UKC

Rochdale or Manchester Climbing Centre Tomorrow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 freerangecat 25 Sep 2005
Is anyone climbing in Manchester tomorrow night and doesn't mind me tagging along? Or do you know if this ladies social climbing thing at the Manchester centre more popular now than when I tried a couple of months ago?

Thanks
Cat
OP freerangecat 25 Sep 2005
In reply to freerangecat:
Bump
OP freerangecat 26 Sep 2005
Looks like I'm going to be bouldering on my own then?!
Hotbad Peteel 26 Sep 2005

I might be there tonight if my shoulders start to move properly again. But I only boulder and have no intention of holding anyones ropes. I dont recall seeing that many ladies on a monday night though so dont hold your hopes up but say hi and enjoy the nice easy beginner friendly boulder problems
p
Pussycat 26 Sep 2005

Like i was at Rochdale on Thursday... Where were you all ??
In reply to Pussycat:
Whoops, I'm really sorry, we went on Wednesday last week as a one off. I'm pretty sure it'll be thursday this week though. You don't fancy tonight do you at all?

Cat
In reply to Hotbad Peteel:
I wouldn't dream of disturbing your bouldering session by asking you to hold a rope. I'm sure I'll be fine with the nice easy beginners bouldering.

Cat

well say hi to the achey looking guy with the dreads
p
In reply to freerangecat: Watch Pete (Hotbad). He's a dodgy Pex type. Not to be trusted!
In reply to Richard Bradley:

hmmm depends how high up you are
p
Pussycat 26 Sep 2005

Soz, cant do tonight, play badminton most Mondays. Can do Manchester tomorrow (Tuesday), will be there with my usual climbing partner. Also planning Rochdale again this Thurs if there any interest ?
In reply to Pussycat: Come along to rochdale on Thursday.'tother cat will be there.
Scarpara 26 Sep 2005
In reply to Pussycat: Go on and invite everyone, I'll climb with the scousers from MMC if you wanna mingle. Wot you doing on the company surfer at this time of night? You'll be late for badders! xxx
In reply to Pussycat:
I've just got back from Manchester Climbing Centre, so I think I'm climbed out until Thursday for now! Had a lot of fun though- was going to boulder, but got there to find the bouldering wall was closed, doh! Ended up climbing with a group of 3 I met, and managed two 6a+ climbs, so very happy (and very tired!)
I'll see you on Thursday though (definately this week!)

Cat
Pie Eyed 26 Sep 2005
In reply to freerangecat: Well done on the 6a+ climbs, Cat.

I can't make this Thursday (working 12.00 till 22.00), so I'm going to go to Rochdale on Friday daytime.

If anyone fancies joining me, let me know. If I'm on my own, I'll be bouldering, but if anyone fancies taking over the walls for a bit, I'm up for that as well.

Any time during the day that anyone can make, I can probably do. As long as I am back in Leigh by about 5.00pm, it's not a problem.

I am fairly new to climbing, but learned a lot from my last bouldering session with Cat, Richard et al. I can belay, and am more than happy to be checked and to take any suggestions/improvements on my technique.
Pussycat 27 Sep 2005
In reply to Scarpara:
> (In reply to Pussycat) Go on and invite everyone, I'll climb with the scousers from MMC if you wanna mingle. Wot you doing on the company surfer at this time of night? You'll be late for badders! xxx

Was already thru the second game when you posted your 'comment'. My partner climbs with the MMC on thurs hence my posting for new climbers. Was clocked out so its legit.
Hotbad Peteel 27 Sep 2005

I did the same, saw the bouldering was down so went looking for a house to buy instead. The new stuff looks fantastic though especially the volumes they're putting on the left hand side and give it a week the slab should be open (once the paints dry)
p
In reply to Hotbad Peteel: Slab bouldering?!?
Hotbad Peteel 27 Sep 2005

definitely. The bolt holes are just the right size
p
Sarah Crowe 27 Sep 2005

I've sent you an e-mail

out of interest, i've been regularly on mondays, and can't see any womens social going on, i asked at desk and they said it was an informal 'whoever turns up, go down and see'. I believe its location in manchester might be part of the problem, not a very sociable area.
OP freerangecat 29 Sep 2005
In reply to Pussycat and Richard:

Might not be climbing tonight, felt pretty crap all afternoon. I'll see how I feel after some food and a sit down though, as I would like to go.

Cat
Pussycat 29 Sep 2005

Not suprised after pumping 6a on Monday. Do you know if Richard definately going ?
In reply to Pussycat: He should be, I haven't heard otherwise. I'm still undecided...

Cat
In reply to Sarah Crowe:
> (In reply to freerangecat)
>
> I've sent you an e-mail

Didn't get it?

Cat
In reply to Pussycat: I will be there.
I won't. Feel dizzy and tired and crap .
Have fun.

Cat
In reply to freerangecat: Hope you feel better soon.

No other kitties at the wall either!
Pussycat 30 Sep 2005

Hi Richard. Didnt get your last night's half six posting until this morning, left work at six last night.

Catch up next week.

