UKC

Smartwool long sleeve t

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DMR 02 Sep 2005
Hello fellow gear freaks,

I am currently toying with the idea of investing in one of these long sleeved wool jobbies, with a view towards the long hard winter ahead (yeah right...), and wondered if any of you kind folks had any opinions on the tricky question of crew neck or zip neck.
I know personal preferences will vary, but does anyone have specific comment on the Smartwool versions of each style?
Maybe Dave Hunter from R+R will drop by and proclaim... please, Dave?
(By the way - I am already sold on merino as an owner of Icebreaker stuff so don't try and persuade me to add to my smelly helly collection!!)

Muchos grassyarse,
D.
 Jamiemcp 04 Sep 2005
In reply to DMR: iv gotthe crew neck and it is the bees kness, dogs bolox all roled in to one, I think though i will get the zip neck one for this winter though might keep the draft out a bit better
djviper 04 Sep 2005
In reply to DMR: a motor cycle mag did a test on thermal undies and the best warmth for money was M+S merino wool thermals worth a look mate
 James Edwards 04 Sep 2005
In reply to djviper:
Ive used lots of differetn brands of merino tops and bottoms and lots of different types of synthetic tops. I don't think that merino is as good as its cracked up to be. There is ALOT of clever marketing out there from the likes of icebreaker etc. The only advantage for me is that i can wear it on a multiday ski tour etc where i'm going to meet and greet lots of folk and so to be socialble i use merno.
However latley ive gone back to paramo thermals. This works far far better in my opinion. The merino holds more sweat that synthetic and chills me down when i stop. Have a look at the macpac merino and synthetic mix. This is very good too and does not wear out in an instant as some of the icebreaker stuff does when its used in the hils (rather than the pub etc)

Don't be a sheep and believe all the hype. Only sheep wear wool.

James e
dennis may 04 Sep 2005
In reply to DMR: Look at www.howies.co.uk

They do superb Merino gear AND they have a sale on at present. The NBL stuff is the mutts nuts.
djviper 04 Sep 2005
In reply to James Edwards: ive tried merino synthetic and a hybrid mix whilst skiing in norway at temps down to -20 and can honestly say that the merino was by far the best, and as you say you dont stink in them!
Dave Hunter, Rock + Run 04 Sep 2005
In reply to DMR:

Zip neck every time for winter. In fact zip neck every time I'd say (but lots of folk like crews in summer).

I just don't buy this 'poly/wool hybrid is the best of both worlds' argument. Having used a Macpac base layer reasonably often I like it (as I like Capilene). But it is not as good as pure merino.

Hybrids cut down on the amount of merino used, which I suspect cuts cost. Or maybe I'm just a terrible cynic.

m0unt41n 04 Sep 2005
In reply to DMR: The Karrimor Dry-X X-Static zip T are great, but cant buy them now. The hype about the silver thread meant that they wicked really well, worked in hot and cold, really is true. Also didnt pong, despite wearing them 24hrs for days on trek. The Mammut Kula seems a good alternative, same tight fitting so they wick well, very soft material. Havent had a chance to see if their claim of antimicrobial is true.
DMR 05 Sep 2005
In reply to DMR: Thanks for your views folks.

After experimenting with various brands and fabrics, I have decided that merino offers the best all round solution for me in terms of thermal properties, wicking and general comfort (not to mention odour control...).

On balance, it would appear that a zip neck offers a decent compromise between extra ventilation (zip down) and draft exclusion (zip up) as conditions dictate.

I suppose my next question is - does the versatility of a zip really justify an extra £20 on the price compared to the crew neck? Seems like a hefty sum - or am I missing something?

Thanks again,
D.
Dave Hunter, Rock + Run 05 Sep 2005
In reply to DMR:
> (In reply to DMR) Thanks for your views folks.
>
>
>
> I suppose my next question is - does the versatility of a zip really justify an extra £20 on the price compared to the crew neck?

Yes. Imnsho of course.

Seems like a hefty sum - or am I missing something?

>
>

I think it's the extra workmanship involved.
DMR 05 Sep 2005
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run:

Thought it might be something along those lines. Cheers Dave.

D.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...