UKC

pete crew

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ste 15 Jul 2005
whatever happened to pete crew? bit of an unsung hero in my opinion
 KeithW 15 Jul 2005
In reply to ste:

He's a Methodist minister now.

He was minister a few years ago at the church my Scout Group was based at. All round top bloke.
 Bob 15 Jul 2005
In reply to ste:

I think he basically gave up climbing and moved to the South East and went into computing - he was a good mathematician IIRC.

Bob
john alcock at home 15 Jul 2005
In reply to KeithW:
In the early 70's my sister and I started to show an interest in climbing and my Dad (who'd given up when we were born) went on a guiding course with Pete to learn about nylon ropes, hemp waist lines and other new fashions.
My Dad was one of the Uk's senior archaeologists and he got Pete interested in the subject. Pete, who was always an all-or-nothing enthusiast, dropped climbing for a degree and susbsequent career in archaeology.
I spent summers as a young teenager "babysitting" his kids at their home in Deiniolen. It was quite an eye-opener. The Byronesque Jim Perrin spent time there hiding from the police and angry women.. He emerged to take me up Cloggy and play "let's go continental" with Al Harris.
Crew gave me his trademark white oiled wool sweater, early chest harness and the boots in which he climbed the Boldest, all of which I wore with pride for some time but have sadly now lost.
OP ste 15 Jul 2005
In reply to john alcock at home:
i'd heard rumours he'd become an archeaologist, but the computing and religion are new. surely he's not doing all of them!!
Am Bodach 15 Jul 2005
In reply to all:

So is he a minister, a mathematician or an archaeologist or what??
 Max factor 15 Jul 2005

what a wonderful story!
 JDDD 15 Jul 2005
In reply to ste: Do you know - that is really weird cause I thought of him too when the Pete Livesy thread went up. I don't know anything about him other than the fact that he did Crews Route at Hobbson Moor which is a mini classic!
 John2 15 Jul 2005
In reply to Am Bodach: He certainly was, and possibly still is, an archaeologist in Snowdonia.
john alcock at home 15 Jul 2005
In reply to John2:
I'm not in touch with him these days, but certainly last year my Dad was still getting archaeology-related letters from Pete.
Brilliant competitive media manipulator in Livesey mode. World's worst boulderer.
Best quote:
"I prefer leading; it means I can fall further".
Pete used to lead on a pair of overweight No 4 hawsers, which at least gave his waist-belayed seconds something to hang on to when he did peel.
Mark Adams at work 15 Jul 2005
In reply to john alcock at home: Last I heard he was Snowdonia National Park Archaeologist. It took a while for it to dawn on me that the climber and archaeologist were one and the same person.
 Budge 15 Jul 2005
In reply to ste:

He was (he may have retired now) the archeologist at Snowdonia National Park. He had a particular interest in industrial archeology. He was passionate and very driven about his subject.

Whilst not climbing anymore he was always interested in what was going on, I remember him taking the piss out of us for visiting a sports climbing venue, which we didn't do often, unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to respond with a comment about bolts on Cloggy.

OP ste 15 Jul 2005
In reply to Jon Dittman:
> (In reply to ste) Do you know - that is really weird cause I thought of him too when the Pete Livesy thread went up. I don't know anything about him other than the fact that he did Crews Route at Hobbson Moor which is a mini classic!

just look at some major 1st ascents on cloggy, gogarth, the peaks and elsewhere. i did the brush off at rivelin last year which now gets E4 5c and a full compliment of stars. he did seem to be in the joe brown shadow, which is a shame as i reckon many of his routes pushed the envelope just as much if not more at the time.
 John2 15 Jul 2005
In reply to ste: I heard somewhere that he now regards his climbing years as a waste of time, being totally satisfied by his life as an archaeologist.
OP ste 15 Jul 2005
In reply to John2:
> (In reply to ste) I heard somewhere that he now regards his climbing years as a waste of time, being totally satisfied by his life as an archaeologist.