Daz
In reply to Pussycat: Thought it might have been too late. Wasn't t'interweb active yesterday afternoon. Wasn't very active last night either getting up exactly no new problems. Good exercise though...
OP freerangecat 30 Sep 2005
In reply to Richard Bradley and Pussycat:
I don't know, last Thursday Richard and I weren't there, last night Pussycat and I weren't there- maybe next week we'll all actually be there together!

Cat
Pussycat 30 Sep 2005
In reply to freerangecat and Richard Bradley :

Only able to comminicate weekday daytimes as system at home knackered and cant be bothered with hassle of fixing.

Yes. Planning to go Rochdale next thurs. Or Manchester on Tues. Also can do Wednesday next week for a change. Transport/lift offered if want to climb anywhere different to Rochdale/Manchester.

Daz
In reply to Pussycat: now i'm confussed!
erm yep, me too!
In reply to Pussycat:
Urm, can I ask, what does 'Daz' stand for please- I'm sitting here bored and trying to guess...

Sorry, they say curiosity killed the cat!

Cat
Pussycat 30 Sep 2005

Ho Ho. I can see your better at climbing than comedy !!
In reply to Pussycat:
It was an honest question!
Pussycat 30 Sep 2005

Basically, give me idea where you are climbing next week and I'm able to climb Tue, Weds and Thurs. Let me know by Monday pm if you can.
Pussycat 30 Sep 2005

Why you "freerange"... Like a chicken ?
In reply to Pussycat:
Hopefully thursday Rochdale, possibly another day for me depending on how I feel, but I'll let you know.

Looking forward to finally meeting you
Cat
In reply to Pussycat:
>
> Why you "freerange"... Like a chicken ?

Pretty much- was my hotmail address when I went to NZ on my gap year, thought it was pretty fitting considering I was escaping school and life problems and being set free to explore the world!
And the 'Cat' bit's from my name, just without the 'herine' on the end.

Cat

In reply to freerangecat: I believe the other cat could be of the tom variety. Was arguing with Jim on the way to the wall about it. I just thought 'he' posts in a male manner?
> I believe the other cat could be of the tom variety.

That was the conclusion I was beginning to come to, hence the question, as the only other 'Daz' I've ever known was a Darren. I thought he/she/it 'sounded' female, though now I'm not so sure, especially after the cagey answer earlier. I'll have to check out their other posts!

Go to
www.jagged-globe.co.uk/jg/forums/t.php?t=143227&v=1#2005647
and scroll down to 25th August. It's not absolutely conclusive of course, but it most likely confirms your hypothesis!

Cat
In reply to freerangecat: I believe I'm right. There is also the fact that, by law, only males and Dutch football teams can call themselves after cleaning products of any kind.
OP freerangecat 01 Oct 2005
I think your right too, though God knows what they'll make of all this when they get to work on Monday morning, I don't know whether they'll still be so keen to come along next Thursday! Sorry 'pussycat', it is all meant in good humour!

I managed to get into town this morning and purchase some footwear that fits at last- got help from the guy in Cotswolds trying on different ones, and managed to climb up their little wall thing on the tiny footholds, so I think they should be ok. Red Chili Spirits, with a 10% student discount. Can't wait to try them out properly!
In reply to freerangecat: I'm sure he will be fine! The RC's should help your climbing.
When are you going to make a decision about tomorrow do you think? Probably best if I give you my phone number, then you can give me a ring in the morning rather than relying on internet (my ntl thing has a nasty habit of giving up for a while every day or two, and it hasn't done it since about wednesday...) 07729490738

Cheers
Cat
In reply to freerangecat: You might want to delete that post now!
Too late (30 min limit I think?), but it doesn't matter, it's rarely switched on unless I'm expecting a call, and I'm getting a new one soon anyway.
In reply to freerangecat: Thonking of Bridestones or Widdop in West Yorkshire.
I thonk that sounds good.
Sorry.

What's the difference between the two?
In reply to freerangecat: About 3 miles as the crow flies. Both nice places to boulder.
Sounds good.
Could you email me then please if you've decided on a plan of action. McDonalds or Sainsburys or somewhere else?!

Thanks
Cat
PS Sorry about the paranoid email!
In reply to freerangecat: Will e-mail in the morning. Looks like we are heading North so could pick you up from Sainsburys. Just remember that even paranoids have enemies!
OK, thanks.
Pussycat 03 Oct 2005
In reply to Richard Bradley and freerangecat: Morning you guys, did you get out climbing yesterday.

Pussycat is a tom in the name of Darren, so yep you guessed right, all postings taken in good humour so no offence is taken. Sounds like you both teaming up well.
Pussycat 03 Oct 2005

BTW. Argueing about me ?? Tut, tut. Not even met me yet !!
In reply to Pussycat: No argument-I knew I was right!

I didn't get out yesterday but tuther cat was out and about with my brother at Bridestones.
OP freerangecat 03 Oct 2005
In reply to Pussycat:
I'm glad you don't mind- we weren't exactly talking about you behind your back!
Had good fun at Bridestones yesterday, though feeling it a bit this morning...

