UKC

What footwear for Ecaudor/bolivia volcanoes and Aconcagua

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
vim_meister 06 Oct 2005
Looking at buying scarpa vegas for snow, but also need boots for scree and approaches, weight is critical due to me travelling.
Can the vegas be used for multipurpose use or are there better options
 PK 06 Oct 2005
In reply to vim_meister: I wore my Salomon Thermic Guides (masters of pain) on Aconcagua, but they would have been too much on the walk in. It gets really hot in the Horcones valley, so I was advised to send them on ahead to base camp by mule. Everyone on our group did the same and walked in wearing light approach shoes.

You have to cross the river in a couple of places, so if you are unhappy with the idea of bare feet and quite sharp stones, take a pair of Tevas or similar - not flip flops as the current is v. strong and one of our guys lost one.

Our expedition was self organised, so we had to sort out mule transport ourselves at Punta del Inca.
nb290 06 Oct 2005
In reply to vim_meister:

a few guys here tried to sell vegas, unsuccessfully I think, may be worth checking out. if i remember correctly the sizes were 10, 10.5 and 11, all offered in the same thread.
vim_meister 06 Oct 2005
In reply to PK:
I have some old walking boots which i regularly use in UK, which unfortunately ingress water, so i could use these for trecking and walk in, we are planning on hiring mules, so could send ahead with them.

What about La sportiva nepal extreme, extreme evo or alphas compared to vegas, are vegas only ones with inner boots
Chris Tait 06 Oct 2005
In reply to vim_meister: climbed aconcagua last year; did the hike up the upper vacas in trail running shoes, and sent the boots ahead by mule train. i used the asolo otto milla's, which kept my feet uber-toasty the whole time on the mountain (i am selling these now. a size 45!). but i believe a pair of nepal extreme's would be sufficient. there can be alot of snow (depending on whether you're doing the normal route, or the polish), so you would have to make certain you treat the leather, or wear gaitors. never really had a problem with the cold...but then, i'm canadian!
 Ben C 06 Oct 2005
In reply to vim_meister: 7000m peak in leathers mmm hope ur good ! Vega s unless u dont like ur toes
Chris Tait 06 Oct 2005
In reply to Ben C: thought the same thing until i got there...saw a few people with insulated leathers. it doesn't normally get that cold until the sun zips down; at which point you had better be in you bed anyhow! funny though, how edmund hillary used leathers...seem to recall he stil has all toes intact. ; )
i'm not saying someone SHOULD use leathers on aconcagua...only that (if they truly wanted!) they could...
 Ben C 07 Oct 2005
In reply to Chris Tait: what u say is true. there's a good pic of David Hamilton at top in Sportiva s. but i bet he ran up it. as i say depends whether ur slow at 6500 or whether you ve been to 8900.

yeah cold in the morning that f*ckin scree
vim_meister 09 Oct 2005
In reply to vim_meister: Thnks, decided to opt for vegas, thought best to buy a boot with inner, which can be used for colder trips in future
 Ben C 09 Oct 2005
In reply to vim_meister: good lad of course Scarpa are bringing out a new plastic that is super soft n light mmm its amassing
 David Hooper 10 Oct 2005
In reply to vim_meister: On all my S.A. trips the vast majority of my walk ins have been in lightweight boots with Scarpa Cumbres on the mule for the icy bits - the highest Ive been is 6,300 ish in Bolivia and my tootsies were cold when we were sitting out the pre-dawn on a ledge, but fine apart from that. Colleagues who have done Aconcagua say it can get bloody cold with wind chill being a real problem - so I would guess either good leathers with maybe (insulated?) overgaiters or a decent pair of plastics.

It may be worth your while getting in touch with Jagged Globe or John Biggar at Andes.Org. They both run regular Aconcagua trips and advise their clients on suitable kit.

As for the Ecuador/Bolivia stuff, as mentioned your big boots will be on the mule most of the time, so nice comfy lightweights will do for the majority.

Have fun

David

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...