suppose its how you value what you do. you could argue that he climbed lots of routes that have since brought pleasure to many, but someone else would have done them eventually if he hadnt so we'd still be enjoying them. the archaeology could to some extent be argued the same way. new routes versus new finds!
 Postmanpat 15 Jul 2005
In reply to ste:
I think he was widely regarded as the man who successfully challenged the Brown legend albeit with a number of others just behind him .
He got a lot of media coverage , was on the Hoy and Anglesey TV extravaganzas etc . In the late sixties/eearly seventies the best known contemporary climbers were possibly Brown,Bonington and Crew.
Anonymous 15 Jul 2005
In reply to John2:
> (In reply to ste) I heard somewhere that he now regards his climbing years as a waste of time,

I put this to Al Evans who knew his son quite well ( I think) and he refuted the notion.
 John2 15 Jul 2005
In reply to Anonymous: 'I put this to Al Evans who knew his son quite well ( I think)'

Let's face it, neither of us can quote an authoritative source on this one.

As for the career as a computer programmer mentioned earlier, he spent a term at Oxford studying maths before leaving since he did not fit in. Some time later he lived in London, where he worked for a while as a computer programmer.
OP ste 15 Jul 2005
In reply to John2: and the minister bit?
 John2 15 Jul 2005
In reply to ste: First I've heard of it, but I'm not omniscient.
 nigel baker 16 Jul 2005
In reply to ste: I have a prized copy of Rock Climbing in Action in Snowdonia which features a lot of pictures of Pete. As a youth I was in total awe of those great pictures, especially a small one tucked away..Pete doing Erosion Groove direct...complete with peg hammer!!Now I realise that to put across that 'sweaty' palm photograph takes a great climber(Pete Crew) and a great photographer(John Cleare) and a great situation (Erosion groove Direct)Where ever you are Pete it was all inspirational!
john alcock at home 17 Jul 2005
In reply to nigel baker:
I have one of the more extensive climbing book collections around and there are only three books I'd love to own which I don't:
1. Rock Climbers in Action in Snowdonia
2. Fifty Classic Climbs of North America
3. The Last Blue Mountain (some "friend" has "borrowed" my copy but I can't remember who).
Anyone want to sell?
I do have two copies of my all-time favourite climbing book: "Let's Go Climbing" by Colin Kirkus if anyone is interested in a swop.

To me RCAS revolutionized climbing photography and the images are utterly iconic.
 MikeTS 17 Jul 2005

> 3. The Last Blue Mountain (some "friend" has "borrowed" my copy but I can't remember who).
> Anyone want to sell?
>
I spent some years looking for a copy. Then I thoght of Ammazon: and bought one from the US. You should find several second hand for sale at reasonable price & consition

Rob Exile Ward 17 Jul 2005
In reply to john alcock at home: Rock Climbers in Action in Snowdonia - in my recollection (I'm after a copy too) a serious contender for the best, most inspirational rock climbing book ever. (Just the memory still inspres after 35 years.)

You don't want to know that I bought 5 copies of 50 climbs in the US at a cheap book shop a few years ago and sold 4 copies to mates - not sure that they ever appreciated what they'd got...
 sutty 17 Jul 2005

Will have a look for LBM in one of the local bookshops for you, I think they had it in a month ago.
 Greenbanks 17 Jul 2005
In reply to nigel baker:

<Where ever you are Pete it was all inspirational! >

Yeah. Lovely boy Crew. Arrow climber etc etc
 Simon Caldwell 18 Jul 2005
> 1. Rock Climbers in Action in Snowdonia

There's a copy here, if you're feeling flush:
http://www.cheedale.co.uk/BookImage1.html

> 2. Fifty Classic Climbs of North America

Is that valuable then? In that case I'd better look after my copy
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to John2)
> [...]
>
> I put this to Al Evans who knew his son quite well ( I think) and he refuted the notion.