Looking forward to meeting you on Thursday
Cat
Pussycat 03 Oct 2005
In reply to Richard Bradley and freerangecat:

Badminton partner just cried off for tonight. She has bad cold (so I'll let her off). Any interest for a climb ?? Any venue.
In reply to Pussycat:
Unless either you or Richard suggest a really exciting venue I think I have to claim tiredness and soreness.
Sorry
Cat
Pussycat 03 Oct 2005
I think I have to claim tiredness

You have your catnap !! Zzzzzzzzz.
In reply to Pussycat: Sorry. A tax return to complete I'm afraid.
> (In reply to Pussycat)
> Unless either you or Richard suggest a really exciting venue I think I have to claim tiredness and soreness.
> Sorry
> Cat

What's new?
Pussycat 03 Oct 2005

Naughty ?? Tax returns due back by 30th Sept... According to all the ads in the media that is !
In reply to Pussycat: Only if you don't calculate your own tax....
> Sorry. A tax return to complete I'm afraid.

Sounds like you're in for a fascinating evening!

> What's new?

And who stayed at home yesterday to fix radiators?!
eeyore 03 Oct 2005
I might go bouldering at MCC tonight
In reply to eeyore:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=149048&v=1
Might be best to ring first!

Cat
In reply to freerangecat: It was more a case of buy radiators...
Oh dear. I agree, best sorted before it gets too much colder- been there, done that with no heating and snow falling outside, not to be recommended!

In reply to freerangecat: All I need now is for Les to fit them (two replacements for leaker crap ones).
Pussycat 03 Oct 2005
In reply to freerangecat and Richard Bradley:

Whats the climbing plan for the rest of this week then ?
In reply to Pussycat:
Definately thursday night for me. Not Wed, or Fri or weekend, as I'm going to Durham for a Scout camp.

Cat
Pussycat 03 Oct 2005
> (In reply to Pussycat)
> Definately thursday night for me. Not Wed, or Fri or weekend, as I'm going to Durham for a Scout camp.

Dib Dib.. You looked a bit older than a boy scout.
In reply to Pussycat:
> [...]
>
> Dib Dib.. You looked a bit older than a boy scout.

And with a rather obvious difference too...

Pussycat 03 Oct 2005

Not like the little one out of the Krankies then ?
In reply to Pussycat:
>
> Not like the little one out of the Krankies then ?

?

Pussycat 03 Oct 2005

Yes, that was a horror from the past which I'd dug up. Should have checked your age first. They were around in the eighties.

Pussycat 03 Oct 2005

So... looking at your other postings today, is it do-able standing up. !! or shouldn't I ask a lady ??
In reply to Pussycat:
I think I'll just decline to answer that one.
Pussycat 03 Oct 2005

Just checking (from your fellow feline)
In reply to Pussycat: Thursday night at Rochdale for me.
Pussycat 03 Oct 2005

Aaaah.. excellent. Positive response. Looking forward to it. How are you ?
In reply to Pussycat: I'm fine (and male)! Off to find various bits for that tax return now. It's that or make it up...
Pussycat 03 Oct 2005

Lol !!! anything that fits.. square pegs and round holes so to speak.
OP freerangecat 04 Oct 2005
In reply to Pussycat:
Did you get out climbing last night in the end then?
Pussycat 04 Oct 2005

Naw. Curled up in a ball in front of the fire. Ended up watching sh*te TV then fell asleep.

Climbing tonight with usual partner at Warrington.
In reply to Pussycat:
OK. I was in bed by 9pm, and then slept through from 10 till 6.40, which is very rare for me, so I really did need the sleep!

I'm half considering popping to Rochdale and doing some bouldering tonight, but I should probably stay at home and go shopping and pack for the weekend and prepare the programme that I'm going to run for my Scouts here on Friday night...Methinks I might not get out climbing after all!

See you on Thursday
Cat
Pie Eyed 04 Oct 2005
In reply to freerangecat: I'm hoping to meet up with you all again on Thursday.

I missed it so much last week (through work), that not only did I go on Tuesday night, I also went again Friday afternoon (and met some thoroughly nice chaps whilst there).

See y'all soon.

Craig
In reply to Pie Eyed:
I know the feeling- I've done the shopping and still really want to go climbing, so I'm going to bolt my tea and head to Rochdale!

See ya
Cat
In reply to freerangecat: You've done your shopping and my heating now works. A good day. Told jim to do a CD of pictures for you.
> (In reply to freerangecat)Told jim to do a CD of pictures for you.

Thats great, thanks. I'm glad your heating's fixed- I heard somewhere that we're due one of the coldest winters for years!
Yep, I'm all stocked up with enough Whiskas and Kitekat to keep me going for a while, and managed to get out to Rochdale for a couple of hours- lots of fun! Still can't do 'that yellow' and 'that orange', but I got a bit closer... I managed to traverse all the way across the flat wall though, and did every yellow, green and blue on it (though without some of the sit-down starts), with some helpful suggestions, so I'm pretty happy. Most importantly, I got back all on my own without getting lost!!

