UKC

Icebreaker or Smartwool baselayers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
nb290 17 Oct 2005
Which of these companies makes the better merino baselayers?

I'm especially interested in opinions about the Icebreaker Tech Top versus the Smartwool Midweight Zip T.
 Jon Greengrass 17 Oct 2005
In reply to nb290: save your money and get a merino jumper for £20 in the sale at M&S
nb290 17 Oct 2005
In reply to nb290:

thought of it, but their merino itches!
 Jon Greengrass 17 Oct 2005
In reply to nb290: what are you a man or a baby
 wiwwim 17 Oct 2005
In reply to nb290: icebreaker, NZ, smartwool, USA, need I say more, matey moo...
nb290 17 Oct 2005
In reply to nb290:

tempted to say that i'm neither a man nor a baby, but a woman - the joke suggests itself, but unfortunately (?) it's not true... anyway, joking apart, i like a proper tight fit in a baselayer and a zip neck, which both the smartwool and the icebreaker have. the only remaining question is whether one of them is better in terms of material and workmanship. any experiences?
 wiwwim 17 Oct 2005
In reply to nb290: flat seams, not itchy, tight fit and the original and best. I love my one. icebreaker.
Dave Hunter, Rock + Run 17 Oct 2005
In reply to nb290:

Smartwool.

We could stock Icbreaker. We don't because Smartwool is superior product.

If Icebreaker have sorted out their seams (ie if they are now flatlock) and their cuffs then they'd be nearly as good. And you'd be better with Icebreaker or Rab merino than a polyester. But Smartwool is better.
Dave Hunter, Rock + Run 17 Oct 2005
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run:

I should add hat my Icebreaker stuff has not got flatlock seams so I have to wear it inside out. Not the end of the world but something that's not necessary with Smartwool (which may be US but uses the highest quality NZ merino and is manufactured in Fiji).
 wiwwim 17 Oct 2005
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: my ones made in NZ, but they make em in china now, so perhaps theyve changed.
 Simon Caldwell 17 Oct 2005
In reply to nb290:
The ones from Aldi are the best value, though more prone to shrinking so take care when washing.
The M&S ones aren't pure Merino (unless they've changed recently).
nb290 17 Oct 2005
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: I take your word for it. The only easily visible advantage of the icebreaker techtop may be the very long collar, which you can either double (or triple) up for a nicely protected neck or pull up all the way to your chin. there's something about that for babies like me, but perhaps it's not an important feature at the end of the day.
 Sam W 17 Oct 2005
In reply to nb290:
We used a lot of different Smartwool stuff during an expedition to the Andes over the summer. I was really impressed with it (think everybody else was too), especially it's ability to not smell after two weeks without a wash.
gbuchanan 17 Oct 2005
In reply to nb290:
Icebreaker is now generally flatlocked for base layers (bar a couple of more 'fashion' items). The Tech Top is considered to be base layer, so it may well be flat stitched now. It's worth checking on the current I've got a lot of Icebreaker, and personally find it excellent. Flat stitching really has little advantage for me, so I don't pay attention to that - never had a problem that inspired me to worry about it.
 tony 18 Oct 2005
In reply to nb290:

Icebreaker and Smartwool do the job equally well for me. I haven't been troubled by seams flat or otherwise, and they're both well-made and comfortable. They do seem to use finer wool than some of the other manufacturers (like Aldi) and are not in the least bit itchy. The same can be said about Howies merino baselayers. Have a look at the sale page of howies.co.uk for some improved deals on their stuff (and support Cardigan Bay's third biggest clothing company!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...