UKC

Rubbish Krabs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
richpaulcol 19 Jul 2005
Just got back from via ferratering in the dolomites, me and my mate bought 4 Camp Adventurer Auto Locking Carabiners for the via ferrate systems we made. After 7 mountain days 3 of the 4 carabiners have gates which no longer come even close to locking or even close any more. Seems the springs in the gates have gone. Just thought i'd let people know, the adventurer krabs are the ones with the plastic thumb gate thing.

Richard
roblo 19 Jul 2005
In reply to richpaulcol:

buy the petzl ones for a bit more, be safe and not waste your money
 NIGBEE 19 Jul 2005
In reply to roblo:
>
>
> buy the petzl ones for a bit more, be safe and not waste your money

That’s a very easy thing to say in hindsight the karabiners were presumably bought from a normal gear shop and they are certainly a reputable make, other than a personal recommendation or warning (which the o.p. is giving here) you often have to just trust that gear is up to the job

If they had been bought in the UK I would take them back for a refund

To richpaulcol

Are you sure that they are not just “gritted up” ? the Dolomites can be a very dry dusty place, give them a good clean and a light oil see if that helps

kai2 19 Jul 2005
In reply to richpaulcol: I would EMAIL camp and explain the situation. They might give you a voucher or refund or somethink.
 nz Cragrat 19 Jul 2005
In reply to kai2:

But then you might get stuck with some more.

I once had a bad experience with some awfully useless bug repellent that I sent back to the manufacturer and complained about. They sent me some more !! Duh.
styman 19 Jul 2005
That’s a very easy thing to say in hindsight the karabiners were presumably bought from a normal gear shop and they are certainly a reputable make,

Camp have always made gear to a price. THey have never been the quality of Petzl, Black Diamond or DMM. You get what you pay for.
 danm 19 Jul 2005
In reply to nz Cragrat: What did you expect? If you'd sent it back to where you'd bought it, they could have offered a refund or an alternative. The manufacturer meanwhile, who by the way haven't got a penny of your cash, would be limited to give you a replacement. Which is more than you're entitled to.
 sutty 20 Jul 2005
In reply to danm:

Bit of crap thinking there. If you buy something and it does not work you are entitled to your money back, not vouchers or replacement. Would you like a replacement rope to replace the one your mate died on when it broke? Very unlikely, more likely to want at least your money back and an investigation on why it did not perform correctly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...