Anyway, I'm a bit hyper now, but I ought to calm down and go to bed!
See you on Thursday
Cat

OP freerangecat 05 Oct 2005
Sorry, I was a bit hyped up when I got back last night.
I don't know if I'll manage some of those green and blue climbs on the flat wall again, but it was nice to get them the once.
See you tomorrow
Cat
In reply to freerangecat: I'm sure you will be able to get them. Well done anyway. See you at the wall.
mic 05 Oct 2005
In reply to freerangecat: hi cat ..... have u recovered ??
In reply to mic:
Hiya

Yes thanks, a little sore, but not very. I sent you an email through UKC this morning. Did you get it?

Cat
mic 05 Oct 2005
In reply to freerangecat: emmmm dont think so...... havent checked the email yet though.... my work mail is on the card i gave u failing that.....will look now ....
mic 05 Oct 2005
In reply to mic: no, nothing from ukclimbing or rockfax, will mail u from here, c if that works
In reply to mic:
It'll have gone to whatever email address you gave when you registered on here, from my hotmail address, which is similar to my online name, but not quite the same...
It doesn't let me see what address of yours it goes to though.
mic 05 Oct 2005
In reply to freerangecat: right oh, will check it again, have emailed u to see if that works.......
In reply to mic: 1 sec
In reply to mic:
wait a minute- when you go to add a post, it puts your email at the top under your name. I'll send another one though.
In reply to mic:
sent!
mic 05 Oct 2005
In reply to freerangecat: cool ... found it ..... had to many unopened emails...... will have a read and get back to u later tonight as am running a bit late......
In reply to mic:
Glad you got it (its not that exciting though!)

Cat
Pussycat 06 Oct 2005

Just wondering how close to belay you later, have you changed your undergarments today ?!
In reply to Pussycat: After that comment, from as far as possible?
OP freerangecat 06 Oct 2005
In reply to Pussycat:
I'll make sure I dig a pair of socks out of the bottom of my washing bag to climb in, then hang around at about your head height. I've had a crap afternoon at work and don't need much temptation!

Cat
Pussycat 06 Oct 2005
> then hang around at about your head height.

I'll make sure I dont have a fixed anchor then !!
In reply to all:

Final route of the night completed! (twice in one week- I think I've finally got it cracked, no more driving around Oldham in the middle of the night for me!)

It was great to see everyone there tonight, and finally meet the fellow feline. Sorry for being a bit quiet at the end, I rather scared myself doing the lead, and a little just with everything I climbed too. It was a bit crazy. Anyway, hopefully there'll be a whole new set of problems for us to puzzle over next week.

Looking forward to seeing you all again next Thursday

Cat
In reply to freerangecat: I'm working on a list of extremes which I'm going to second you on. Better get used to the shakes!

Was good fun tonight.
> (In reply to freerangecat) I'm working on a list of extremes which I'm going to second you on.

Humm, maybe not!

Yep, was fun. Thanks again for the help and advice and company.

Cat
Pussycat 07 Oct 2005
>Sorry for being a bit quiet at the end, I rather scared myself doing the lead

Is ok to feel scared when first doing leading, at least you wont get reckless. I still get scared.
Pie Eyed 07 Oct 2005
In reply to Pussycat: Thanks for the belaying session last night. I'm glad you trusted me enough to let me dangle you from a rope :-D

A nice way to end the evening.

Hope to see you again soon.

BTW - Well done on the lead-climb, Cat.
OP freerangecat 07 Oct 2005
In reply to all:

ooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!
In reply to freerangecat: Whhhattt?
Pussycat 07 Oct 2005

> ooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!
>

Are you in pain !!?
Pussycat 07 Oct 2005
In reply to Pie Eyed:
> Thanks for the belaying session last night. I'm glad you trusted me enough to let me dangle you from a rope

Pleasure. We all have to learn somewhere, you did well.
In reply to Pussycat:
Very achey in lots of places!
I knew I'd suffer this morning from doing/trying all those flipping overhangs yesterday, and was unfortunately proved right- my neck and shoulders are very sore. Just glad I don't have to sleep in a tent tonight!

Cat
Sorry, I'll die quietly next time. It's all entirely self-inflicted, and I did have a lot of fun last night, so I shouldn't complain really, though its not making working much fun today. : )

Pussycat 07 Oct 2005
> (In reply to Pussycat)
> Very achey in lots of places!
> my neck and shoulders are very sore.

Get used to it esp if climbing two or three times a week.... Aaaaaah, the initial enthusiasm. I remember it well. You did well on your lead, me and Craig were belaying each other then I looked round and feck... you were at the top !! Nice one.
In reply to Pussycat:
Cheers.
I'll shut up about it soon. It's just that self doubt has set in now and says I'll never be able to do it again, or do the bouldering stuff as well as i did last night (I know I didn't do climb anything particularly hard, but it felt really good to me!). The joys of paranoia. I'll get over it, hopefully when I get to the wall next week!
Right I'll go now and stop complaining.
Cat : )
Pussycat 07 Oct 2005
> I'll shut up about it soon. It's just that self doubt has set in now and says I'll never be able to do it again.

