UKC

What Socks ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
johndevlin 22 May 2005
I'm off to hopefully try the Cullin Ridge next week and my one concern is my feet!!

Can anyone recommend a well padded sock that will keep my feet semi-dry and ideally wouldn't be too long as its for summer use ? I've thought of mareno wool but don't know of a make that could be recommended ???

Thanks

John
djviper 22 May 2005
In reply to johndevlin: try a brand called "smartwool"
unclemidge 22 May 2005
In reply to johndevlin:

I have been a lover of Thorlo's for ages, but Smartwool takes the biscuit for me anyday, very comfortable indeed. I have have remarkably painful feet too, so this is saying something.
 Norrie Muir 22 May 2005
In reply to johndevlin:

Dear john

If you suffer from sweaty feet, may I suggest you get fitter.

As to what socks to wear, I wear loop-stitch socks, I have one pair which are 32 year old, I replaced my others ones this winter with smartwools ones. They are no better or worse than my old ones.

Norrie
In reply to johndevlin:

Go to TK Maxx, they are punting Salomon socks of various designs/ suitabilities for notalotacash. I got a pair of their Pro Rock socks which are basically full winter mountaineering jobs for £6 (rrp £18). I noticed they had lighter styles as well.It's a deal, it's a steal...
 JamesM 22 May 2005
In reply to I am the God of Stratheyre:

You cant go wrong with a pair of Bridgedale CoolMax liners and a pair of Bridgedale AT - Boot or Summit outer socks. I used them in summer in Wales, winter in Scotland, Alps, Iceland.

Give it a go. They work for me.
 newhey 22 May 2005
In reply to johndevlin:

The hiking socks at Aldi are superb. Tactel lined and only £2.50 a pair. Cant understand the concept of paying £15 for a pair of socks.
 TN 23 May 2005
In reply to unclemidge:

Snap.
I love my Thorlos and Bridgedale socks, but I recently got some smartwool ones and they're lovely. Quite a lot cooler than the others.
 CarolineMc 23 May 2005
In reply to TN: The Coolmax liners are a must. Bridgedale ATs are great... for the first few wears, then they flatten right down. Thorlos are much better for wear and tear, so spend the money on them instead. Haven't tried Smartwool yet, but they look pretty good. C-:
johndevlin 23 May 2005
In reply to johndevlin: Thanks everyone for the comments. Are smartsocks OK on their own or would you combine with Liners ?

Liked Norries comment about getting fitter??? He's a tinker!! Norrie I've a heart rate at rest of 45-50bmp and my friends would say I have slightly higher than average fitness. I've had sweaty everything issue since I was a boy of 16yrs Sweat is actually a sing of an efficent body cooling system but your comment may have been true of another.

HAs no-one any experience of mareno wool ? I'd have thought that it would work the best ???
djviper 23 May 2005
In reply to johndevlin: smart wool socks are merino wool
i love the stuff merino is a god send!
Ackk 23 May 2005
In reply to johndevlin: Sealskins are brilliant!
johndevlin 23 May 2005
In reply to johndevlin: I think that's my answer. SmartWool it is then. Many thanks All and I'll let you know of my Cullin Experiences this sunny Bank Hol weekend using them ( If Rock n Run get them too me in time ? )
John...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...