One thing I do know is that he got rid of his entire(?) collection of guidebooks and climbing books. They were all for sale at Grant Jarvis's about a 10-15 years ago.
john alcock at home 18 Jul 2005
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
Wow that is expensive.
I picked up my second copy of Let's Go Climbing in a book shop in the Wye Valley the other day for £8, when I've usually seen it on sale for more than £50.
When I was a teenager in Glasgow climbing with the Lomond MC we always used to harass terrified leaders with calls along the lines of "Can I have you boots, ice axe etc?".
I guess I need to identify an old boy with a copy of RCAS and follow them around until they offer me their book in return for a life-saving top rope.
 Howard J 18 Jul 2005

RCAS was my inspiration when I was a kid, I had it on more or less permanent loan from my local library (along with Joe Brown's "The Hard Years" and Bonington's "I chose to climb").

There are several websearch engines for second-hand books eg http://www.abebooks.com/ and most of these will allow you to post an interest and be emailed by a bookseller when they get a copy in. I managed to get hold of a copy of RCAS this way, and for a lot less than the one advertised (which appears to be in exceptional condition)
In reply to Howard J:
Many thanks. I shall keep trying.
 Rob Exile Ward 18 Jul 2005
In reply to Howard J: I think all of us of a certain age are chasing the same books that inspired our youths... As well as RCAS I'v long been after a copy of High Peak.
 Postmanpat 18 Jul 2005
In reply to Howard J:
> (In reply to john alcock at home)
>
> RCAS was my inspiration when I was a kid, I had it on more or less permanent loan from my local library (along with Joe Brown's "The Hard Years" and Bonington's "I chose to climb").
>
>
Me too (plus "Rope Boy") ! I even went back there recently to see if they still had their copy of RCAS .Long gone of course . I bet it got thrown in the waste bin
 Rob Exile Ward 18 Jul 2005
In reply to Postmanpat: I've still got mags with two reviews of Rope Boy - Mountain (and I'm summarising) 'Gray has lost the plot', Rocktalk/Nat Allen 'What a damned good book it is!'
 Postmanpat 18 Jul 2005
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
Who used the line , apropos of something going on at the BMC "Has Dennis Gray read Ropeboy ?" Ken Wilson maybe ?
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
My other inspirations as a kid were:
The White Spider
Always A Little Further
One Man's Mountains
Hard Rock
Extreme Rock

but I still think Let's Go Climbing has more to say about the naive, exhuberant joy of the sport than any other book and I always followed Kirkus's advice on the importance of training your parents.
In reply to Howard J:
>
> There are several websearch engines for second-hand books eg http://www.abebooks.com/ and most of these will allow you to post an interest and be emailed by a bookseller when they get a copy in.

I've just looked on the site. They have two copies. The cheapest in £123. I guess I could regard it as an investment!
 Howard J 18 Jul 2005

Keep looking. The ones currently on offer all seem to be collectors items - first editions, good dust jackets etc. If you're patient, with luck you'll find one which isn't so "collectable". Mine's lacking a dustjacket and I don't know about the edition - it's the content I'm interested in. It cost me £25 - I thought it pricey at the time but looks like I might have got a bargain
 Postmanpat 18 Jul 2005
John Disley " Tackle Climbing this Way " 7s 6d .
Mainly about hill walking but full of cheery advice ("Rubber soles : very good for walking and climbing asepcially on hard surfaces. Not safe for climbing on wet rock"). I even made my own rucksac based on his DIY design and bloody uncomfortable it was too .
 Doug 19 Jul 2005
In reply to Postmanpat:
Is that the one with a chapter on hitchhiking ? - had that, plus Blackshaw on near permanent loan from the local library when about 14-15

Would love a copy of Rockclimbers in Action, only ever seen it in a library, maybe we should have another thread on classic books - there are a few other I'd like to get

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...