UKC

Jetboil stoves - any good?!?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MG83 16 Jul 2005
I'm thinking about buying a Jetboil stove but I want to know what people think of them...has anyone got any experience of them? Are they any good, have they got any annoying quirks etc etc?

I already have a Primus omnifuel but want one of these for bivies and wild camping. Cheers folks.
 Paul at work 16 Jul 2005
In reply to MG83:

i have one, and i think that they are really great. I still haven't used it as much as i would like.
Wes 16 Jul 2005
In reply to MG83: Don't own one myself, but i have used one: nice bits of kit-fast boiling. Not as fantastic as alot of magazines would have you believe, yet they are worth a look.

It'd be good for what you are after
Profanisaurus Rex 16 Jul 2005
In reply to MG83:

Silly question , maybe - do you have to use the jetboil gas canisters? I don't recall having seen other makes of canisters small enough to fit inside (as it's the same diameter as a Nalgene bottle)
Wes 16 Jul 2005
In reply to MaxB: There are some small canisters on the market that should fit.
OP MG83 16 Jul 2005
In reply to MaxB: The Needlesports website saya the small Coleman canisters fit.

http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Hi_Gear.html
Profanisaurus Rex 16 Jul 2005
In reply to MG83 and Wes:

Thanks! This looks liks very serious competition to the likes of MSR pocket rocket, etc....
Bill Ford-Smith 17 Jul 2005
In reply to Wes: Quite a few places got the boiling time wrong: the blurb gives a time to boil a cup of water, which everyone assumed meant the cup that comes with the stove (about half a litre). It actually meant the American formal measure of a 'Cup' i.e. half that volume.

Hence the boiling time quoted in lots of places was half what it should have been. It's still pretty fast though...
Maggot 17 Jul 2005
In reply to MG83: are they completely useless when it comes to things other than water though?

Like beans for example. I guess Super Noodles would be OK.
OP MG83 17 Jul 2005
In reply to Maggot: Yeah I've heard that they're only really good for dehydrated stuff. Still that'd be fine for what I want it for I guess...
miltenpoint 18 Jul 2005
In reply to MG83: Isn't the whole jetboil concept based around the use of 100g canisters ? If you're out for a week or more, thats an expensive way to burn gas. At least with pocket rocket types, any are compatible and the 250g stores nicely in the msr kettle.

I like the better windproofing qualities of the jetboil and thats the only reason I'd switch but how windproof are they ? Could you brew up on a windy summit ?
 TRJ 18 Jul 2005
In reply to MG83: I bought a JetBoil when they first arrived in the UK, with high hopes. I have to say that I'm a bit underwhelmed by the whole experience. As a previous poster mentioned, boiling times for a 'cup' of water have been misreported in the shops/press. Like all gas stoves, performance also suffers when the temperature drops. One thing I do like, though, is the self-contained design, which fits perfectly in the side bellows pocket of a typical weekend sack. Overall, it's a nice piece of design but I don't think it'll change the world. On the subject of gas canisters, by the way - of course you can use larger sizes, but only the baby versions will store inside the stove, as intended.
 TRJ 18 Jul 2005
In reply to MG83: Further to my earlier message, I'd recommend you buy a decent gas stove instead. The new Primus Gravity is the nuts. It's pretty windproof by gas standards, and more stable/lighter/much more flexible than the Jetboil
 Jenny C 18 Jul 2005
I bought my Jetboil to use as a travel kettle and it works perfectly. The mug holds enough water for two standard sized mugs and takes about 4 mins to boil the water, which then keeps warm for ages. As said above standard Coleman fuel canisters work in them, but only the smallest will fit inside the cup.

The stove is stable and can be moved whilst heating without undue risk of spillage/burns. With a bit of common sense you can also hang the stove, infact I believe a hanging kit may be available at some point.

Unless (like my boyfriend) you are a total moron and try to heat beans at full blast, the adjustable flame should allow you to maintain a simmering temperature. I have also seen on their website a converter so you can use it with your normal pans, you do loose the heat exchanger but then can add fried bacon to your menu.
Simon Wells 18 Jul 2005
In reply to MG83:

Currently using the Optimus Crux, as it has a "flat head" that evening spreads the flames so simmering, frying etc excellent, something a lot of micro stoves don't do, they just char the centre often pot!

It neatly fits into the curved base of a 250g canister. If used sensibly (ie not at full blast) it'll do 2 people for 12 days at 2400 metres. That’s three brews a day, pancakes as comfort food in the evening and a dehydrated meal with smash etc

Haven’t used the jet boil but the weight, cartridge problem and inability to easily make pancakes turned me off!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...