UKC

Krabs for Cams

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TRJ 09 Sep 2005
Assuming the taped sling is the weakest link in a cam placement (or perhaps the placement itself given my limited skills), is there any point equipping cams with particularly strong snapgate krabs?
 Oli 09 Sep 2005
In reply to TRJ: Eh? Dynema slings (when stitched) as found on cams (at least when new) are usually rated to 22KN which is far from being the weakest part of a cam.

I would be surprised if you broke a cam in 'normal' conditions of use.
OP TRJ 09 Sep 2005
In reply to TRJ: OK, let me rephrase, and sorry if I misunderstand. In any situation using a sling, cam or otherwise, is there any point using a krab that's rated stronger than the relevant sling? I know we're talking a few kN here and there, but the thought just struck me earlier and I'm curious.
 Oli 09 Sep 2005
In reply to TRJ:
> (In reply to TRJ) In any situation using a sling, cam >or otherwise, is there any point using a krab that's >rated stronger than the relevant sling?

What is the point in not using a full strength krab?
JRobertson 09 Sep 2005
In reply to TRJ: I'd have thought total weight more relevant than strength
 Ridge 09 Sep 2005
In reply to TRJ:

As Oli said, a dyneema sling is rated at 22kN; a krab, depending on make, is about 24kN, which isn't a massively higher rating. If a krab ends up with it's gate open through being badly positioned, or cross loaded this drops dramatically. Therefore in these conditions the krab is the weakest link.
I'm just a bit concerned what you would use instead of a 'full strength' krab?
 Oli 09 Sep 2005
In reply to Ridge: Accessory 'biner of course!
 Oli 09 Sep 2005
In reply to TRJ: The rating on the sling of a cam (at least the wild country ones, is the rating for the whole cam, NOT the sling. The sling should still be 22KN
 GrahamD 09 Sep 2005
In reply to TRJ:

krabs have many failure modes, depending how they are loaded. Over an edge, with the gate levered open, they are likely to be the weakest part of the system. Other than small wires, I've heard of (and in one case seen) more failed krabs than anything else.
JRobertson 09 Sep 2005
In reply to GrahamD:

On crucial gear placements tend to use a screw gate crab

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...