UKC

Who's got a place on a Conville Course?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mat J 23 May 2005
Just got an email to tell me that I'm on Course G - 17-19 July.
Anyone else been successful? Especially people on that course, get in touch.
OP Mat J 23 May 2005
In reply to Mat J: I am a very happy bunny now!
 Mike D 23 May 2005
In reply to Mat J:
I'm on the same course dude! just sent you an email
Anonymous 23 May 2005
In reply to Mat J:
Yeah I just got a place on course B.

Who else is on it then?Also, so I don;t feel like a total amateur,what kinda experience you all got?

I'm leading Severe/grade 1-2 winter.Everyone else?
 Liam M 23 May 2005
In reply to Anonymous: I'm on course A, and don't feel too amateurish, I'm leading about the same grades as you.
OP Mat J 23 May 2005
In reply to Mat J: I'm around VS/HVS ,but I'm more of an amateur than you on the winter front, quite surprised I got a place with no winter experience at all!
 pandalover 23 May 2005
In reply to Mat J:
I am on D. anyone else?
5-10 23 May 2005
In reply to pandalover:

Yes...
 jam_rich 24 May 2005
I'm on the same course as you - 17th to the 19th. I'm leading about S / Grade II winter, so all about the same level so it seems. How much alpine experience do people have (if any)?

Anyone up for some beers on the 16th?

James
Mike D 24 May 2005
In reply to Liam M: Im on course A as well i was on B but then got the chance to swap to A which suits me better. im going to be going out on the 20th june and coming back on the 6th july if anyone wants a lift. Me and a mate are planning on spending some time around the cham valley, gona get some 4000 meter peaks done. If anyone is interested let me know.
Anonymous 24 May 2005
In reply to pandalover:

Who else is on Course D - I know you are Pandalover!

Where abouts are you based?

5-10 (not signed in)
Anonymous 24 May 2005
In reply to Mike D:

Hi Mike, I'm about then and am on my own.I'm in Chamonix 28th June-13th July(I think or about then).Looking to get some 4000m peaks in more than doing shorter routes.I'm quite fancying Mont Blanc du Tacul, Cosmiques, Midi Plan, Aiguille de L'M as warm up, then 3 Monts?

I have to do at least one 4000m peak, I'm obsessed with ticklists lol!

2pints not signed in.
 Liam M 24 May 2005
In reply to Mike D: There'll hopefully be a few of us around Cham for a few days before and after the course (a sort of unofficial Leeds uni club trip) so you'll probably be able to find some of us to do routes with.
Anonymous 24 May 2005
In reply to Liam M:

You at Leeds Uni then Liam?

I'm kinda looking for a temporary partner for next week when I'm back in Leeds for the week if your heading to Almscliffe/Leeds Wall and wouldn't mind someone else tagging along...

Gonna need some practice pre Alps, not been out in ages

2pints not signed in
 Liam M 24 May 2005
In reply to Anonymous: Sounds good. I'll need to check how much work I have (my supervisor has just started dropping loads on me) but I'd be up for some climbing. Just email when you are interested in heading out and i'll see what I can do.

Also does that mean you are from Leeds, and are likely to be around for the summer, as I'm always looking for partners for when the layabout undergrads b*gger off home!
Mike D 24 May 2005
In reply to Liam M: Thats cool, im going to be out there with my mate who has already done one of the courses, we are both from Loughborough Students Mountaineering Club, he's the training sec and i'm the gear sec. We are thinking about doing mt blanc by the tree summits route towards the end of our trip, but our plans are fairly fluid. Where is everyone going to be staying whilst on the course?

Liam M 24 May 2005
In reply to Mike D: I was thinking of using the campsite advertised in all the spiel if i can.
Anonymous 24 May 2005
In reply to Liam M:
Yeah, I'm from Pudsey (West out towards Bradford) and am always looking to get out over summer, too many crags to not!Based at uni in Brum and its shit, no crags or even a wall anymore!Not a hugh fan of gritstone, but as it's chuffing everywhere and beats Plastic best get a taste for it!

Not climbing very hard-Deffo a bumbly, but looks like you can lead at least what I can climb!

Will mail you next week.

2Pints not signed in
Anonymous 24 May 2005
In reply to Mike D:

Mont Blanc is at the very top of my list of things to do in Chamonix this summer!

I'd be deffo up for doing if I'm in shape/acclimatised and all that

2pints
 pandalover 25 May 2005
In reply to Anonymous:
I live in york how about you?
Anonymous 25 May 2005
In reply to pandalover:

Student in Birmingham, but from/live in Leeds during the holidays.

WHich Conville are you on?
 Sean_J 25 May 2005
In reply to Liam M:
...for when the layabout undergrads b*gger off home!

Oi, I take great pride in being a particularly lazy ungergrad! Climb now work later etc...

Who else from the club is going? Are Luke and Danielle still coming? We'll see Tim and his bro. out there no doubt, I expect a few of the ex-student members will be around as well. Maria might turn up at some point for a bit as well, but not sure.

