UKC

Fool's Paradise Borrowdale - very serious rockfall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Steve Reid 18 Jun 2005
Tragically, there was a fatal accident to a climber on the top pitch of Fool's Paradise, Gowder Crag Borrowdale yesterday evening when a large block came away.

There is still much loose debris in the vicinity and there may well be more unstable blocks in the top chimney.

Climbers are urged to avoid the crag in general and this climb in particular until the local Mountain Rescue Team have had a chance to assess the situation.
Wes 18 Jun 2005
In reply to Steve Reid:
Pinned that up on the notice board at work as i know some of the guys were talking of going there over the next couple of days, thanks Steven!
 MG83 18 Jun 2005
In reply to Steve Reid: There was a thread about a loose block on here a few days ago, guess it was the same one.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=133968
Sharky 18 Jun 2005
In reply to Steve Reid:

Do we know who was involved?

Have a few Keswickian friends who like doing that route
Wes 19 Jun 2005
In reply to Sharky: Unfortunately, it was a friend of one of the team here.
wildcountryfriend 19 Jun 2005
In reply to Wes:

wes i have friends in the west of cumbria, keswick, and penrith, any chance you could give a bit more info, by e-mail if you prefer.

I'll phone around in the meantime.

best wishes,

Wildy
Wes 19 Jun 2005
In reply to wildcountryfriend: Yep, i'll have achat with my man and find out for you.

I'll let you know by email
wildcountryfriend 19 Jun 2005
In reply to Wes:

much appreciated.

cheers
Wes 19 Jun 2005
In reply to wildcountryfriend: Just sent you an email, old boy.
 Howard J 19 Jun 2005
In reply to Steve Reid:

As the OP of the previous thread warning of the loose block I am deeply saddened by this news. My thoughts are with his family.

I thought that this forum would be the quickest and most effective way of spreading the warning, and I am left wondering what else we could have done, not being local to the area.

karl walton 19 Jun 2005
In reply to Howard J:
Very sad for all concerned, you played your part well, and I cannot think of anything more you could have done. It's a big world, and not all climbers use RT.
Every climber accepts ultimate responsibility for their own life each time they go out.
 wizz walker 19 Jun 2005
In reply to Howard J:
> (In reply to Steve Reid)
>
> As the OP of the previous thread warning of the loose block I am deeply saddened by this news. My thoughts are with his family.
>
> I thought that this forum would be the quickest and most effective way of spreading the warning, and I am left wondering what else we could have done, not being local to the area.

Not a lot really, given that this is the time of year when people come from all over, even Europe, to climb up there & not all are visitors to this site. Short of nailing a sign up, or an outright ban on the route. I guess we all know the risks.

Sympathy to those involved.

Dominion 19 Jun 2005
In reply to Howard J:

Firstly, don't blame yourself...

People don't check web-sites about access issues, bird nesting - and other than putting a notice at the bottom of that climb (which could have got blown away, or removed anyway) there is nothing really you could have done...

We climb outdoors at our own risk.

It sounds as though you were possbly very lucky to get away with it last week...

Sympathy to all the friends and family of the climber who was killed.
Ross Cooper 19 Jun 2005
Dear all,

I've just recieved some very sad news regarding this thread.
All I know at the moment is that an old friend of Mine, Mathew Wilkes, and his climbinging partner we're on the route when the rockfall happened. Mathew died from his injuries, which i don't wish to list.

Mathew, and Pete Gunn we're two great friends of mine when we we're all at bicton college, and i have very fond memories of climbing together. Pete called me this evening to tell me the sad news. Pete wasn't at the climb at the time, but was house shareing with him.

My sympathies and thoughts are with Mathew's family and friends, and i just want to say here that Mathew was a great climber when i met him, always keen and very proactive.

I haven't seen Mathew or Pete for 5 years, but as i said above, i consider them great friends and i'm saddened and shocked by the news.

I'm sure we've all been in situations of danger when climbing, but this brings home the message more than ever to us. Please check to route you climb as carefully as you can. Check your holds, and check your gear.

Be safe and God Bless.

Ross Cooper

spider
Tony Loughran 21 Jun 2005
A message to Ross & Pete (and all the climbing world)
Matt was one of the greatest inspirational individuals i've ever had the pleasure to be with. He never gave up on a challenge and lived life to the full. He always thought of others, (apart from meal times in a bivvy) when his fork was bigger than anyone elses !.

It is with a very heavy heart that i write this message and i wish to god that he was back with us, but sadly all we have left are great memories of someone that must NEVER be forgotten.

Ensure that his character and name lives on (name a route after him), for he would have done the same for you..

Tony Loughran, Jill Johnston, & Katie Loughran
Sydney 2005

spider 21 Jun 2005
In reply to Tony Loughran: thankyou for your words, A great idea about naming a route. When i next put one up, it will justifyanly named in Matt's honour.

Regards

God Bless
Ross Cooper
Steve Reid 25 Jun 2005
Cleaned up - this climb has now had most of the debris removed by anonymous but public-spirited persons. In their judgement the blocks fell from the left of the last pitch and the pitch itself still looks as climbable as before, however climbers should as always use their own judgement.

We would be interested to know of any ascents after the 12th.
Alan Davis 27 Jun 2005
In reply to Tony Loughran:
My wife and Matthews Mum have been friends for many years; I wanted to write to express how moved I was when I read your stirring words in Matts honour. I live in the U.S. so cannot be present at Monday's service, but my thoughts will be with Matt's family and friends.
Alan Davis
South Carolina
mac_climb 27 Jun 2005
In reply to Alan Davis: These sorts of things remind young people like me that climbing really isn't safe the whole time and that unfortatly upsetting things do happen. Thoughts to the family
Sally Myatt 28 Jun 2005
In reply to Steve Reid: My brother Philip Hunt tragically died aged 26 on Friday 24th June on Eve at Shepards Cragg, Borrowdale.

We know that there were two doctors who were climbing and a off duty mountain rescue chap who was having a coffee in the cafe who came to Philips assistance and we would like to thank them for all their brave efforts.

simon pape 30 Jun 2005
In reply to Steve Reid:

We climbed the route on the 13th (unaware of the accident).

Although the last pitch seemed dirty, I wasn't aware of any loose rock on it and it didn't seem any hard than the advertised 4b.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...