Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Brutal cinematic dust-ups

Kenny - on 05 Sep 2005
Roll up, roll up. Lord Kenny has gone a bit pugilistic is wondering what the most brutal one-on-one scraps are that you've seen in films. I'm feeling that most martial arts are exempt cos they're often graceful and balletic and so precisely choregraphed (none for the worse for that), but perhaps someone can educate me. I'm also shying away from sporting fights i.e. good boxing scenes.

I'm thinking more of dirty, wince-inducing stuff like:
Ed Harris and Michael Biehn in The Abyss (capped off with the greatest sucker-punch in all cinematic history courtesy of Leo Burmester)
Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine in Emperor of the North
Sean Connery and Robert Shaw in From Russia With Love
Charles Bronson's last two fights in Hard Times (aka The Streetfighter)

Breaking my own rule - the final match in The California Dolls (aka All The Marbles - lovely and neglected comedy about a female tag-team wrestling duo and their shifty manager played by Peter Falk. Yes they are fit in an early-1980s way. Especially Vicki Frederick. Absolute catfight, lasts about 30 minutes - the ultimate guilty pleasure?)

Can't remember if there's anything in Runaway Train, the whole film's pretty brutal really.

Possibly doesn't count as they are robots so it doesn't really matter, but Arnie and Kristanna Loken slugging it out in Terminator 3 was pretty eye-popping.

I'm told Charlton Heston and Gregory Peck slug it out amazingly in The Big Country but I haven't seen it.
Peck and Mitchum in the original Cape Fear bring it on in fine style though.
Must be a load more good ones in Westerns (though massive bar room brawls don't count, I just want one-on-ones)
er
David Carradine vs James Remar in The Long Riders (the stocking knife-fight)

All inspired by watching The Cave which stars Cole Hauser, I dimly recall he had a pretty good scrap with Mr Potato Head aka Vin Diesel in the otherwise appalling Pitch Black

I'll leave it there. What else ya got?
... not showing 47 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums