UKC

Corporate Route Naming

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Fryer 22 Jul 2005
I wonder how much large corporations would pay you to name a new route after them. The advertising would last indefinitely, in every route book covering the area. I wonder how much they would pay to have a new crag named after them.

Or has it been done already? Nabisco Wall in Yosemite? And theres a route called Pepsi or something at Crookrise.

Or how about sponsoring crags? "Stanage, sponsored by La Sportiva"
 JDDD 22 Jul 2005
In reply to Chris Fryer: Companies were falling over themselves to do this sort of thing in the 20's and 30's until they discovered that once a consumer product enters the language, it is no longer protected by copyright. Hence the reason that you can buy lots of brands called Coke or Cola. They were once owned by Coca Cola the drinks manufacturer but not any more!
 Chris the Tall 22 Jul 2005
In reply to Jon Dittman:
Didn't Bill Birkett call a route "Asolo" after being sponspored by them?
OP Chris Fryer 22 Jul 2005
In reply to Chris the Tall: I was looking at The Dove Crag pdf on climbonline the other day, and wondered about that, hence the question.
 nniff 22 Jul 2005
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to Jon Dittman)
> Didn't Bill Birkett call a route "Asolo" after being sponspored by them?

Yes he did - wasn't popular at the time. And clearly didn't work, because as soon as I saw this thread I was thinking 'Didn't Bill Birkett call a route "Scarpa" after being sponspored by them?'
 nniff 22 Jul 2005
In reply to Chris Fryer:

The other way round is to name a company after a famous route/area, eg Point Five (what happened to them), Patagonia, Troll etc. Just a matter of time before we get TPS E0 Ltd appears - look at the column inches they would get.
psd 22 Jul 2005
In reply to Jon Dittman:
> Hence the reason that you can buy lots of brands called Coke or Cola.

Erm, 'Coke' is still a trademark, actually. 'Cola' isn't though - was it ever actually protected? Hoover apparently have kittens everytime a journalist uses it as a verb, and Private Eye had a snotty letter not too long ago about 'gratuitous' use of the word 'portakabin'. They retaliated by titling every letter with 'Portakabin'...
epik 22 Jul 2005
In reply to Chris Fryer:

pretty sure there is a mobitel route on (possibly) Nuptse (can never remember) put up by Tomaz Humar who just happens to be sponsored by mobitel. mobitel are the slovenian mobile phone people and i think Tomaz gets suitable sponsorship money from them

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...