's a he and not a fit she though. Oh well.
 Ali 20 May 2005
In reply to Danos: Oh no! Hope it gets better soon, but rest it mister and don't overdo it otherwise it'll be properly buggered before the LAMM...

Treadmills jar quite a lot though I find less so if i put it on a gradient rather than just flat...
satori 20 May 2005
In reply to Danos:
> (In reply to satori)
>
> How did you manage to do your shin on a treadmill?
>
a couple of years ago i had just got back into running after a very long break.

not realising how high impact treadmill running can be i ran too far, too fast, quite possibly whilst too heavy and with a poor running style :o|

mild case of 'shin splint' pain whilst doing 20km.

didn't know what it was all about and ran through the pain on the next 20km session.

just kept trying to get back to it far too soon - with very painful results the next day.

whoops.

i am a bit wiser now and try to limit my treadmill work. especially with the light nights allowing me outside

was quite nice to do 17km on the treadmill a couple of weeks ago and have no sign of pain at all.
Clauso 20 May 2005
In reply to satori:

I think that I may have just persuaded my "other half" to have a crack at the Class C for this mountain marathon mularky. 40km over 2 days is eminently do-able?... It has the potential for regular pub stops too!

Okay, so there aren't a great number of pubs in the middle of the Mournes, but the idea is that you can choose your own route between stages? Ours will just happen to go via pubs. A pint of stout keeps the damp out.

Don't mention burrowing owls to me. Surely you heard about the Dublin Port tunnel debacle? I came up with, what I thought was, a brilliant idea for a radical new approach to civil engineering. I sold Dublin council 150,000 burrowing owls with the assurance that they'd more than out-dig your average gang of navvies... And, sure, so they did. They just didn't happen to dig in the correct direction! Last I heard, Co. Kerry was "enjoying" an unexpected influx of burrowing owls, which had disappeared beneath the earth in Dublin and reappeared again somewhere in the vicinity of Tralee!
satori 20 May 2005
In reply to Ali:

> Treadmills jar quite a lot though I find less so if i put it on a gradient rather than just flat...

quite good advice. - i mainly use them for hill training sessions now.

and even when doing a 'flat' run have a small (3%) incline on the treadmill.
 Danos 20 May 2005
In reply to Ali:

Yes mum! I was just getting into the training proper too, was going to do another couple of longer XC runs this weekend, not now!

I don't like treadmills much, but it's convenient as I can use it at work. I've been told cycling only next week, no impact sports.

Off thread, but have you got those pics from Stanage scanned yet? Not high on your list of priorities but was just thinkin bout it the other day.

Satori - yeah shin splints are all too common eh? I get them mildly, which was why I was using the new insoles! I try and warm up lots and start with a slow run to (hopefully!) avoid damaging them. Good job you seem to have them under control now - I don't do distances like that on treadmills just yet!
satori 20 May 2005
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to satori)
>
> I think that I may have just persuaded my "other half" to have a crack at the Class C for this mountain marathon mularky. 40km over 2 days is eminently do-able?

it is very do-able and a lot of fun.
would be really cool if you joined the RT mountain marathon wierdos!

as for the rest of your post re. the pubs and the owls, i'm going to have to stop reading any more as it would take some explaining if i actually pissed myself during office hours.
Daisy 20 May 2005
In reply to satori: Mourne Seven Sevens Details 2005: Organising Club: Spartan Red Sox Walking Club. Contact: Sharon Stuart (028)92683878 (prefix 048 not 028 from Republic)
e-mail:ramblernige@hotmail.com .
Start: Donard Park, Newcastle, Co Down.7-9am
Route: To climb the seven summits above 700m by any route desired by participants.
Ascent:2500m in total, distance:28km.
Entry fee:£10.00 Sterling.
For further information 2005 Info (.doc) - Photo of Slieve Bearnagh Photo of Carn. Report, Info 2003. Red Sox Website http://www.nireland51.freeserve.co.uk/srs.htm
 Ali 20 May 2005
In reply to Danos: No, sorry I forgot to take them home with me :oS I will try and remember to take them with me when i go home after exams...may just be easier for me to post them to you to look at! :oS I'm hopless I know!
tchnorton 23 May 2005
In reply to satori: Did it a few years ago. Flew to Belfast on Ryanair and then got public transport down to the event centre. Worked well, but I did have to set off on Friday morning to get there. Was then pretty easy to find a lift back to the airport when all was finished.

Great simple event with an especially friendly mid-camp. Mapping was not quite up to KIMM standards (we gained about 30 mins from guessing that a large inpenetrable wood would have fire breaks - it did but many went around it instead). This was back about four years ago though so they may do more than just enlarge the OS map now.
Alii 23 May 2005
In reply to satori:

Satori,

It's a great, laid-back event. We get cheap flights to Belfast International. Regular buses from the airport to the City. A few pints in the Crown Liquor saloon bar, then the organisers pick up from the bus station 100 yards from the bar in a mini-bus. Camp overnight at the event centre (in a comfy tent not our 'racing' tent).

Doing it this year, also the LAMM if my legs recover from Saturday's Bob Graham.

Cheers, Alii

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...