UKC

Yeti Gaitors info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Paul Gillespie 05 Jul 2005
I was thinking about getting myself a pair of Berghaus Yeti Gaitors for this winter coming and was wondering what people generally think about them i also need to know what size to get. They are to go over a pair of nepal extremes size 45. Would this be size large or extra large?

Cheers
Paul
djviper 05 Jul 2005
In reply to Paul Gillespie: size wise id take your boots to the shop to make sure you get it right
In reply to djviper: I would normally but i'm getting them mailorder for £15

Cheers
djviper 05 Jul 2005
In reply to Paul Gillespie: be cheeky lol still go into the shop try em out and tell em you will be back in a couple of days
In reply to djviper: If it's a tight fit, i'll not be able to get em off my boots and i'll have to buy em! lol
djviper 05 Jul 2005
In reply to Paul Gillespie: lmao no pleaseing some!
 Simon Caldwell 05 Jul 2005
In reply to Paul Gillespie:
Well I was going to say don't bother they're not worth the extra money - but if you're only paying £15 then I won't!
Do you not rate them Simon?
Dave Hunter, Rock + Run 05 Jul 2005
In reply to djviper:
> (In reply to Paul Gillespie) be cheeky lol still go into the shop try em out and tell em you will be back in a couple of days

Shops really appreciate that kind of thing. We laugh about it a lot.
djviper 05 Jul 2005
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: and of course this wasnt aimed as a joke! hence the wink!
 gear boy 05 Jul 2005
In reply to Paul Gillespie: if they are yeti attack then they are size in 2 euro sizes, extremes are m, l, xl, you would need large, fitting is always fun, but they need to be tight, generally glue them on toe other wise they flip off in use
They're OK, but not worth the usual price, IMHO. For winter use, I've never had any problem with leaky gaiters anyway, the main advantage of my yetis came when staying dry wading through bogs in summer, but then I found them too hot in summer so never wore them
I'm sure that other people will disagree...
 gear boy 05 Jul 2005
In reply to djviper: shop staff hate people like you, if you want advice and service, then buy it in the store where you get that, there is reason behind why its cheaper on the net
Thanks Gear boy and Simon!
Think i might get a pair and then i've not lost much if i don't get on with them.

Cheers
 Damo 05 Jul 2005

Depending on the boot and size, you may find that Yetis 'bag out' around the boot and can get snagged too easy cramponing. This negates the nice trim nature of NepEx boots. Doesn't happen so much with old plastics. And yes, you *really* need to glue them down well - they rise up off most boots.

D
djviper 05 Jul 2005
In reply to gear boy: T12t! read my post before you comment as i stated it was made in jest hence the "lol" and wink at the end!
 gear boy 05 Jul 2005
In reply to Paul Gillespie: accepted, i was responding when you wrote, but i dont think you should suggest it, true words spoken in jest an' all
Cheers Damo, thats the kind of info i'm after. So i guess i should really try them on first before i part with the cash.

Cheers
 Dave Stelmach 05 Jul 2005
In reply to Paul Gillespie: Take your boots to a shop and try some on. Then buy elsewhere if the price isn't right! I agree that you need to glue them, otherwise snow tends to creep underneath and you end up with a pair of bell-bottoms!
In reply to Dave Stelmach:

If one is going to do that sort of thing, it's preferable to state in advance:

'Hi, I'd like to try these gaiters (or whatever) for size. I'm probably not going to buy them here because I can get them cheaper elsewhere. D you mind awfully if I take the piss?'

I'd be a lot happier with that (and would leave them to it sans advice) than the usual

'Can I try these on... great, just what I'm looking for... I'm going to have to think about it'.

We may just be shop staff but we're not stupid. An honest approach will at least gain you some respect.
djviper 05 Jul 2005
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: an interesting theory for you dave
you run a shop that caters to the customer, frustrating as you may find it the customer is entitled to back out of a transaction at any time!
i would personaly spend more money in a shop that was helpfully and offered advice weather a sale would be made or not!
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run:

You must have to put up with that a lot, mate!
(BTW I used to work in a shop before the onset of internet shopping).
IMO it should only impact on poor shops where the prices aren't keen enough to compete. Or where the staff don't show enough impetus to sort you out with a deal.
There's a lot of that about unfortunately...
In reply to djviper:

I don't mind folk backing out. I have no objection to folk making decisions carefully.
I do object to folk who have every intention of using our staff time/expertise to then purchase from somewhere that does not offer the same service AND who do not declare that in the first place.

