UKC

Photo gallery , East Greenland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tig Smith 14 Oct 2005
I have been looking for photos of East Greenland on Summitpost and in the Photo gallery . I didn't have much luck . Does anyone have any pictures in their Gallery ? I'm feeling guilty as I have not put any on mine so I will try and do that next week .I am interested in the areas of ;sermilik and Ammassalik, but any photos of Greenland would be interesting. It's great to be able to look at others photo's , there are some wonderful shots.
 chris j 14 Oct 2005
In reply to Tig Smith: I've got a couple of pics in my gallery from a trip in 2003. Can put a few more up if you're interested. The approx location (if you want to see the area in google earth) is: 69°10'22"N 29°26'48"W
almost sane 15 Oct 2005
Tig Smith 15 Oct 2005
In reply to chris j: Thanks for the photos ,looks fantastic . Hoping to get away at the end of July , for the start of the summer holiday 2006 . What month was you there ?
 sutty 15 Oct 2005
In reply to Tig Smith:

I put greenland icecap into google images and got these. If you find something interesting you click on it and maybe get an article and other pictures, worth remembering;

http://makeashorterlink.com/?X30A22CFB
Tig Smith 16 Oct 2005
In reply to sutty: Thanks for the information. I found a really good set of pictures on one site, of the area that I am interested in .
Tig Smith 16 Oct 2005
In reply to chris j: I have just had another look at your photos and have seen that you was there in June . How cold was it ? You said that you had a lot of snow . How high was the area you was in ? It must have been amazing .They are great photos , thanks for your reply.

I have been reading David Roberts , Escape from Lucania .The title is a bit off putting ,but its a really interesting well written book about the early mountain photograghy of Brad Washburn in Alaska and how their first ascents led to the mapping of the range. Its worth reading , if you havn't read it.

chris j 16 Oct 2005
In reply to Tig Smith: We were there from early june through to late July. Base camp was about 2300m, top of the highest peak was about 3100m. Weather cycle was about 5-6 days good weather, then 4 days or so bad weather, winds, low clouds and mix of fresh and blown snow. Temperatures, not sure but they ranged from being in short sleeved baselayer while out in the sun on a calm day to pretty damn cold at 3am in the shadow of the mountains while in full-on montane extreme pile/pertex. So guessing maybe +5°C to maybe -15°C or thereabouts. Will have a look through a few more photos and post them up this week. Best trip of my life, hoping to go back and do a crossing of the ice cap in a couple of years...
urban warrior 17 Oct 2005
For some good (but low res on line) shots and info of two trips to the Lemon Mountains in 1999 and 2000 see our report websites at http://www.wayupnorth.co.uk

click on the wayupnorth treks spitzbergen link at bootm right of page. (it's a mates website and the trips din't really have much to do with wayupnorth. For more info feel free to e mail me.

cheers.
Tig Smith 17 Oct 2005
In reply to chris j: Thanks for the information . I want to get things started with organising thinking about gear that I need , etc . I know it took at least six months to book permits ,flights and gear when I did the Sierra Nevadas in the USA this summer.I don't know if my sleeping bag is up to the cold, it was fine in Iceland .Its an ajungilak one and goes down to -20. My jacket is a North Face summit series Gore Tex xcr . will that be ok with layers ? I wear it in the mountains in France in winter and its great. I would love to see some more of your photos, thanks
 Ali 17 Oct 2005
In reply to Tig Smith: I'm just scanning in loads of mine from the expedition i was on this summer - there are a few of other peoples already up on our website (link on my profile) and more to follow hopefully!
 Ali 17 Oct 2005
In reply to Tig Smith: Most of our group had -20 bags and were fine. I had a -25 and occasionally was chilly buit i'm a cold-sleeping person.
 chris j 17 Oct 2005
In reply to Tig Smith: I'm quite a warm sleeping person but was in a -20 bag and toasty. One thing we found important though (especially when bivvying out) was sleeping on a karrimat and a thermarest (ultralite in my case). This made a huge difference - on the couple of nights I slept on only one or the other I got cold patches through the bottom of my sleeping bag. We were sleeping on ice every night though.

Ref clothing, most of the time in the day I wandered around in a baselayer and a polartec powershield windproof fleece & schoeller trousers with occasional polartec trous underneath. Belay jacket for sitting in for breakfast. Night-time (when we did most climbing due to better snow/ice conditions) was usually baselayer and montane extreme pile/pertex with daytime trouser combo (you'd probably be fine with a down jacket on top of daytime fleece, just be careful not to sweat too much, I did once, bad idea). It never rained with us so windproofing and breathability of clothing was more important than waterproofs.
 chris j 17 Oct 2005
In reply to Ali: Nice pics, sounds like an entertaining trip!
 Ali 17 Oct 2005
In reply to chris j: Aye, entertaining is one way of putting it...just goes to show, expeditions never turn out the way you think they will! I'll go with the karrimat/thermorest combo too - in fact as an expedition we took 2 karrimats to sit on/put water bags on/use as spare karrimats in case of punctured thermorests - they were definately well used!
Tig Smith 18 Oct 2005
In reply to chris j: Interesting idea with the thermaest . I have never used both before , but it sounds a good idea on ice. I have put a space blanket under my thermarest before as its light , to carry and does help.
Tig Smith 18 Oct 2005
In reply to Ali: Like your photo's . We better be careful not to tell everyone how good Greenland is, or else half of the uk will be there next year , instead of the lake District ! I think its all that sunshine , and not wearing waterproofs that will get them interested !

End of jokes , and back to the photo's , they really are great pictures, thanks for putting them up .
 TobyA 19 Oct 2005
In reply to Tig Smith:
> (In reply to chris j) Interesting idea with the thermaest . I have never used both before , but it sounds a good idea on ice.

I recommend a full length ridge-rest with an ultralite 3/4 length thermarest, stick your sac on the bit of the ridgerest that the thermarest doesn't cover. I've used this happily down to around -30.

I'm interested in you saying that a space blanket works under a thermarest. My grasp of physics is basic but surely radiated heat is only something like 5% of heatloss and the blanket would have to be close to you to make any difference at all?

Jon Russill 20 Oct 2005
In reply to Tig Smith:
Hi Tig, We took a group to the Ammassalik area at the end of August this year. It's a fantastic place. Have a look at some photos from the trip at http://www.nickrussill-photography.co.uk. Let me know if you need any more info about the area - we have a lot of experience here and would be happy to help.
 chris j 20 Oct 2005
In reply to Jon Russill: You've got some really nice pics there.

Have put a few more pics from our 2003 trip up in my gallery now.
Tig Smith 20 Oct 2005
In reply to Jon Russill: Your photo,s are beautiful . You must have a wonderful camera, what do you use ? Did you take the iceburgs out on the water ?
Tig Smith 20 Oct 2005
In reply to chris j: Your new Greenland photo's are fantastic , what a brilliant place it must be .
Jon Russill 21 Oct 2005
In reply to Tig Smith:

Hi Tig, The photographer is actually my brother Nick - he uses some sort of fancy Canon digital SLR. Yes the icebergs were taken on the water, from a small Inuit hunting boat belonging to a colleague of ours in Kulusuk - a small hunting village on the east coast. It really is a fantastic place, and perfect for your plans next summer. Please do let me know if you need any help for your trip - we'll be in the area anyway with some other groups.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...