UKC

Tetons or East Greenland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tig Smith 05 Oct 2005
I'm exploring ideas for next summer. This summer I did The John Muir Trail in California and the flew over to the Alps to enjoy the Mont Blanc circuit after that . Both trips were wonderful but I really loved the peace and wildness of the Sierra Nerada's. Has anyone any experience of trips to East Greenland or The Tetons.
kevneal 06 Oct 2005
In reply to Tig Smith: went the tetons when i was at uni, bloody dam nice place. Loads of beautiful views, bears and the odd wolf now.

totally good weather as well.

not really advice i know just passing comment.

kev
 TobyA 06 Oct 2005
In reply to Tig Smith: East Greenland is wonderful - I've been to the Scoresbysund area. It is expensive to get there though as you need to charter a flight. Firms like Tangent Expeditions organise trips there if you don't want to do it yourself.

I imagine getting to the Tetons is very very easy in comparison (i.e. fly to the US and hire a car).
 tony 06 Oct 2005
In reply to Tig Smith:

The Tetons are wonderful, and as Toby suggests, access is pretty easy. The downside is that they're very popular and in the summer they get busy. It's not too hard to get away from the crowds, but you're never going to be very far from civilisation. If it's peace and wilderness you're after, Greenland may be a better bet.
yamabushi 06 Oct 2005
In reply to Tig Smith:
alternatively head to the Wind Rivers in wyoming, awesome scenery, climbing and hiking and not half as crowded as the tetons
 BruceM 06 Oct 2005
In reply to Tig Smith:
We went to the Tetons this summer. Just a few days to escape bad weather elsewhere. It is extremely accessible. And therefore, as the others have said, it isn't isolated. Because it was very early June and we had a big snow dump (standing in full winter kit staring at boiling mud!) the crowds were minimal. But it's kind-of part of one of the biggest Nat parks in the states -- Yellowstone. So there are zillions of people and RVs rumbling around. And big things that will eat you if you are not careful. And after the Alps and other mountain regions -- it seems quite a small. Go play in it sometime. But don't go there for that big expedition feel.
 Guy 06 Oct 2005
In reply to Iainhw: Yeah the Wind River area is amazing and so quiet compared to the Tetons. We did the Tetons first to get used to the area and then headed for the Wind River NP. The only drawback was the mossies in the evenings, take lots of spray and netting.
 Laffco 06 Oct 2005
In reply to Tig Smith:

was in the tetons last summer.

paniced a bit when we started as was rammed but did some back country hikes and didn't see any one for 4 days. was amazing.

also the same is possible in yellowstone (98% of people dont leave the board walks.)

get into the back country and do some bear dodging

Dave
 BruceM 06 Oct 2005
In reply to Laffco:
> paniced a bit when we started as was rammed...

Was that by one of those big bison? Or a bear? Either way, can't have been pleasant. Unless you're into that kind of thing
 Jack Frost 06 Oct 2005
In reply to Tig Smith:

Channel 5 tonight 9pm - Greenland peaks. With ian Wright. Great.
Tig Smith 06 Oct 2005
In reply to Jack Frost: Yes, I had seen that was on . Thank you for the tip anyway, it's on record as my daughter is watching 'George'. Greenland sounds wonderful, I think it would be an amazing place to go. I work school terms so I get the summer off. Last summer I had four and a half weeks in the mountains, walking and camping in the wild, so I think it's my kind of place. Thanks for everyones ideas. Wind River was on my plan if I did the Tetons.It's intesting to here how busy the area gets.How long would you spend in the Wind River area? I thought about 5 to 7 days.
 alasdair19 07 Oct 2005
In reply to Tig Smith: the wind rivers are huge... you could spend a couple of weeks trekking around easy, bugs are an early season thing, we were there in august and it was fine. cirque of the tower (2of the us fifty classics) there was a few people about but everything else was totally quiet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...