Anyway, I reckon we should stay at the Argentiere campsite (i.e. where the Conville course is based). Also, I want to stay out there for as long as possible, i'm currently thinking 20th June until 20th July-ish, so if you're wimping out after 2 weeks or so then i'll be on my own...

So, anyone else interested in doing stuff with me? I'm not particularly fit, nor have any alpine experience (some Scottish winter stuff though), so nowt too gnarly please.

Oh, and P.S. I got onto course A. See you down the pub tonight; i'm off to Almscliff at 3, so might be a bit late. If you're free you're welcome to join me and Tim.

Mike D 25 May 2005
In reply to Jam Rich:
Hey James,
Guess Matt, you and myself are the course g posse then!
My names Mike, Im a student at Cardiff.

I'm gonna be around Nottingham the week of 6th June, and me and Mat thought it'd be cool to get a couple of routes(/beers) in on the thurs or fri the 9/10th. If you're still around in the Notty area then fancy joining us?

Mike

5-10 25 May 2005
In reply to pandalover:

Sunny Huddersfield!

Not too far away then!
5-10 25 May 2005
In reply to 5-10:

How are any of you guys getting to Chamonix. It might be worth having a pre trip discussion, swop ideas etc...
 pandalover 25 May 2005
In reply to Sean & Liam:
i'll be there from 6th-8th july ish i'll stay for a bit longer after the course. do you fancy some climbing there too apart from alpine stuff? liam are you staying there after the course too? by the way i am weilin if you still remember me.
 Liam M 25 May 2005
In reply to pandalover: Hello again. Unfortunately I've not got that many days holiday left, so I'll probably be leaving just as you arrive. But if you remember Sean from the Roaches, he might be staying around a bit longer, and might be up for climbing.
 Liam M 25 May 2005
In reply to Liam M: Do'h of course you'd remember Sean - you've just replied to his post! I should learn to kepp up with threads.
Removed User 28 May 2005
Any one on course F - 13th - 15th July?
Cheers
Damo
 Andy Campbell 31 May 2005
Hiya. Another undergrad clmbing bum here. I'm on course K - anyone else here got the same date?? Im traveling out on my own so it would be great to meet other peeps out there for some climbing. I'll be in cham for the first 2 weeks of august, interested in doing routes at a good pace, living as cheap as possible and fitting in some sport climbing too. Good company would be greatly appreciated.
 fizz 31 May 2005
In reply to Mat J:

Hi to Mike & Liam - I'm also on course A ... feeling unfit, elderly [spot the non student] nervous and about to do a lot of shopping. Leading LOWLY rock grades with zilch winter experience, was dead honest on the application, so stunned to be coming along - and thrilled, yippee!

Coming from London and plan to use the suggested campsite and do a few days b4/after - would love to stay longer & get that lift but have other trips booked too so time off's a bit tight.
 soph 31 May 2005
In reply to Mat J: Im on course 'I' and am heading out on my own - anyone else on that course??
Soph
 Green Porridge 31 May 2005
In reply to soph:

Im on course B and flying home from grenoble on friday the 8th of july. Does anyone have any bright ideas about cheap transport from cham to grenoble? Also, i might be looking for someone to do some routes with after the course, particularly nearer the end of my stay, if anyone is interested....

Tim
 2pints 31 May 2005
In reply to Green Porridge:

Hey Tim, I'm doing course B, I'm on my own so would be looking to do some nice snow and mixed routes after the course too.I'm heading out to Cham the night before and heading back to England July 16th.Will obviously speak to you during course too, email me if you fancy meeting up the night before the course, I'm without a drinking buddy

Rob Dyer 31 May 2005
In reply to 2pints: Hey 2pints and Epic Ebdon I'm on course B too - how are you guys getting out there - I'm looking at getting the coach because the flight/tranfers look like they will cost a fortune (for a poor finalist anyway.) Rob
 2pints 31 May 2005
In reply to Rob Dyer:
Flying mate, I got my flights Nottingham-Geneva for about £80, there not that much more now, I had to change my outbound flight and it was still about £30 before taxes.

Don't fancy coach man, 26hours or somet!

Although my journey from Leeds-Chamonix is going to take about 11 hours with coach/plane/bus and all that rigmarol (sp?).

Where you from Rob?You out on your own?When you staying till?Lets all meet up night before.
 Green Porridge 31 May 2005
Well, flying to Grenoble from Luton is £34 (inc. taxes) with easy jet. Obviously it's double if you decide to buy a sandwich in flight...

Im going with some mates from uni and we're going to cram into a hire car and split the cost between us, which doesnt make it too bad. They're all coming home before me though, so im thinking train from Cham to grenoble, looks like itll be between £16 and £25 but much hassle, from what i could glean using GCSE french from the SNCF website.

Drinks seem obligatory on Tuesday night, assuming im all sorted by then- i believe im staying in bernard's campsite in cham.

Tim
 Rob Dyer 01 Jun 2005
In reply to Green Porridge: I haven't made travel arrangements yet but I'm on an expedition a few weeks after the course so I will just go for whatever's cheapest in an effort to save as much money as poss, and that looks like the coach unfortunately. My parents live in Bournemouth but I'm at uni in London so will probably catch the coach from Victoria if possible. As for drinks on the Tuesday, count me in! Not sure about routes after - I would certainly like to in order to get a bit of experiance but I may have to be home ASAP for work but I will let you guys know - maybe I will have time for one route or something, I can only hope. 2pints: where are you camping - I think I will be at the site mentioned in the info pack to keep things simple.

