UKC

Zealot or superfly

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
HartlepoolGuy 17 Jun 2005
I am in two minds about a new waterproof. Macpac Zealot or montane superfly?

Theoutdoorshop has the zealot for £170 and the superfly for £125.

i was/am planning on going to the montane factory shop(ashington, an hour north) to see the superfly there check the price, been to the shop a few years back and very cheap gear which is marked as second but you can't tell its a second!

I have an obsesion with Macpac gear I have macpac ascent rucsack a 35L macpac rucsack and a macpac microlight tent. Is the Macpac Zealot jacket better than the superfly?

I plan to hill walk in the Lakes,Dales, North York moors, scotland occasioanlly and back pack with it. Keep me dry when retreating from crags and some scrambling maybe.

I currently have a tog24 bright orange(yes i chose that colour) waterproof that has served me well but it a bit heavy now and not too great breathability wise(think it uses bog standard Gore Tex) although during a 4 day backpack in Cairngorms where it rained scottish rain none stop and I Bivvied it kept me dry then.

So any advise on Macpac or Montane waterproof greatly appreciated.

Anthony
Dave Hunter, Rock + Run 17 Jun 2005
In reply to HartlepoolGuy:

The superfly is a better k]jacket performance wise. Unless the Zealot fits you MUCH better, go for the Superfly. You won't be disappointed
 Cordy 18 Jun 2005
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run:

Yup, go for the Superfly
 Lucy Wallace 19 Jun 2005
In reply to HartlepoolGuy:
The Zealot might be a bit more durable but it is consequently heavier. The Superfly is lighter and will breathe much better becasue it is eVent. The main criteria I would go far are fit, and hood. Make sure the hoot fits over your helmet when you are wearing a pack and that the bottom doesn't rise up too much when you waggle your arma about above your head.
Macpac jackets tend to be a bit of a funny shape and don't fit everyone I reckon.
HartlepoolGuy 20 Jun 2005
In reply to HartlepoolGuy: Thanks, all advise taken on board and will plan a trip to a shop/factory shop for fitting and possibly purchase within the next two months i think, if i can wait that long.

I'm quite amazed that this thread could possibly the only one without some idiot saying something idiotic!

Thanks all who replied.

Anthony

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...