Get on yer. If the lead overhang worried you, then do your next lead on a better angled wall. Confidence will flourish.

> but it felt really good to me!

Thats the whole point of it all.. enjoyment. Dont get too fixed with it all ie. dont feel you NEED to do a particular grade to feel as if you climbing well or not.
In reply to Pussycat: Will be working you two harder next week. You abviously have too much strength left in your fingers if you can still type garbage!

Which route did you lead? Good effort anyway.
OP freerangecat 09 Oct 2005
> (In reply to Pussycat) Will be working you two harder next week. You abviously have too much strength left in your fingers if you can still type garbage!

Don't think I could have worked any harder if I'd tried- back and shoulders still sore today. Sorry for the garbage, I'll keep my self-doubting ramblings to myself next time.

See you on Thursday (hopefully new problems up by then...)
Cat
Pie Eyed 09 Oct 2005
In reply to freerangecat: I don't know if I want them to change all the problems just yet.

I'm kind of hoping that that bloody yellow route up the big overhang is still there. I've only managed it once so far, and I really want to prove to myself that it wasn't just a fluke.

See you there on Thursday.

BTW, are both of the bouldering areas up at Manchester now ???
I fancy a bit (of bouldering, of course) on Tuesday lunchtime/afternoon, and I don't know whether to try Manchester or just stick to Rochdale.
In reply to Pie Eyed:
Hiya

I wouldn't mind redoing that big yellow route either- I really enjoyed it, though I think I need to work on the descent, as it was a bit high to jump from, !
I don't know about MCC bouldering, though there is another thread about it on here somewhere.Maybe we could relocate one thurs and check it out when its all open?

Hope you've had a good weekend.
See you Thurs
Cat
In reply to Pie Eyed: You should be ok by now at Manc I would think. Just got back from an afternoon at bridestones and my back and triceps are killing. Should be ok by Thursday.

Cats can't help talking rubbish!!
:p
In reply to freerangecat: Just lokked at the top 40 posters. I've been talking lots of rubbish in the last week. How was your scout thing?
I've been talking lots of rubbish in the last week.

I guess we're even then!
Scout thing was pretty good thanks, though managed to come down with a stinking cold last night (i.e. it started last night and is still here!)- I think the whole Durham area must be comtaminated with freshers flu germs!
What did you climb at Bridestones- anything I saw last weekend?
In reply to freerangecat: Did (well tried) a couple of things on the tilted pinicle then up to the Small Bay, which was where you were I think. Spent most of the time there to shelter from the wind.
jimbrad 09 Oct 2005
In reply to freerangecat: did the duck facing the wrong way,
i.e facing the rock.
it was a stinker but funny
In reply to jimbrad: But you failed on a 4a!!!!
jimbrad 09 Oct 2005
In reply to richard bradley :is that all the pub step gets
4a
OP freerangecat 10 Oct 2005
In reply to jimbrad:
> (In reply to freerangecat) did the duck facing the wrong way,
> i.e facing the rock.
> it was a stinker but funny

It was hard enough doing it the 'right' way. I think I'll go for 'done it once so i never have to do it again' with that one- a little too scary for my liking, though a great sense of achievement when i finally got to the top!

The photos are great, btw, i can't believe the quality compared to the ones I normally upload from my little digital camera, thanks again for putting them on CD for me.
That photo viewer thing of yours isn't compatable with a usb memory stick is it- would be great for transferring pictures quickly?

See you on Thursday
Cat
Pussycat 10 Oct 2005
>
> Which route did you lead? Good effort anyway.

Hiya. Looks like you had a good weekend. I didn't lead on Thurs, at least I dont think I did (me and Craig belayed each other).
jimbrad 10 Oct 2005
In reply to freerangecat: Your right it isn't compatible with a usb memory stick,but if you have a card reader that would work.

see you thursday
jim

ps hope your cold has gone
OP freerangecat 11 Oct 2005
In reply to jimbrad:
Shame it doesn't work with memory sticks- didn't think so, but worth a try. I don't have a card reader unfortunately.
Got some super strength vit c from asda last night (833% rda!), which will hopefully blast the cold away. Going to Rochdale tonight- meeting the guy I met there last Tues, but I'll try and have a gentle session due to the cold and the fact my back's still sore from last week.

See you on Thurs
Cat
 haze01 11 Oct 2005

I'd like to get to MCC one evening. Feeling lazy tho just now so to save me reading thu the chat and working out who's where this week, i've posted a thread in lifts & partners.
:0)
 woodie 19 Oct 2005
In reply to all:

Are any of you regulars going to Rochdale again tomorrow night?

OP freerangecat 19 Oct 2005
In reply to woodie:
I really can't say if i'll be there tomorrow- feeling a bit more human today so i might be back at work if I'm lucky, but climbing too may be a little much after a week at home, we'll see. I'm pretty sure most of the others will be there, but I'm sure they'll reply here soon enough anyway. If I don't see you tomorrow then have fun, and maybe I'll meet you next week.