Rob
Anonymous 01 Jun 2005
In reply to Rob Dyer:

I'm camping at that place they told us about.Its where the course starts from and I'm lazy first thing in the morning.I checked out the website of it and it looks ok, though allegedly the owner is mental...
Anonymous 01 Jun 2005
In reply to Anonymous:

^^^^^^^^2pints at work
 AndyH1710 01 Jun 2005
In reply to Mat J:

Don't want to sound like a prat but what is a conville course?

Andy
Anonymous 01 Jun 2005
In reply to Mat J: .

Conville is a subsidised mountaineering course in the Alps for people under 25
 Andy Campbell 03 Jun 2005
Just booked flights with easyjet. I will be on me tod when i get there on wednesday the 27 july until my course starts on the 31st of july. If anyone is around between these dates i'd love to get some sport climbing done or something energetic at least.

No worries

andy
 Rob Dyer 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Anonymous: Fair enough - I think that will be my plan too, but the coach gets me in on the morning the course starts so unfortunately I wont be around to hit the bars on the Tuesday night. Looks like I will be staying until the 6th possibly because the way the coaches work out so will prob be keen to get some routes done after. I reckon I will camp at the campsite they mention after the course though.
Anonymous 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Rob Dyer:

Will you be able to get to the campsire by 8.30 for the start?

Don't think I'd fancy an overnight bus journey before going cranking!

2pints
 Rob Dyer 04 Jun 2005
In reply to Anonymous: Yeah I know - could be interesting! Well there's only 3 busses a week and the one before is on my 21st birthday and I have no intention of spending that on a National Express nightmare coach! Apparantly the bus gets in at 0700 and theres a train from Cham to Argentiere 0740-0757 according to the nice tourist info people which should get me in in time for the start. Do you have any idea if we are heading straight out onto the hill after that meeting by the way - I have no idea where I will stash my camping kit otherwise as I doubt I will have time to put the tent up/sort out the campsite fees etc - thats about the only problem I can think of.

Rob
ben ward 06 Jun 2005
In reply to Andy Campbell:
I'm on course L and I'll be staying in cham until about the 12th August. Are you sticking around after your course?
 Andy Campbell 06 Jun 2005
In reply to ben ward:

Hiya. Yeh im not flying home until the 10th of august so if you want to meet up to do some climbing that would be excellent. Do you have any routes in mind?

cheers
 Andy Campbell 09 Jun 2005
.bump.
 2pints 16 Jun 2005
In reply to Rob Dyer:

It says if you don't arrive by 8.50 someone else will get your place, so I guess you might need to be superfast pitching your tent and stuff.I'm sure there will be a left luggage type place at Chamonix Train Station.

Under 2 weeks to go!I'm getting slightly scared...
matt707 24 Jun 2005
In reply to Andy Campbell: I am on course L and will be in cham for the first two weeks of august - have to return for exam results on the 18th . It would be cool to meet up to do a few routes and sport climbing. I am stating at the campsite they reccomend - also trying to live as cheaply as possible!. What grade do you climb at?
 2pints 24 Jun 2005
In reply to Mat J:

I'm arriving Tuesday for about 3 weeks, anyone out there now wanna get out?

Prefer to do snow/ice routes than rock post conville, probs some PDs.Anyone?
ben ward 25 Jun 2005
In reply to Andy Campbell:
Not really, think I'll just wait til I get there. My brother's out there for the summer so i'm sure he'll recommend a few things.
ben ward 25 Jun 2005
In reply to matt707:
Guess I'll see you on the course as I'm also on course L. I'll be around for a week or so afterwards, definitely up for doing some routes. Not really sure what the French grades mean but I'll probably want to do something fairly easy.
 Andy Campbell 27 Jun 2005
In reply to matt707: Good stuff. I lead up to VS trad and 6b sport at the min. How bout you? This is my first foray into alpine climbing though, should be interesting. Ill be at the recommended camp site(les chalosettes?) right at the start of August too. My mobile no. is 07855974382, not sure whether it will work in the alps but it should do. Or just look for the short, confused looking guy with long hair and glasses
Welsh Nic 09 Jul 2005
In reply to Removed Userpmemdacw:

Hi I'm on the course 13-15 July. Heading out on Monday from Liverpool and staying out until 20 July. Not made any plans as yet, probably just see what happens. Hoping to book into the campsite in argentiere. Am up for any climbing after the course though.

Just moved up to the wirral so am really looking forward to getting away from all these scallies for 2 weeks (no offence if your scouse!).
angus37000 11 Jul 2005
Hi

I'm on course J, 27-29 July. Anyone else on this one, or a course close to it, want to meet up?

I'm travelling out on 23 July, hope to be at the campsite night of 24th for a couple of days before the course, then staying around after for while before moving on to the Ecrins.

Been a trad leader for 3 years, some scottish winter experience.

Angus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...