UKC

Climbing near Manchester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alrobertson 22 Jun 2005
I'm going down to Manchester for four weeks to do my elective in forensic medicine.

i have never climbed in england at all (unless you count standing at the bottom of red pencil direct in the pouring rain) and would love to do some climbing down there.
what are the best places to go, and if i buy one guidebook what should it be.

when are the quiet times. i dont particularly like crowds.

and finally, does anyone want to come climbing with me. Operating in the S-VS range. hoping to do my first HVS any day soon. happy to second harder.

ta.
Al.
 craig h 22 Jun 2005
In reply to Alrobertson:

The Chew Valley, especially - Standing Stones, Dovestones Edge and Laddow Rocks, all good for S/VS's. They are quiet all the time!
Hobson Moor is a good evening place, Parkers Eliminate is a good HVS if you have not led your first on by then. Some nice VS climbing as well.
 JDDD 22 Jun 2005
In reply to Alrobertson: Buy Western Grit, which should really be retitled Climbing Near Manchester!! There are loads of fantastic places to visit, many of which can be reached by public transport. None are crowded with the exception of the Roaches. Think Chew or Longdale. Shining Clough is exceptional and Laddow has some long forgotton Classics. Dovestones has some brilliant VD - VS routes in a superb setting.

Give me a yell when you arrive and I may be up for a bit of this and that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...