Cat
 woodie 19 Oct 2005

Sounds good - hopefully will start making it most Thursdays through the winter

Pussycat 19 Oct 2005
In reply to woodie:
> going to Rochdale again tomorrow night?

Cant do this Thursday am afraid. Off to Lakes tomorrow for three laaaazzzzy days! Back to Rochdale next Thurs (27th)
 Obi Wan 19 Oct 2005
In reply to Pussycat:

Lazy days? In the lakes?......does not compute
Pussycat 19 Oct 2005
In reply to Obi Wan:
> Lazy days? In the lakes?......does not compute

Ok, I may take in High Street area if weather ok. Am walking tho, not climbing. So that is classed as lazy
Pussycat 19 Oct 2005
In reply to Obi Wan:

Did i see a thread that showed you waiting for Cliff's Barn to re-open ?? If so, have you heard anything? If not, then .. ooops
In reply to Pussycat: You've got it wrong. Climbers are the lazy ones...allows you to walk less during a day in the hills.

Woodie: I will be there but planning on a lazy evening following this bloody everlasting cold.
 woodie 19 Oct 2005

Not been to Rochdale before and haven't been climbing long, but thought I might come over - so a lazyish night isn't too much of a problem!!

Pie Eyed 19 Oct 2005
In reply to woodie: I'll be there tomorrow.

I've only been climbing about 6 weeks myself, but under Richard's (and James' and Les') tutelage, I would consider my climbing to be a hell of a sight better than it was when I first met them.

I'll be there somewhere between 7.30 and 8.00

See you down there.

Craig
OP freerangecat 20 Oct 2005
In reply to all:

No climbing for Cat again tonight
Thought I was feeling a fair bit better until a friend persuaded me to go out for a coffee last night. You wouldn't think it would take that much energy to walk from a car to a Starbucks in the Trafford Centre and sit and chat for an hour or so, but I felt awful by the time I got home, and feel pretty rotten now too. Better to find out last night that i wasn't fit yet than going in to work today and realising after an hour or two I suppose though...

I hope you've managed to get rid of your cold at last Richard. Have fun everyone and hopefully I'll see you next week!

Cat
In reply to freerangecat: The sniffles are still hanging on a bit but I will be there doing some easy stuff tonight.

Get better soon!
 woodie 20 Oct 2005
In reply to Pie Eyed & Richard:

See you there later. Watch out for someone looking lost and confused, as it's my first visit to Rochdale.

I'll be wearing a "Climbing Can Kill You But Women Can Destroy You" t-shirt

Obi Wan 20 Oct 2005
In reply to Pussycat:

No not heard anything yet, last news was end of the month, looking forward to it though.
did you go to the old cliffe's barn then?
In reply to woodie: Ask any of the staff to point you in my direction. They will reply "who?"
Pie Eyed 20 Oct 2005
In reply to woodie: Just look out for a guy who looks like he could stand on his toes and reach the top of the bouldering wall and you've found Richard.

(No wonder he can do the harder routes, he just "misses" all but the last two holds.) :-p
 woodie 20 Oct 2005
In reply to Pie Eyed:

OK I'll approach the giant in there and hope for the best!!

In reply to woodie:
You could look at his profile picture, but that'd be boring. Sorry, I'm ill and bored and miserable and I WANNA GO CLIMBING
In reply to freerangecat: Come along and be a cheercat?
Nice idea, but after last night's mad energetic escapade (1 decaff and an hour or so's conversation) I ought to have an evening in and try and be fit to go to work to see my supervisor tomorrow- he's coming from Durham for the afternoon, so I have to be vaguely alive and compos mentis!
I'll be better by next week, just nobody snap that loose hold off the overhanging yellow we were all trying a couple of weeks ago- i really want to get that one!

Have lots of fun
Cat
jimbrad 20 Oct 2005
In reply to freerangecat: how long have you had this cold?
get of your bum girl
lol
jim
In reply to jimbrad:
cold

The feeling sick and dizzy and shaky suggests otherwise. I'm not getting paid to sit at home and daytime TV's crap.

woodie 20 Oct 2005
In reply to freerangecat: that's far too clever a thought!

jimbrad 20 Oct 2005
In reply to freerangecat:Go see your GP. nighttime tv is no
better.
In reply to jimbrad:
Go see your GP.

Went last Friday. Glands up, throat looked "horrible", probably virus, possibly strep infection. Blood test results ok (though still waiting for strep one). Rest and take paracetamol and wait till it gets better.
In reply to jimbrad:
Sorry, had a sense of humour failure. Feeling pretty lonely and miserable.
Are you/Les/Richard going climbing on Sunday? If you are and I'm better could I come along please, if only to get some fresh air and escape the city.

Hope you have fun tonight
Thanks
Cat
In reply to freerangecat: Just got back from the wall. Took it easy but did better than I expected. Craig did well getting up most of the things he had been trying for weeks.

Will let you know about weekend-I'll e-mail tomorrow or early Saturday.
 woodie 20 Oct 2005

Good to meet you guys. See you in a couple of weeks, when hopefully my forearms and fingers will be starting to get stronger!

