UKC

Whats "Awesome Walls" like?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
unscriptable 18 Aug 2005
Me being someone who feels intimidated by most people, have been invited to get the train down to scouseland to show off my non existent climbing skills at the "Awesome Walls" climbing centre.. so whats it like?
Based on:
Amount of chavs usually there.
Friendliness of people + staff there.
What does it smell like?
Is it for amazing climbers?
Is it usually busy?
Hotbad Peteel 18 Aug 2005
In reply to unscriptable:

better than average. A few chavs in instructed groups. Might be a few chavs outside. Theres a big range of grades. Some of the leadings nails, some of its really easy. Loads of topropes and plenty of bouldering. The traversing wall downstairs is good.
p
ceri 18 Aug 2005

> Amount of chavs usually there.
depends when you go
> Friendliness of people + staff there.
seem nice to me, always chat to someone, got to know some fairly well.
> What does it smell like?
erm... a climbing wall??? sometimes molasses in the car park, if the wind is right!
> Is it for amazing climbers?
yes. the 8as on the wave wall are rather hard. however, the F4s on the lead walls, and english 3s on the top rope walls are fairly easy.
> Is it usually busy?
again, depends when you go. a wet thursday night - very busy. a sunny friday night- empty once kids club have gone home.
 Swirly 18 Aug 2005
> Me being someone who feels intimidated by most people, have been invited to get the train down to scouseland to show off my non existent climbing skills at the "Awesome Walls" climbing centre.. so whats it like?

Awesome, no really it's a great wall and relatively cheap.

> Amount of chavs usually there.

A couple but they aren't normally a problem, those that are tend to get chucked out PDQ.
> Friendliness of people + staff there.

All are really friendly, everyone tends to chat, quite often I don't bother going down with a partner and always find someone to climb/boulder with.

> What does it smell like?

lol are you Fishcake in disguise? It hasn't smelt bad for ages now.

> Is it for amazing climbers?
Yes and complete beginners and everyone in between.

> Is it usually busy?

Can be but not if the weathers good cos everyone will be at pex.

Alan Stark 20 Aug 2005
In reply to Swirly:

The outside bog could do with some major improvement -- I'm sure it infringes some regulation for commercial premises. I've been to better portaloos on building sites!

If it's been improved or replaced since my last visit several months ago I apologise unreservedly.

Swirly 20 Aug 2005
In reply to Alan Stark: They have indoor toilets and changing rooms now.
 Alan Stark 20 Aug 2005
In reply to Swirly:

That's a relief when you are in need of relief.

The mugs of tea are a generous size to complement the Awesome flapjack.
Wuckers 22 Aug 2005
Ok I suppose
Jamie monks 22 Aug 2005
In reply to unscriptable: Mid-afternoon on most days is usally nicely quiet (weekends excluded). Theres some amazing climbs there although at peak times the artificial pinnacle can get a little greasy, defninately worth a visit (or several) though!
Jamie monks 22 Aug 2005
In reply to Alan Stark: Also, I'll back alan up with the flapjacks, best I've ever had and well in order with a brew half way through a heavy session!
 Alan Stark 22 Aug 2005
In reply to Jamie monks:

Not as good as the Flapjack or Rock Buns used to be at the High Lodore Farm barn below Shepherds when it first opened.

I swear there were times when the only reason my 9 year old son could be persuaded to go climbing was if I bribed him with a rock bun. He'd be looking for one as soon as we'd finished a route!
 Liam M 22 Aug 2005
In reply to ceri: Oh so the top roped stuff is supposed to be english grading - no wonder they seemed a bit harder than I expected when I was there a few weeks ago..

To the op: I'd say it was one of the best walls around the north west (or at least of those I've been to) and seems friendly enough, and the route setting often seems quite good.

I've never found it particularly busy, but have generally only used it on wet weekends. And the pinnacle is quite good as far as indoor featured stuff goes.
 climbingpixie 16 Sep 2005
In reply to unscriptable: The chocolate chip and banana muffins alone make it worthwhile!

It's a great wall with good snacks, sparkling clean toilets & now featuring a hot shower!

There will be plenty for you to do no matter what grade you are climbing at really with easy to tricky top rope routes and likewise on the lead walls.

The bouldering is well worth checking out with about 5 different areas (including the crypt downstairs which also has some good stamina building traverses)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...