UKC

Primus vs. MSR

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ben O'Connell 12 Sep 2005
The time has come to buy a shiny multi fuel stove.

Have used a Dragonfly, but I sort of resent the fact it's really expensive and doesn't come fully equiped (i.e. which wind shield etc).

Has anyone one used/own the Omnifuel? It appears better value (from Tower Ridge/Planet Fear). Also looks good...

All commets gratefully received.
 gwilym 12 Sep 2005
In reply to Ben O'Connell:

> Have used a Dragonfly, but I sort of resent the fact it's really expensive and doesn't come fully equiped (i.e. which wind shield etc).

I certainly got a windshield with mine, that was a couple of years ago though
jimtheape 12 Sep 2005

ive got the primus omnifuel. i was "reliably" told that it was perfectly adjustable, but im not convinced, only once have i managed to get it low. practice needed methinks.
but bugger me, can it boil water fast.

ive only used petrol and white gas. i cant realy se a difference, hardly produces any soot.

the pump is better than msr, and it comes with a fuel bottle, but im struggling to find another bigger bottle.

it also takes gas cartridges, which msr does not, big advantage imo for when im feeling lazy.

it comes with windsheild etc, and good wee tool.

its also nice and simple and solid, no moving parts like these weird msr jets. legs fold well

i could go on all day, but i wont.
 Paddy Duncan 12 Sep 2005
In reply to Ben O'Connell: I Have an Omnifuel, recently tested on Elbrus. Totally agree with above re simmering (extremely difficult to get low). BUT, we would have been buggered if we couldn't use Propane, White Gas and Diesel.
Absolutely fantastic. I only see one advantage to the MSR, easier zet cleaning (shake). PS if you want soot, burn Diesel.
 Bob Hughes 12 Sep 2005
In reply to Ben O'Connell: I've got the multi fuel. Not sure if that's different or the same. anyway, I'm bloody impressed. super fast and a doddle to use. although to be fair I've never used the MSR. I'm really only comparing it with my pocket gas stove and my dad's 30 year-old primus.

still, I like it a lot.
Cheers,

The jury is still out. Might stick with what I know, although the Primus looks good and is cheaper...
 richard kirby 12 Sep 2005
In reply to Ben O'Connell: I was in same boat last year and replaced with the omnifuel/primus.......after 10 weeks use I'm convinced it was the correct move. It does still need a good clean after susutained use but the build quality and flexibility....gas or a liquid fuel wins me over. As said it boils super fast too.
In reply to richard kirby: Thanks Richard. Can you remember where you got yours/price etc?

I do like the gas set up, although the threat of cleaning sounds ominous...
 Jiffy 12 Sep 2005

I've got an Omnifuel but I've not used it much. I've not tried to simmer with it but I think the manual said something about using a combination of the valve on the pump and the valve on the stove. Using the two together should make it easier to control.
 nniff 12 Sep 2005

Omnifuel running on unleaded works fine. Simmer is good enough for preparing home made spag bol and curry and rice. Best thing is the 'run dry' fuel line - no dripping pipes to pack away.
jimtheape 12 Sep 2005
In reply to nniff:
> (In reply to Ben O'Connell)
>
> Omnifuel running on unleaded works fine. Simmer is good enough for preparing home made spag bol and curry and rice.

any tips? one of my pans still has a black circle of rice welded onto it.

although maybe its to do with using trangia pans - which feel like their made of tinfoil.

nniff 12 Sep 2005
In reply to jimtheape:

Dangerous ground of teaching to suck eggs here, but you did ask. For rice and pasta, one fair sized pot with enough water to keep things moving. And a non-stick frying pan used as a saucepan, hence enough space to keep things move stuff around and dissipate heat more widely. The pots I use are thicker than Trangia, but have done me for years.

I've had and used both. The only one I now have is the omni as it is better in most ways. I've never had a problem simmering, but you do need the full windshield up otherwise it'll blow out. Since there's a valve on the (metal) pump and the stove you can control it easily.

I've only ever had to clean it after using diesel, and it's not too taxing. The tool is better.
jimtheape 12 Sep 2005
In reply to nniff:

more looking for how the bejesus you get the stove down, as i (and others by the look of it) hav trouble stopping stuff being cremated.
i do know how to cook rice, thats not what the trouble is.
 sutty 13 Sep 2005
In reply to jimtheape:

LOL, that is some Irish saying there yer maun.

>
more looking for how the bejesus you get the stove down
 chiz 13 Sep 2005
In reply to nniff:
> (In reply to Ben O'Connell)
>
> Omnifuel ...Best thing is the 'run dry' fuel line - no dripping pipes to pack away.

havent used an omnifuel, have Dragonfly that I always take for multi-day stuff. Usually take pocket rocket as well for best of both worlds as its only ?28g and perfect for one night bivvis etc
The Dragonfly doesnt run dry automatically, but if you turn the valve on the pump off (agree metal pump would be better), you can run it dry to avoid getting fuel drips -just remember to turn the jet valve off after!

Petzl 13 Sep 2005
In reply to jimtheape

> the pump is better than msr, and it comes with a fuel bottle, but im struggling to find another bigger bottle.

You can use the SIGG fuel bottles - they have the same size thread.

MSR bottles won't work, as they have a narrower thread.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...