In reply to woodie: Don't worry, a winter indoors will sort you out. You'll soon get stronger. Good fun though eh?
 woodie 20 Oct 2005

Climbing is great. Good fun and good people. That's what it's all about.

I'll look like popeye by easter.

jimbrad 21 Oct 2005
In reply to freerangecat: Just got back from rochdale had a good time.Saterday looks better weatherwise,you could be
photographer gives you somthing to do.Have a look at some
crag info, see if theirs anywhere that you fancy having a look at.let us know before sat if you find somewhere.
some parts of stanage and froggat are interesting,
Richard would spend the rest of his life at the plantation
if we let him,obssesed with one little rock (the lone boulder)
aren't you rick,so dont be surprised if we end at the
plantation.

jim
OP freerangecat 21 Oct 2005
In reply to jimbrad:
Saturday would be good, but I've arranged to go and see Wallace and Gromit at the cinema with a friend that evening, so I'd have to be home by about 6ish as they're picking me up at 7.15. Would that be possible? I could take my car if necessary adn meet you there so I could leave early. I could also see if they can rearrange for Sunday maybe.

I'm at work now, and not feeling very fantastic. Could be a long day...

Hopefully see you tomorrow
Cat
In reply to freerangecat: Don't Worry. I have saturday evening down for W & G as well. Haven't even looked at the forecast yet!
Pie Eyed 21 Oct 2005
In reply to Richard Bradley: Great fun last night.

Really happy with the problems that I managed to beat (even if one of them had no "official" witnesses)

Got all the yellows that I'd been after, and both greens on the main overhang wall that were beating me. A good night all-in-all.

Cat - If that yellow problem that you're talking about was on the wall with the double-overhang (the wall round the back), there was a BIG yellow (a double-handle shaped piece) that got ripped out of the wall last night.

Nice to meet you, too, Woodie. Sorry mate - I forgot to ask your name, so I'll have to stick to your username for now.

See you all next week.

Craig

woodie 21 Oct 2005
In reply to Pie Eyed:

Woodie is fine, but otherwise it's Neil

See you in a couple of weeks

OP freerangecat 21 Oct 2005
In reply to Pie Eyed:
> Cat - If that yellow problem that you're talking about was on the wall with the double-overhang (the wall round the back), there was a BIG yellow (a double-handle shaped piece) that got ripped out of the wall last night.

Not sure, hope not! Glad you all had fun last night, sounds like you did really well. I can't wait to get back there.

See you next week
cat

OP freerangecat 22 Oct 2005

> Will let you know about weekend-I'll e-mail tomorrow or early Saturday.

I take it you've either decided not to go today or gone without me. No worries, still not feeling great, though still willing to be a photographer/cheercat/thing that snores in the back of the car if you've decided to go tomorrow instead.

Cat
jimbrad 22 Oct 2005
In reply to freerangecat: did rick e-mail you?
OP freerangecat 22 Oct 2005
In reply to jimbrad:
Yep, just replying now
Pussycat 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Obi Wan:
> did you go to the old cliffe's barn then?

Certainly did. Way out on a limb. Together with climbing at Salford Uni wall they were my first two walls that i learned to climb. Huge crash mats and a great wall to traverse round. Then the pub down the road to finish the evening. Great
 Obi Wan 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Pussycat:

Good call.
Particularly enjoyed the problems that surmounted the little roof section, hope they still have that when they re-open. Never bothered with the lead wall though as it could be bouldered most of the way.
Pussycat 24 Oct 2005
In reply to Obi Wan:
> the lead wall.... as it could be bouldered most of the way.

Are you referring to the left hand side, slightly overhangin. Had a good lower grade route that went from bottom right to top left (probably graded 4a or 4b) can see it now !!
In reply to Pussycat: Where was/is this place?
OP freerangecat 25 Oct 2005
Back at work at last yaaahooooooo
Got this stupid bug on the run!

Cat :0)
 Obi Wan 25 Oct 2005
In reply to Pussycat:

Thats the puppy!
jimbrad 25 Oct 2005
In reply to Richard Bradley: Salford Uni grouds,went a
couple of times with john,very small room,but not a bad
climbing wall.
Pussycat 25 Oct 2005
> Where was/is this place?

Hi Richard. Cliff's Barn is in the middle of nowhere really, fairly close to Parbold, and just outside of a lovely country village called Mawdsley(!)... More info? or a bit far from you in any event ??!

Pussycat 25 Oct 2005
In reply to jimbrad:
> Salford Uni grouds, but not a bad climbing wall.

Excellent wall, Jim. you been since they put the central column in ?, giving an extra three faces of climbing. Good price too (£4) when last there a month or so ago.

Pussycat 25 Oct 2005
In reply to Obi Wan:

The barn did turn into a bit of a creche near the end tho, a bit like Awesome Walls was last night !! Mind you, half term. So only to be expected i suppose.
Pussycat 25 Oct 2005
> Got this stupid bug on the run!