What on earth is the problem with being up front as I suggested?
djviper 05 Jul 2005
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: beleive me mate i do sympathyse with you on that one
it just came accross different in your post
man_in_the_alps 05 Jul 2005
Will you share,where ? £15 is a bargin,could do with a pair myself
 TobyA 05 Jul 2005
In reply to Paul Gillespie: I'm not sure about the precise sizing - but if it doesn't take about 10 minutes of fighting to get them on and leave you with skinned knuckles you've probably got them too big.

As Damo said, they can be a bit baggy around the ankles. I tend to only use mine if I know a lot of bogs and or wet snow will be about, or if I'm going to be using my Nepal Extremes for more than one day without a chance for them to dry out - like and ice climbing weekend where you camp out over night. Otherwise for day trips ice climbing I just use normal gaiter or stop-tous.
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: I also used to work in the outdoor shop trade and i'm of the opinion that if i have used the services and assistance of the shop then i'm happy to pay the little extra.

Thanks for all the info guys

Paul

I reckon shop assistants should ask if folk have been shopping about, and suss if they are inclined to buy off t'net- the next step should be a bit of flexibility on the sale price if the customer is showing signs of disinterest. I did a good bit of shopping around in Glasgow for tents just there and got service ranging from very poor (in big retailers) to excellent (smaller firm).
I ended up getting my tent at £40 less than RRP (in a shop) because I was bold enough to say I'd seen it cheaper on the net. I'd prefer to keep shops in business by doing this.
A lower profit margin is still a sale with a profit (even if it's lower than it might have been).
Hope you're not offended by this, it's just a general comment.
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre:

But you've been up front about it which is all I ask.

Sometimes shops can match prices, sometimes they can't. What's irksome is trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

>What's irksome is trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

I bet it is.

Lightweight 05 Jul 2005

Dave, I agree with what you say.

Without taking away from this, I'd have thought Rock and Run was a net winner from the internet - and I say this as a compliment to your great online proposition.

Guess it must lead to some conflicts though. Bet people trying to sell Montane tops at full price must be irked at you guys. There again, I bet you don't like TK Maxx selling Patagonia.
In reply to Lightweight:

Oh we are, we certainly are. I'm not objecting to web shops (or any other shops). But I think that going into a shop AND taking up staff time (both things together) to try something with NO intention of buying from that shop is cheeky. And if one is doing it it would be couteous to say so rather than to pretend otherwise.

Fortunately, the days of TKPatagonia are over.
 Lightweight 05 Jul 2005

I agree with you about people going into shops then buying on the net.

Don't agree with you about TK Maxx though. Them selling Patagonia at low prices is not different from you guys selling Montane at cheap prices.

Besides, I don't believe TK Maxx have online, so the influence of their heavy discounting carries less in some respects.

In reply to Lightweight:
Just about everyone sells Montane at cheap prices.
In reply to Lightweight:
> (In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run)
>
> I agree with you about people going into shops then buying on the net.
>
> Don't agree with you about TK Maxx though. Them selling Patagonia at low prices is not different from you guys selling Montane at cheap prices.

I just meant fortunately for outdoor retailers. Should perhaps have had a smiley. Apologies.
>
> Besides, I don't believe TK Maxx have online, so the influence of their heavy discounting carries less in some respects.

Given that people were (very sensibly) driving 200 miles and more to buy Stretch Element Jackets, I'm not so sure...
 Lightweight 05 Jul 2005

i wouldn't have driven 200 miles to buy a stretch element at half price. but if it was on your excellent website, i'd have ordered one there.

actually, come to mention it, it seems you're selling Patagonia jackets on the internet at half price - which is a TK Maxx style discount.

look:
http://www.rockrun.com/shop/prod.html?d=5&t=331&p=2814&sid=6229...
In reply to Lightweight:

TKMaxx were selling the said jackets for £100. £230 less than the RRP. God knows how.
In reply to Lightweight:

But (again) I'm not against hunting for bargains, just the way some folk go about it...
 TobyA 06 Jul 2005

> Fortunately, the days of TKPatagonia are over.

Should that have been followed by an evil laugh? No wonder I haven't found anything interesting the last few time I've looked. No fun....

I did get some Animal sunglasses for 14 quid though when the RRP had been 50!

In reply to TobyA:

TK Salomon winter climbing socks was a good phase. £6 from £18.
loopyone 06 Jul 2005
In reply to Paul Gillespie: I have a set of yeti extrem that i wear over berghaus raid GTX boots (soft boots) and they never come off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...