UKC

Anyone done the Lead Climbing Course at PYB?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 'Hilda' 30 Aug 2005
What's it like? Thought I'd ask as I off on their lead climbing course soon.

phatlad 30 Aug 2005
In reply to 'Hilda':
never done it but used to know some of the guys that taught.
Instructors are good and if you're safe, and clear and concise in any questions they'll be good as gold. You'll have a ball and learn a lot. enjoy
OP 'Hilda' 30 Aug 2005
In reply to phatlad: Thanks for that.

Any one else ...
rich 30 Aug 2005
In reply to 'Hilda': i did the weekend one - it was very good
rich 30 Aug 2005
In reply to rich: or do you mean 'what happens'?
Wingman@work 30 Aug 2005
In reply to 'Hilda':

The week or the weekend one?

The week one is very very good - I was very impressed having never climbed outside before I was leading multpitch v diffs/S by the end of the week.

(not much improvement since then though )
OP 'Hilda' 30 Aug 2005
In reply to rich: I'm doing the weekend one too - what did you do?
Wingman@work 30 Aug 2005
In reply to 'Hilda':

er, what do you mean what did you do?

You go climbing - you learn about placements - you learn about belays. Then you transfer that knowledge to climbing a route....
rich 30 Aug 2005
In reply to Wingman@work: indeed - and at the start you get paired off with another student of similar ability/age/aspiration or whatever (bear this in mind when they ask you what they've done before - don't be modest or you might get someone that 'holds you back' - some of the pairs in the weekend i was there never got to lead anything although to be fair there was a lot of rain)
OP 'Hilda' 30 Aug 2005
In reply to Wingman@work: ....you kidding right!

Where does my dog come into it?
Wingman@work 30 Aug 2005
In reply to 'Hilda':

does your dog have a harness?
OP 'Hilda' 30 Aug 2005
In reply to Wingman@work: Yes - with a lead
Wingman@work 30 Aug 2005
In reply to 'Hilda':

well you'll just have to haul it up the crag after you then......
 Yanchik 30 Aug 2005
In reply to 'Hilda':

I did it about four years ago.

The reason I did it was very clear. I had learnt a lot about various bits of climbing from mates, books, lots of time on walls, puzzling it out myself, etc. However, I felt there was a risk I'd left some small but important thing out. I felt the PyB course would solve this, give me a clue as to the relative importance of each bit of knowledge I'd gained, and give me a bit of calibration as to where I was skill-wise.

It was completely successful at doing that, so I was happy.

It had its good points;
- these guys know the local area, so unless it's raining hard all over north wales for two days solid, you will get some outdoor leading done
- heard John Dunne (Donne ? you know who I mean) speak on the Saturday
- accommodation/bar/atmosphere fairly luxurious

It had its less good points;
- I was used to taking big whippers on indoor walls, so the "indoor fall practice" was a bit of a joke for me
- typically for a wall climber I was climbing high technical grades and found the actual leads we did a bit easy
- it isn't cheap; it might be cost-effective, that's your judgement

Happy in my consolidated knowledge, I then proceeded to go and make all the exciting mistakes that early trad leaders make. It was a laugh. I'm still alive.

Y
OP 'Hilda' 30 Aug 2005
In reply to Yanchik:

Thanks for that - really helpful info.

Indoor fall practice will be good for me as I haven't actually taken any lead falls yet (indoors or on the couple of sport leads that I've done so far).

idiotproof 30 Aug 2005
In reply to 'Hilda':

I'm doing the improve your leading course on the 17/18th of september
 alisonk 30 Aug 2005
In reply to 'Hilda':
I did the moving outdoors course (Touching Stone) at the beginning of the summer for a week. There were only 4 of us on the course so by Wed we had to engineer changing partners as they weren't working, had to persuade the instructors a bit - so if you are not getting on with your partner or you feel they are holding you back do not be afraid to say.

The instructors were excellent, give you lots of confidence and having them hanging around next to you checking placements and making suggestions. It was raining every morning apart from the last day and they still found dry rock for us - Holyhead Mountain then Tremadog. Covered setting up belays at the beginning of the week which also started to teach gear placing, then was leading by Wed afternoon.
Rosie A 30 Aug 2005
In reply to 'Hilda': I did the weekend course about a month ago. It was just what I needed. The student:teacher ratio is 2:1, and they tailor the course to your needs. I needed to work on gear placement and setting up belays. The instructior climbed beside us and watched us place gear, then re-place it when necessary. We also did some rescue techniques and escaping from the system. I'm now far more confident about leading.

ps Be prepared to share a room though... I wasn't expecting that and had no pjs! Met some good committed climbers tho.
OP 'Hilda' 31 Aug 2005
In reply to Rosie A: Thanks for that - sounds just what I need - I'm on the course with my other half, so hopefully I'll get a room with him (I don't own any PJ's!!)
In reply to 'Hilda':

I did the 'Touching Stone week' a couple of years back and the staff I had all week were great, taking time to help you learn the ropes and get a few leads in by the end of the week!

The weather though was fantastic all week long and we got to climb in several places including Anglesey and the Ogwen valley..etc

I wasn't too concerned with how hard a grade we were leading as the course was more aimed at teaching good gear placement and ropework skills so you won't kill yourself when out on your own
Rosie A 31 Aug 2005
In reply to 'Hilda': Good luck! Let us know how you get on...
 SouthernSteve 01 Sep 2005
In reply to 'Hilda':

This course can depend a little on the capabilities of the person with you as its a 2:1 ratio. If you are unlucky you may be on a course with someone who is not sure of how to tie into a harness and seems to have no desire to climb independently after the course.

Having said that I know other people who have done this course and all have had a great time and it has definitely set them up as much safer/knowledgeable climbers.The instructors at PYB are difficult to fault and regardless of your level they will be able to push you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...