Welcome back to the land of the living, you back on the wall soon?
 Obi Wan 25 Oct 2005
In reply to Pussycat:

Yeh, you are not kidding. Had a lot to do with the residential centre atatched I think.
Not sure if that still exists now though.
Pussycat 25 Oct 2005
In reply to Obi Wan:

Me neither. Thought it was intended to be a bunkhouse with all the bunk beds upstairs. That was the last I heard.
In reply to Pussycat:

> Welcome back to the land of the living, you back on the wall soon?

Thanks. Going for a little (gentle) play tonight downstairs on the roped walls with a guy I met there a few weeks ago, and hopefully will be out on Thursday night too. Went to Stanage with Richard et al on Sunday but didn't do much as I was as weak as a kitten!

Hopefully see you on Thursday
Cat
In reply to freerangecat: Surely that is a little harsh on the average kitten?
Pussycat 25 Oct 2005

By chance my reg climbing partner and I are ambling down to Rochdale later (an away day from Manchester), so may see you there.

Any other takers from the regular crew ?
In reply to Pussycat: Tescos for me!
Pussycat 25 Oct 2005
> I was as weak as a kitten!

Agree with Richard.. Dont be harsh on yersel, sometimes illness takes time to recover.

Pussycat 25 Oct 2005

And then ? Ha ha.
In reply to Richard and Pussycat:

I'll be good, i promise! :0)
I'm just glad to have survived the day and still be standing, though I did take advantage of the fact that I organise my own work and spent the day quietly sitting at the computer rather than doing practical stuff.

Maybe see you tonight then Puss.

Cat
jimbrad 25 Oct 2005
In reply to Pussycat:We could go there one evening, as a change from rochdale.
In reply to jimbrad: Your confussing me now! Salford?
Pie Eyed 25 Oct 2005

I suspect he meant Manchester, although I could do Salford even more easily, as it's only about 10 minutes from home.

See you all Thursday.
jimbrad 26 Oct 2005
In reply to Richard Bradleyook at news,Shipley Glen,
my photo hehe
jimbrad 26 Oct 2005
In reply to Pie Eyed: I suspect he meant salford uni wall
Pussycat 26 Oct 2005
In reply to jimbrad:
> I suspect he meant salford uni wall

Correct, I was referring to Salford Uni wall, as it and Cliff's Barn were my first two climbing walls for ages.

Climbing was good last nite. Saw Cat, with a guy who was tying her up :-p
OP freerangecat 26 Oct 2005
In reply to Pussycat:
Saw Cat, with a guy who was tying her up :-p

Urm, I don't know quite what to say to that! He was teaching me how to do some rope stuff like make anchors, but I did end up 'hanging around' for a while- good fun!
I don't think I quite managed the whole 'taking it easy' thing very well though- that blue route on the overhang I seconded was a tad strenuous, but good fun, once I'd got my breath back- maybe not the best one to try while not at full strength, I'm still amazed I got up it.

It was nice to meet your climbing partner. Which bouldering problems did you try after I went downstairs?

See you tomorrow
Cat
In reply to freerangecat: Tuesday night is S&M night is it?
> (In reply to freerangecat) Tuesday night is S&M night is it?

:-P
btw, i don't know what I did to my ankle slipping down that slab on Sunday, but it's slightly swollen round the front and still hurts
In reply to freerangecat: I've done that before now, usually on a downward sloping landing. Probably be sore for a week or two but nothing too serious. You will eventually find it is second nature to jump off before hitting ledges and the like.
Thanks. At least it'll teach me to fall properly in future! Means I won't be able to get that blue boulder problem facing the door tomorrow though- tried it last night and much too painful, shame, I've spent the last 3 weeks going over in my head how to try and get it. I want to get at least one of the two yellows that are still defeating me tomorrow before they're changed!

See you tomorrow
Cat :0)
Pussycat 26 Oct 2005
> Which bouldering problems did you try after I went downstairs

Didn't manage any new routes in full, a lot of repeat stuff, a feeble attempt or three at the overhanging yellow plus half way up newer ones. Am going nowhere near the green route that Craig did last week. (Well done, mate !)
 woodie 26 Oct 2005
In reply to Pussycat:

Wish I could make it again tomorrow, but no chance until next week. May have to go for the S&M sesion on a Tuesday!!

Pussycat 27 Oct 2005

See you all at the wall later, I'll be there about 7.45pm.
OP freerangecat 27 Oct 2005
In reply to Pussycat:

OK, I'll probably get there 7.15-7.30. Tonight I'm going to try and take it easy though!

See ya later
Cat
Pussycat 27 Oct 2005
> Tonight I'm going to try and take it easy though!

Huh! Yeh, i've heard you say that one before.

OP freerangecat 27 Oct 2005
In reply to Pussycat:
> [...]
>
> Huh! Yeh, i've heard you say that one before.

Urm, urr, I id try to take it easy on Tuesday, it's just that after Chris had led that route I had to just have a little go at seconding it...
To be fair, the actual quantity of climbing I did wasn't that great, as we spent quite a while playing with ropes, it's just that the ones I did do/try were fairly hard.

Pussycat 27 Oct 2005
> the actual quantity of climbing I did wasn't that great.

I know, am only teasing. Glad you looked to be enjoying the S&M.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...